Custom avatar problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom avatar problem

Okay, I'm trying to change my custom avatar. The girl in the picture to the left is a friend of mine who died of cancer and now that she's been sent on her way with all due ceremony, I think it's time for a change.

I made a little gif that was well under 10000 bytes and tried to upload it at the custom avatar screen in User Profiles. Then I clicked on Submit Changes, and instead of uploading anything, the computer just deleted the location field for the gif.

Am I doing something wrong? Has this feature been deactivated? Has anybody else found this problem?
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

It might have something to do with the dimensions of the picture.

Comment

The limit is 80x80 pixels.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I had that with mine, too. I used MS Photoeditor to size mine down under the 80x80 limit and was able to add it.

Comment

Did it take 'uploading time' before the delete?

In that case it's probably someting wrong with the image. Otherwise I'd suspect your webbrowser for causing the error (You aren't using IE3 right? (I remember it can't upload files...)).
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

an 80 by 80 jpg is usually around 2000-3000 bytes unless there is motion.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well, he should notice if the line just empties, or if seems to send sometihing to the server. At least by a page reload.

Comment

I remember getting a warning message when mine was too big, but it's been awhile since I submitted one that was too big.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, you shall get a wrning. It's however possible that the file size can't be determined du to varius reasons, and if that's tha case then it might just bring you back as a result of an unhandled error.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                    an 80 by 80 jpg is usually around 2000-3000 bytes unless there is motion.
                    An animated jpeg? Can you teach me how to make one of those?
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

An animated jpeg? Can you teach me how to make one of those?
                      Well, you will have to redefine parts of the format to support an image array. and a delay for each entry (The easiest way that is)

Comment

At least we will know when she has succeeded.
                        She seems to have given up for the moment though.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Heya all.

The image itself is around 76x80 pixels. I remember that limit from before so that's definitely not the problem.

The image itself takes up like around 2 or 3 Kb on the hard drive, which shouldn't be a problem. However, I noticed that when I clicked properties, it said the file size on disk was about 16Kb, which might.

I know very little about actual memory storage as far as computers go. I'll give this another try but it's not looking rosy at the moment.
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Maybe attach it here and a graphics expert can take a look at it.

And we could see if you succeeded, were avatars enabled at the moment.

EDIT: Ok, it has changed. Congrats.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                            X