This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More things to take down for server load

I'm sitting here thinking of the longterm server load Apolyton is facing, and I think there's quite a few more things we can trash in the event of heavy load.

Forum View
    -the Message Icons
    I don't notice them, and I doubt they're absolutely essential to a thread.
    -Live Chat box
    This should be an absolute last ditch measure, as the chat is often a refuge while the site itself has gone to hell.

Thread View
    -Sigs
    We've read everyone's sig. We don't need to read it 500 times.
    -CivGroups
    I believe this is already done.
    -ICQ, AIM, etc.
    I've never used these. I doubt they are used enough to be on every thread. Besides, if it's that important, put them on the User Profile.

Post New Thread / Post Reply
    Simple--Everything! Load disappears.

If Apolyton must ever get donations, I suggest that once in every 5 loads, a page is replaced with a loud WAV file of Markos saying "Whut, you think I pay for this place with my ****ing looks?" with an invitation to donate to the site.

Also, the Apolyton Directory could be temporarily disabled if there was a serious deluge.

Just some thoughts add your own.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Re: More things to take down for server load

Originally posted by mrmitchell
    I'm sitting here thinking of the longterm server load Apolyton is facing, and I think there's quite a few more things we can trash in the event of heavy load.

Forum View
    -the Message Icons
    I don't notice them, and I doubt they're absolutely essential to a thread.
    Do you mean the envelopes or the smilies?
    -Live Chat box
    This should be an absolute last ditch measure, as the chat is often a refuge while the site itself has gone to hell.

Thread View
    -Sigs
    We've read everyone's sig. We don't need to read it 500 times.
    You can start off by removing your sig and turning off your view sigs option in you control panel. Tell us how much it decreases load time.
    -CivGroups
    I believe this is already done.
    It is not. I can still see you civgroup icons.
    -ICQ, AIM, etc.
    I've never used these. I doubt they are used enough to be on every thread. Besides, if it's that important, put them on the User Profile.
    I agree. I haven't used any of these either, but I haven't been here long.
    Post New Thread / Post Reply
    Simple--Everything! Load disappears.
    Be more specific. Everything would mean no way to reply or start new threads.
    If Apolyton must ever get donations, I suggest that once in every 5 loads, a page is replaced with a loud WAV file of Markos saying "Whut, you think I pay for this place with my ****ing looks?" with an invitation to donate to the site.

Also, the Apolyton Directory could be temporarily disabled if there was a serious deluge.

Just some thoughts add your own.
    I suggest we remove flags.
    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
    XGalaga.

Comment

Re: Re: More things to take down for server load

Originally posted by geeslaka

Do you mean the envelopes or the smilies?
      The smilies! The envelopes are essential.
      You can start off by removing your sig and turning off your view sigs option in you control panel. Tell us how much it decreases load time.
      I didn't ask for an answer I could execute and help myself with.
      It is not. I can still see you civgroup icons.
      I meant, it is done when the load is high.
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Re: Re: Re: More things to take down for server load

Originally posted by mrmitchell

The smilies! The envelopes are essential.
        Ok. I was just a little confused.
        I didn't ask for an answer I could execute and help myself with.
        I just think you should do the noble thing and collect some information for a decision to be based upon.
        I meant, it is done when the load is high.
        I wasn't aware of that because I usually get timeout on server messages when the load is that high.

Another thing to remove: The ratings field. I have yet to see a thread that has anyrating, good or bad. Removing this field would help in thread and forum view.

After switching my theme to default-ultra-special I noticed a spell check button. I don't think anyone uses it.
        American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
        I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
        Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
        XGalaga.

Comment

Gee... yet ANOTHER thread about the slow server and things to do... Just what we need.

Feel free to cut and past your comments in one of the other MANY threads... I'm sure you can find one that's appropriate
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
          X