Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is your Apolyton identity to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is your Apolyton identity to you?

I'm curious about several aspects of being a member of an Internet community, especially Apolyton (of course!).

What do you all think about the following (I've just grouped the questions for expositional clarity, feel free to answer in any way you like)?

I. Your Apolyton alter ego and your real life

Is it important to you to be noticed at the forums? That someone replies to your posts, read your threads? In short, to be "somebody"?

If you feel neglected at Apolyton, does this influence your real life? For example, if you feel attacked by another poster, does this make you sad in real life or you don't care? Similarly, if you feel that someone (who you've never met!) likes you, does it make you feel good IRL?

II. Apolyton for Apolyton's sake

Is your Apolyton alias something you treasure? Do you want to be respected by other Apolytoners or are you just out to wreak havoc in the fora?

Do your posts reflect a desire to be liked or do you want to drive people nuts? In short, do you have a purpose with your Apolyton identity, are you creating a "brand name"?

III. Your Apolyton identity and yourself

Does it reflect who you really are or are you just living out dark sides of your personality that you'd never show in real life? For example, extremely timid and nice boy named Sean uses MalevolantLight to get those scary EyesofNight...

Well? The psychoanalyst's couch awaits you...

Carolus

Oh, and my own reflections will be shared another time. I'm off to a course in spanish...

Hasta luego!

Carolus

Comment

Re: How important is your Apolyton identity to you?

Is it important to you to be noticed at the forums? That someone replies to your posts, read your threads? In short, to be "somebody"?

It's nice when it happens, but not imporant. And I don't feel any need to "prove" myself, here or IRL (when I was younger, yes, but not now).

If you feel neglected at Apolyton, does this influence your real life? For example, if you feel attacked by another poster, does this make you sad in real life or you don't care? Similarly, if you feel that someone (who you've never met!) likes you, does it make you feel good IRL?

Nope. Again, it's good to be liked, but if not, oh well. Again, like IRL.

Is your Apolyton alias something you treasure?

Treasure? Not really. But I do feel the name is my own, if that makes sense.

Do you want to be respected by other Apolytoners or are you just out to wreak havoc in the fora?

As above. On occasion I will troll.

Does it reflect who you really are or are you just living out dark sides of your personality that you'd never show in real life?

It's definitely me. It's pointless and IMO silly to be someone else on an online forum, unless the namesake in particular isn't meant to be taken seriously.

And at this point, I can say w/o hesitation you should be ashamed of yourself.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Well, I am Wittlich and Wittlich is me.

As far as craveing attention goes - Please, I do have a real life after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex

If I'm noticed, great. If not, then so be it. I prefer solidity and dependability over flashiness.

As for how I feel when praised or attacked by other posters — well, I'm human, so I'll leave it at that. Suffice to say, though, I make darn sure to keep firmly rooted in reality — IOW, I don't let what happens on the Internet affect me IRL. My job, family and friends are too important to me for that to happen.

Is your Apolyton alias something you treasure? Do you want to be respected by other Apolytoners or are you just out to wreak havoc in the fora?

Do your posts reflect a desire to be liked or do you want to drive people nuts? In short, do you have a purpose with your Apolyton identity, are you creating a "brand name"?
          Yes, I do treasure my reputation on Apolyton (and all the other forums I post at on the Internet) and wish to earn and keep the respect of others.

I don't think my posts strictly reflect a desire to be liked or a desire to sow discontent. I post what I find interesting, and what I feel my fellow 'Poly members might like to read and contribute to. Sometimes it works, and the thread takes off ... other times it sinks like a rock.

Does it reflect who you really are or are you just living out dark sides of your personality that you'd never show in real life? For example, extremely timid and nice boy named Sean uses MalevolantLight to get those scary EyesofNight...
          The only real difference between me IRL and my 'Poly ID is the fact that my name isn't Gatekeeper IRL. I try to post "as I am IRL" on all the forums I participate in, for the simple fact that it's common courtesy to do so, and the fact that it would get mighty hard over the years maintaining facades that truly didn't reflect my convictions IRL.

Hope that helps, Carolus!

Gatekeeper
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

q cubed is my name irl.

on the boards, it's something else.
            B♭3

Comment

Gatekeeper, didn't you used to be CYBERAmazon?
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex

It's always nice to be thought of in high regard, to be noticed, to be appreciated. I recently took a break from Apolyton, and when I came back a few people asked me how I had been and where I was, and it felt very good.

Absolutely! There are a lot of posters who I regard highly, and if they feel the same about me it's uplifting. This is the same IRL, really.

I 'treasure' it for many reasons. It is my net identity, and Apolyton is the first message board I really visited frequently. I will always treasure my 'netname' because it is a part of who I am - whether you think that's sad or not.

My purpose is to support my points of view, whether that is celebrated or despised.

There's differences I'm sure. I'm not quite as outspoken, though I'm just as opinionated. I'm a little less controversial in real life, but still somewhat controversial. I enjoy a good debate. I like making people look dumb. I can admit that much.
                "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I am one of several thousand members of this forum. Therefore I can't be sad if noone answers my threads or posts, but of course that feels better than not.

For me, being nice, making a good atmosphere on the forum, being myself as much as possible is important. Therefore, if I feel that someone misunderstand me, or if I realize I might have done something wrong, that can be in my mind also when I'm not at poly. But not too much.

See answer over.
                  Well? The psychoanalyst's couch awaits you...
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Apolyton make me feel special, yaaay!

+1

I could care less if anyone responds to my very few threads, but when someone does I get all warm inside. Generally, I don't really care about my own, real-life image, so I guess I could really care less about Japher's image. I only like to keep things, uh, decent so that I can continue to communicate with all you morons
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

No sense to be someone different...so I act like myself online.

I used to visit (lurk) in 98/99 and finally got around to registering. Then I was away from the site during the discussions of suggestions for Civ 3 and started visiting the site again well after Civ 3 was released. I actually wished I had stayed with it since I remember some of the folks from '99 and 2000, but since I didn't post that often, doubtful that they remember me.

It's pretty enjoyable at 'Poly and I'm never offended by someone not responding. It is nice to be recognized/acknowledged, but it would never ruin my day if something unpleasant happened online.
                      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Hey Shogun, haven't seen you around here before. Are you new?
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Hey Japher, I'm offended Now my whole year is ruined....
                          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

At least there's only 20 days left in the year
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

not much. like others said, if people replies to my posts, fine, otherwise fine too. damn, i'm so middle-of-the-road.

If you feel neglected at Apolyton, does this influence your real life?
                              nope.

Is your Apolyton alias something you treasure?
                              not really. it's just a name. incidentally, it is my name in Real Life (TM) too.

Your Apolyton identity and yourself

Does it reflect who you really are or are you just living out dark sides of your personality that you'd never show in real life?
                              it's my real name, so no dark sides here. except for the fact that i'm secretly vying to destroy the world, and i'll start doing it through Poly.
                              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                              X