Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unintended side effect of relieving the server load?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unintended side effect of relieving the server load?

I noticed that when avatars disappear to relieve the load on the server the possibility to jump forums (below the last post in a thread) disappears also. An unintended bug perhaps?
    Attached Files
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Is ith there in the light styles?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Don't know, I still use the style I got stuck with when I registered four years ago...

Anyway, the forum jump drop-down and button are quite usefull so they should be there in any style.
      Once again...

Comment

Yes, I use it often, but I do tend to use the main page more often as it gives me a view of where there are new posts.
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I've noticed the dropdown bar has disappeared at times recently. It didn't use to happen when the avatars cut out to reduce the load on the server.

Comment

it's also part of the temporary server load reducing measures
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I remember it stated somewhere that the forum jump bar would be removed at higher loads. Unfortunately it is by design. The good news is that it will come back when the server load decreases (like now).

EDIT: I should refresh pages I have had open for half an hour before replying. Didn't see Mark's reply.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

The easy way around this problem is to bookmark forums in your favourites list. That's what I don't do.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Or you could subscribe to the forums you like and use "my apolyton" to quickly get there.
                  badams

Comment

Way to recommend your own advice, BC.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Or you could use Opera and just back out to the main forum index without seeing any poppycock about pages having expired.
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                        Or you could use Opera and just back out to the main forum index without seeing any poppycock about pages having expired.
                        But I do use Opera...

I just open threads in a new window now and after reading them reload the OT page. Should have done that before.
                        Once again...

Comment

Working...
                        X