The "reply with quote" feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "reply with quote" feature

I happen to use this feature pretty regularly, and I noticed a while back that, in the quote of the post I'm quoting, any quotes made with the [QUOTE] or [quote] tags are removed (I think I've seen ones that use the [q] tag included). This is extremely annoying. I understand that it can be convenient at times, but I think it's more of a hindrance than a help.

I've noticed this myself and IIRC quotes that use the [q] tag are not removed. So the solution is probably for everyone to get into the habit of using that tag and when they use the reply with quote feature to change the auto-placed tags appropriately.
    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
    XGalaga.

Comment

I just copy-paste and use quick reply with [quote]. Never found a real reason to use "post reply".
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

If you do that you have to put the smilies back in manually.
        American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
        I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
        Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
        XGalaga.

Comment

Hmm?
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

you can't just select someones post and copy-paste it with the smiley code intact. That's what reply with quote can be good for.

Comment

quote:

Hmm?

Notice how when you quoted me the smiley disappeared? Notice how when I quoted you the quote tags disappeared?
              XGalaga.

Comment

Reply with quote the original quote in a new window, cut-n-paste to achieve desired result.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

It takes longer to open up the reply form than to use the quick reply box, so I only use the reply form when I want to attach something.
                  XGalaga.

Comment

Originally posted by geeslaka
                    quote:

Hmm?

Notice how when you quoted me the smiley disappeared? Notice how when I quoted you the quote tags disappeared?
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I use that feature when I think that it is relevant to mention who wrote that text that I'm quoting, because the "reply with quote" automatically add the "originally posted by..." line.
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Re: The "reply with quote" feature

[QUOTE] Originally posted by skywalker
                        I happen to use this feature pretty regularly, and I noticed a while back that, in the quote of the post I'm quoting, any quotes made with the [QUOTE] or
                        tags are removed (I think I've seen ones that use the [q] tag included). This is extremely annoying. I understand that it can be convenient at times, but I think it's more of a hindrance than a help.
                        To get back to actually addressing the point made.

Yeah I agree at times, but I guess if the standard was to include the previous quotes then it could get chaotic unless the poster pruned. This way if you really feel the previous quote was necessary you can add it in manually. Probably it's the lesser of two evils.

Comment

you can't just select someones post and copy-paste it with the smiley code intact. That's what reply with quote can be good for.
                          I know. I don't want that smiley to be there.
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I would like to see internal quotes included in quotes; I would also like to see the contents of [img] tags -- both of these are definately available.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                            X