Simple Request for the News - Forums linking system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Request for the News - Forums linking system

i'd like to see bookmarks (a name=blah) implimented on the news pages (ie, www.apolyton.net/civ3/) and approiate links made availible from the news link dropdown box at the top right.

it's not a major issue, but if i want to skip 4 reviews of Civ3 and jump right to new conquest pics, it'd be cool if it moved the screen there for me.

survey says?
    Ja.
    60.00%
    Nein.
    20.00%
    Bananafaustenburgerstein.
    20.00%
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Re: Simple Request for the News - Forums linking system

Originally posted by Uber KruX
    i'd like to see bookmarks (a name=blah) implimented on the news pages (ie, www.apolyton.net/civ3/) and approiate links made availible from the news link dropdown box at the top right.

it's not a major issue, but if i want to skip 4 reviews of Civ3 and jump right to new conquest pics, it'd be cool if it moved the screen there for me.

survey says?
    Hmmmmmm... can you elaborate on what you mean exactly? Provide a specific example, perhaps? That way I can better address your request.

-----------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I think he means having the dropdown news box and other linked news articles linking directly to the article's spot on the relevant content page.

For example, he clicks on a RoN news item from a few days ago. Instead of just taking him to the RoN page, it takes him to the section of the page with the news article.

Comment

Ahhh. If so,
        Doesn't seem like it would take too much to implement on a "from now on" basis.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

alright, i'll explain it in more detail

on any given news page (ie, www.apolyton.net/civ3) there are the 10 most recent articles. in the dropdown menu at the top right of the forums, there are 30 items of varying type.

looking at the dropdown menu right now, there are 4 RoN articles i'm not all that interested in, then near the bottom theres "Known Issues with Third Patch Beta", which i'd like to check out.

so i select it, and hit go. it takes me to the top of the RoN news page, and i scroll down to find my news story. no biggie, just a minor annoyance.

you could make it automatically jump to the news you have selected thusly:

in the code on the forum page, you currently have this for each menu item:
          Code:
          document.write ('[option value=http://apolyton.net/ron]27.Aug/RoN: PROBLEM FIX, ADDED INSTRUCTIONS:...');
          you would then change it to somethinhg like this, assuming you have some sort of news id variable (i pulled 411 out of my ass). alternatively, you could just use the news title.
          Code:
          document.write ('[option value=http://apolyton.net/ron/#411]27.Aug/RoN: PROBLEM FIX, ADDED INSTRUCTIONS:...');
          then, on the news page itself, you would modify the code (i'm assuming it's PHP/MySQL) so that when a news title is outputted, it has a name tag around it, refrencing the news id.
          Code:
          [a name='411']PROBLEM FIX, ADDED INSTRUCTIONS[/a]
          get it?
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Sounds okay, but no biggie. I think we should assure us that the problems of Settler II is gone before that al least.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I'd rather be able to delete multiple items at once from the uploads section

Comment

Ahhh yes, now I follow you Uber KruX. It's a good suggestion and I like it.

However, our news script does not have that functionality built into it -- at the very least, the version of it that we're using -- nor have I heard of a modification for it that would allow for what you are proposing (although that, of course, does not mean that it does not exist and is not available for download somewhere at present).

If anyone knows of any modification to the end posted above for the Keld newsscript (it's PHP driven), please let me know and I'll look into it further.

----------
                Dan; Apolyton CS
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Working...
                X