This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abuse.

Exactly as I thought, Glonkie. Your original thread was a very transparent attempt of trying to get around the forum rule that you are not allowed to create threads to attack specific posters
    XI) What can't I post?
    Insults, flames, hatred comments, spamming, advertisements are an abuse of your priviledge to post and can result to a penalty

Even I think that is a blatant abuse of mod powers. I understand he was provoked by Asher, and Asher can be an ass, but being a mod he should exercise a bit more restraint.

Space:
    I don't think it was an abuse of mod powers, but that's maybe because UR explained me his decision via PM. According to UR (and, I think, he is right), the closed thread had "UR is an idiot" written all over it. The sole purpose of the thread was to take a cheap shot at UR, even though Asher was being subtle.

I agree that UR should have justified his decision in the ending post. I've read he was in a hurry at that time, and hadn't time enough to let the thread degenrate, nor to post a lengthy explanation.

I think UR should profit from this here thread's existence to write a justification about the closure of Asher's thread. This way, people will be able to form an informed opinion on whether he abused mod powers or not.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

there is a flame/insult in the first quote? where?
      whose quote is that? who was provoked by Asher? why do you make my life harder?
      if you're going to make a complaint, explain things fully....
      Last edited by MarkG; November 6, 2003, 08:37.
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

MtG closed the thread and hours later UR came back and made a reply, all he is doing is kicking up dirt.

there is a flame/insult in the first quote? where?
        Exactly as I thought, Glonkie. Your original thread was a very transparent attempt of trying to get around the forum rule that you are not allowed to create threads to attack specific posters
        He's obviously calling him Glonkie because he's trying to get a rise out of him. Also the fact that he did this hours after the thread was closed, knowing well that Asher can not reply.

edit:"Exactly as I thought" rubbing salt in the wound that should have never been opened in the first place with the unjustly closed thread. http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=100935

whose quote is that?
        UR

who was provoked by Asher?
        the person I quoted

why do make my life harder?
        it's 3am and I have nothing better to do
        (and I also believe what UR did was uncalled for)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Space05us; November 6, 2003, 08:42.

Comment

ok. UR please next time show some restraint and dont call Glonkie "Glonkie"

satisfied?
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

edit:"Exactly as I thought" rubbing salt in the wound that should have never been opened in the first place with the unjustly closed thread. http://apolyton.net/forums/showthre...threadid=100935

Im thinking slow right now, give me a break

He's trolling a troll thats been banned for trolling

Comment

Well ther is no doubt that the thread was directed at UR. It does say that since UR said this lets have a poll! A not so subtle attempt to be confrontational. OTOH the topic of the thread (does computer speed matter?) seems to be very legitimate for the OT. Had UR been a more seasoned mod or had the comment been directed at another mod then the thread probably would have survived. Since UR is a new mod then it is correct for him to exercise his authority in order to establish it. He made a good call in closing the thread (If Mtg closed the thread then he was incorrect...he should have left it for UR to do (an important distinction in UR establishing authority.). Also given the fact that UR is now a mod, he should make sure that he takes time to explain the rule violation that is causing him to implement his authority. Additionally he should refrain from name calling when handing out discipline.
              My conclusion is that closing the thread was correct due to the thinly veiled attack on another member, but tat the situation was handled entirely incorrectly.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                ok. UR please next time show some restraint and dont call Glonkie "Glonkie"

satisfied?

Yeah UR... next time somebody who has shown to have a chilidish personal vendetta against you (see Asher's lame whine fest in this forum) tries to play silly and not so subtle games... don't call him Glonkie... just delete his thread and ban him He should learn that it isn't smart to bait mods.

I hope Asher enjoys his vacation... he earned it.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

No doubt!
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Baited and punished. Pretty standard fare.

How a new mod deals with it is a learning experience.
                    Even though I had been here awhile prior to be assigned as a mod, I was still a bit surprised the first time I was insulted/baited/tested just because I wasn't the "people's" choice. And I problaby took more glee out of dishing out the punishment than I should have. I'd like to think I've got thicker skin now and have learned how to deal with it better. But the one thing that remains the same is, if you're going to poke the bear, be prepared for the consequences.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rah, I don't recall your "glee" being very apparent (tho I could have missed your first punishment). You did have the advantage of a front-row seat for Ming's tumultuous christening as Mod, and I think it helped you maintain a little restraint.

UR's elevation has resulted in predicatble vacations for Asher and Zylka. So now that everything from A to Z has been handled, I expect things to settle down.

It was fun to watch, though...
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                        He's obviously calling him Glonkie because he's trying to get a rise out of him.
                        Hm, okay. If you have noticed, whenever I address Asher directly, I have always used that name. You may recall his former handle is Glonk. So, to me, calling him Glonkie is like calling Slowwhand Slowie.

For the record, he has never raised an objection about the reference.

As I wrote somewhere else, I will not do so again in the future.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                          I think UR should profit from this here thread's existence to write a justification about the closure of Asher's thread. This way, people will be able to form an informed opinion on whether he abused mod powers or not.
                          Pretty much as Plato noted above.

There's a forum rule that a poster cannot make a thread to attack another poster. Asher's thread was a very thinly veiled attempt to circumvent the rule.

At the time, I was in a great hurry - I was going to do a roll-out at a client's company and my partner was breathing down my neck. My reaction at the time was it had to be closed, and I was debating whether to make an explanation for it.

I put it together in 5 seconds, and the explanation came out worse than I thought.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                            MtG closed the thread and hours later UR came back and made a reply, all he is doing is kicking up dirt.

He's obviously calling him Glonkie because he's trying to get a rise out of him. Also the fact that he did this hours after the thread was closed, knowing well that Asher can not reply.

edit:"Exactly as I thought" rubbing salt in the wound that should have never been opened in the first place with the unjustly closed thread. http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=100935

UR

the person I quoted

it's 3am and I have nothing better to do
                            (and I also believe what UR did was uncalled for)
                            Asher can PM all he wants. He's already sent me three or four.

As far as an abuse of mod powers, we allow a lot of "flames and insults" because OT would be pretty dead and boring with about two posters in it otherwise. The question is "how much of a flame and insult" and for how long. We're not obligated to take anybody's ****, and Asher will play word games and guardhouse lawyer about how he never breaks the rules and he wasn't baiting UR, and was so concerned about avoiding a threadjack in the Intel thread yadda yadda yadda. Calling him Glonkie is just a way to cut his BS short.

I think UR has shown a lot of restraint after the crap in the Community forum, and UR and I aren't the best of buddies, as anyone who has seen threads regarding Tiananmen square or human rights in China might recall. He took a lot more from Asher, generally without comment or response, than I ever would have.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

He asked for a new rule that UR could not moderate him and his request was granted .....

Comment

Working...
                              X