X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Well spotted!
    I missed that one.
    Well, I just didn't want to raise the question by writing out the underlying feature since it might get caught by someone, who decides to ask.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

True, forgot about the underlying reasons.

Here is a better list of features, based on the different release versions. I've linked to the version just above the one Poly is using (or as close as I could get to it). There are quite a few changes.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by alva
        IIRC Markos said he would make the change once it had proven itself. (This was some time ago though)
        Markos, We know you have been rather busy, but do you have any input on the likelyhood or advantages of a change?
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

It's a styles question, and all the old styles would have to beturned into VB3 format with an upgrade. (That's an enourmous ammount of work)

Well since I just use the default, I just want one style upgrade .

IIRC Markos said he would make the change once it had proven itself. (This was some time ago though)

Woohoo!

Though until then we should probably upgrade to version 2.3.3 (bug fixes and stuff - I think it is like patch, ie free).
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Just any upgrade is about the same amount of things to fix regarding hacks, so I don't think we will see 2.3.3 here. Also VB licencing is either owned (what Poly has) or subscription. And owned licence comes with one year upgrade serveice and after that you have to buiy upgrade service on yearly bacis. And given that it was a little less than two years since the upgrade from UBB, and since then one upgrade have been done, sometime around one year after the initial upgrade I believe that Poly might not have a service agreement currently, and would have to buy one to get access to upgrades both 2.3 and 3.0, but I might be wrong.

Comment

we'll wait until vb3 is officially released and past the first couple of patches before starting to consider how on earth do a seamless upgrade including what to do with the overlapping features between our multi-hacked vb and vb3(example: vb3 includes "public groups" like our civgroups, but without the icons)
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Markos sighting!

Markos, what licence tipe is Poly having? Do you have suscription to the members area of VB? Or would you have to subscribe to do the upgrade?

Comment

we own a licence and we renew each year to have the ability to get the upgrades(thinking about it, we could have skipped at least one year of upgrades )
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I really don't like vB3, in fact, many people complained about a certain phpBB being replaced with a vB because it was so ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                      we own a licence and we renew each year to have the ability to get the upgrades(thinking about it, we could have skipped at least one year of upgrades )
                      [slightly drunk mumbling]
                      Damn management, always squandering money, even if they don't have any.
                      And guess who will have to come up with more money? Right, the little guy
                      [/SDM]
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

we'll wait until vb3 is officially released and past the first couple of patches before starting to consider how on earth do a seamless upgrade including what to do with the overlapping features between our multi-hacked vb and vb3(example: vb3 includes "public groups" like our civgroups, but without the icons)

Thanks Markos! I'm sure it'll be great .

I really don't like vB3, in fact, many people complained about a certain phpBB being replaced with a vB because it was so ugly.

Well Poly isn't phpBB, it's a vB.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, well. Gramphos nailed it quite well. Upgrading the vB 2.0.3 installation of ACS Forums to vB3 isn't really going to work. First of all it would take years for Markos to have all styles redesigned for vB3 compatibility, rework all customised coding for vB3 compatibility, make sure everything works and to have all attachments and custom avatars migrated. The way ACS Forums has it, the attachments and avatars can't be migrated to vB3 as they are, because they will be lost then. Basically they should be somehow moved back to the database and then have it upgraded, after which they can be moved back to directories. That however isn't going to be easy and risk free - most likely Markos/Dan/Gramphos would have to write their own PHP script for that.

Method,

it depends on how one uses it.

Imran,

you have visions, but lack the know-how for doing it. vB 2.3.4 would work better than some old buggy 2.0.3, but the thing is that ACS Forums are like a Palestinian suicide bomber - it's very wired and trapped, so you'd better not touch it or it blows up. I.e. upgrading the vB installation would cause loads of problems, unless it can't be done on a testbed, so that all issues can be worked out. An upgrade replaces all current files, so all code modifications are lost. And it's not a free patch. It's a full release.
                          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

most likely Markos/Dan/Gramphos would have to write their own PHP script for that.

Or we would just re-upload it when the site is upgraded.
                            Why make things more difficult then they need be?
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Critical application upgrades need to be donein parallel. This allows you to test all functions before rollout. If the rollout turns up problems, you can rolll back.

Comment

Alva,

it's not that easy. I have looked into this issue, as I use vB 2 and 3 for several services. It's not that easy as it may sound, because vB3 stores the files differently (numbered directories and tagged file names).
                                "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
                                X