What is "My Notepad" for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "My Notepad" for?

You know, in the User CP. Why would anyone need it? I don't get it.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

sigh
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Taking notes?

Comment

But can't you just use the regular Notepad that came with Windows for taking notes? And you can take as many as you want, too, not just 10!

I still don't get it. Has anyone ever used it? What for?
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Hehe it does seem pretty redundant. Perhaps it's just a default feature that comes with the software.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

And you can take as many as you want, too, not just 10!
            If you knew what I use it for, you'd find it very, veeeery useful. But fortunately you will pretty soon get to to see what I have been storing there.

Spikey,

it's an add-on for vB. Not a default feature. vB 2.0.3 had quite little of all the feature seen on ACS Forums. There's so much custom here.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

It's useful when you work from different PCs.

Stuff in my Notepad:

- Links and info I need to perform my duties as staff member (links, quote colours, pieces of code/text I use frequently).

- Other (sometimes completely non-Apolyton related) useful links and info I would like to be able to access from any PC, whether at home, work, uni or somewhere else.

- Draft versions of (long) posts/news items/articles/etc which I for example started on at work but couldn't finish the end of my shift and would like to continue working on from home.

- Raw data for statistics threads, like the forum login growth numbers I posted once or twice before (and plan on continuing to posting from time to time in the future), and the 'expansion pack civs poll' I ran in the Civ3 forum a while back. I have Excel files for the 'real work', but can only access those from home. Sometimes I need to access to the data from elsewhere as well.

- Copies of FAQs and the like: posts that need regular (or not so regular) updates and that I'd like to be able to preview before submitting. The Notepad is an excellent preview tool, e.g. for testing how HTML code works out in a vBB context, without publicizing your experiments (read: screw-ups) for all to see.

etc...

That's all I can think of now, but I use it all the time for all sorts of things, sometimes Apolyton-related, sometimes completely unrelated. It's a brilliant feature
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I use it sometimes to hold links when I know I'm going to get that famous 'Poly challenge..."Source?"
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I use it to create a nice render when I open my User CP.

Comment

You're supposed to keep *important* financial data, passwords, phone numbers and home addresses in the notepad. Really.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I used the notepad about a half year ago, to keep links to where the cities in our SC4 MP game where saved

...the links are still there...
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

It can be useful if you want access to text information from multiple different computers. But then, email can do that too.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Re: What is "My Notepad" for?

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                          You know, in the User CP. Why would anyone need it? I don't get it.
                          For taking notes, presumably

Asmodean
                          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I already said that Asmo.

I can see how this could be useful if you switch pc's a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                              I already said that Asmo.
                              Dang....so you did

Asmodean
                              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Working...
                              X