This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'poly policy on no-cd patches...

Just wondering, because I know SNES game ROMs and the like are frowned upon linking to sites which share them, but I'm just wondering about no-CD patches for various games.

Why I ask is that I have access to the Mac SMAC/SMAX patches which just contain the app files as opposed to all the support files and I'll happily share them (and have-which I will delete if I've done wrong) with my Mac compatriots but I'm on the prowl for some others (one in Mac realm and one in PC realm) and wanted to check prior to actually asking around.

Edit: And where should I post my request for such patches if such patches are okay to request on 'poly? (off-topic or game specific?)
    Last edited by FlameFlash; November 21, 2003, 16:39.
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

no-cd patches are illegal on apolyton
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

MarkG... if by some RARE chance a no-cd patch is approved or even supplied by the Publisher of the Game... then it's OK to post links to them... right?
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I would guess that would be true, unless it wasnt a general release (They determine a SINGLE PERSON is having significant problems and provide a patch).

But remember....Such things discussed in PMs are fine
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

There is mp need for no-cd patches, when there are virtual CD apps around.

Comment

i think that official no-cd patches are extremely rare; i've never seen one.

PM is the way to go here, FlameFlash.
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Then you don't get +1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                MarkG... if by some RARE chance a no-cd patch is approved or even supplied by the Publisher of the Game... then it's OK to post links to them... right?
                indeed

for civ3 atari has a support page where you can ask for no-cd sollution if you have a problem with your cd-rom drive
                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Well, the later Europa Universalis 2 patches got rid of the CD check.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

The good folks at Paradox did dedicate that game 'to our fans', so I guess that felt that they needed to do something to make up for the game's painful interface.
                    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                      There is mp need for no-cd patches, when there are virtual CD apps around.
                      Doesn't that require a copy of the CD or something?
                      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Yes, as does installing the game...
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                          no-cd patches are illegal on apolyton
                          And what about if the no-cd patch actually fixes bugs (Non cd related)?

e.g. The game SimCity 4: Rush Hour includes tons of bugs for lots of people after a fresh install ( = weird graphics, menu's doesn't work, etc)... the game is simply just unplayable
                          I applied the no-cd patch, then the game ran without problems...

I wasn't the only one with this problem, lots of other people (on some SimCity forum) had this problem, and I told them how to fix it, and all of them ended saying "Thx, it works now"

I know this patch is still illegal, but it makes the game playable
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

As long as you don't talk about it directly on Poly, no-one is upset by it.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                              Yes, as does installing the game...
                              /me s******s.

I often use such patches for games I buy.........my cd drive is quite noisy.

Comment

Working...
                              X