Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should thread starters be allowed to request their threads be locked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should thread starters be allowed to request their threads be locked?

I've heard a lot of complaints about this. Should the thread starter have that much control over their thread? What if the thread takes on in a positive different direction with interesting discussion?

Granted this doesn't happen an aweful lot, but I'm going to do that right now. I figure I will attempt to let my embarrassing thread fall to the depths of the Apolyton purgatory.

On a side note wouldn't it be nice if we could change the thread titles and lock the threads ourselves?

P.S. vote quick- I may just request this thread be locked
    Yes
    68.00%
    No
    20.00%
    obligatory banana option
    12.00%

We usually will close a thread on the request of the starter as long as we think their reason is ok...

That's policy...
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

yes they should be able to request a close

Comment

I voted "banana", because from what I have seen, if the thread starter requests that the thread is closed, it is closed, like Ming said. But if you mean there should be like a button that says: "request thread close" on all the threads you start, I'd say no. Not enough reason to do that.
        XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by vovansim
          But if you mean there should be like a button that says: "request thread close" on all the threads you start, I'd say no.
          You can already just use the report post feature in the thread and state you want your thread closed and give a reason... But most people just send a PM. Nothing else is really needed.
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

I voted yes. I like that possibility but I like even more the "change the thread titles" ourselves. It could be useful and we don't have to bother the mods about it.
            >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

Yeah, why not.

EDIT: For requesting closing threads. Changing titles ourselves could be exploited.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I you make a mistake, you can already edit it in the first few minutes... after that... SB is right... the abuse potential is way to high.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

But is the same thing that editing your own posts. Editing the titles could be able for those few minutes but if you do it after that time the "edited by..." message should also appear. That way people could think it twice before editing their own thread titles.

Well and if there's a reply w/quote message of the first one, the original title would be on that message too.

Comment

Nahhh... it's different, because the title appears on the forum menu. If somebody doesn't like a subject, they can avoid it... but you can't avoid crap being posted in the title. It would be easy to play "silly" games...
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

I vote yes to letting thread starters request their threads be closed, but a mod shouldn't allow a thread to be closed just because the starter isn't hearing what s/he wants to hear.
                      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                        It would be easy to play "silly" games...
                        Perhaps, but that's when the mighty mods came to action with some kick @$$ ban power
                        But you're probably right.

BTW; I sent you a PM

Comment

As much as I would like to say we see all the minute it happens... we can't. At least when the crap is restricted inside the threads.. it's not as obvious as it can be in a thread title. I've seen many nasty games in my years as a mod here... I like it the way it is now
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

As much as I would like to say we see all the minute it happens... we can't.
                            Hearsay! Burn the heretic!

Comment

I've seen many nasty games in my years as a mod here...
                              Both as a trouble-maker and as a mod too, so you must really know your stuff.
                              If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Working...
                              X