Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I legally put this unit up for download?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I legally put this unit up for download?

I'm making this unit for personal use, but I would like to put it up for download as well. The unit consists of five gallic swordsmen. If I put it up for download here, then modified PTW/Conquests artwork will be accessible to people who have not bought either expansion pack, which could be copyright infringement. Should I distribute the unit or not?

If I can, I will make multifigure units of the rest of the PTW units.
    Attached Files
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Civ3 sucks.

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

CivFanatics would strictly forbid this. I have started to work long ago on a unit that mixes Vanilla's explorer with PTW's Ghandi (shirt) and PTW's guerilla (head). The result is completely different from the PTW units, yet I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to put it for download...

In your case, pretty much anybody can extract the graphics and use the Gallic Swordsman in his Civ3 game without having to pay for PTW or for Gold Edition. In this case, it seems pretty blatant to me that it wouldn't be allowed for download
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

And Civ3 rules.

Only the stupid and the reactionary can't understand this
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

CivFanatics would strictly forbid this.

I doubt that. I've downloaded lots of multi-unit modded graphics just like JW's from CFC before. They've got a whole forum full of stuff like this.
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
            And Civ3 rules.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
              I doubt that. I've downloaded lots of multi-unit modded graphics just like JW's from CFC before. They've got a whole forum full of stuff like this.
              But aren't all of those units from the plain Civ3, not any of the PtW stuff?
              XBox Live: VovanSim
              xbox.com (login required)
              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
              Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                Civ3 sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by vovansim
                  But aren't all of those units from the plain Civ3, not any of the PtW stuff?
                  Yes, that's the big difference.

If people design original units, or modify units already existing in Vanilla Civ, it's more power for Vanilla Civ (because you need the game to put these graphics to any use). OTOH, if you include PTW content, someone can still ue it without having to own PTW, and it reduces the incentive to get the expansion.

Comment

There's a Multi-unit at CFC with the Joan of Arc king unit (from PTW) and two pikemen.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Since they include PTW freely in the C3C pack, I doubt they will contact their lawyers to press charges on this

-
                      One thing though Jag, I use some the multiple units but I must say, I don't think it's 'works' for every units, it's great for airplaines but less so for other units IMO.
                      -
                      Oh, and can we stop these "civ3 sucks" posts please
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

hi ,

*WOW*

nice unit JW

, as for copy right , well they gave the editor with the game , so there should be no problem , ......

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I doubt that Poly would be sued if I put it up, but I'd like to hear an official OK from the Admin or Ming.

Comment

This is idiotic. For one thing, we don't worry about people who don't own ToT or CiC or whatever using the appropriate conversions in the Civ2 section. For another, holy egg of Cthulhu!
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

If I put it up for download here, then modified PTW/Conquests artwork will be accessible to people who have not bought either expansion pack, which could be copyright infringement.
                              By that logic, we shouldn't talk about the game at all since anyone with programming experience can read about it and write a game similar to Civ3. In fact, nor should we hum music because a pirater might play it by ear, and put it up for download on the internet. We shouldn't discuss books because people will get knowledge of them without having paid the authors!

Your thinking will surely cause the collapse of society. I sincerely fear this kind of thing.
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                              X