Column #220 (Part 4); By Spiffor L'Omnivore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Column #220 (Part 4); By Spiffor L'Omnivore

The fourth and final part of the two-hundred-and-twentieth edition of "The Column" is now online. Written by Spiffor l`Omnivore, it is entitled `What Makes A Good Civ Game (Part 4)`. In this edition, Spiffor breaks down the fourth and final two of eight points needed towards building a good Civ-style game.

Comments on this piece are welcome in this thread.

-----------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

finally, the final one.

no more making fun of the name.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Last in a good set Spiff

Comment

Nice.

Prompted by an early comment in the piece I would add that the main reason civ2 still retains many players is that it has not been equalled by later games. WC1 and Doom were bettered by later installments, so that is IMO why they have no remaining players, not the inherent lack of moddability.

Comment

Once again, thanks Dan for the editing and the publishing !

I hope you all have enjoyed the read as much as I enjoyed the writing, and I hope my essay helps you to understand what are the objective qualities of a good Civ game
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Actually, Doom2 still has a strong community.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Comment

But as big as Civ2? And is this because of DOOM alone or MP or mods? Many people still play vanilla Civ2 without mods. There's even ocasionally a noob who buys it straight off hte bargain bin.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Erm, thanks for bumping the thread, I guess ?

Besides, I'm surprised that Domm still has a strong community. I expected all those ID fans to follow new ID games, like my RL friends have done. With the limited moddability of Doom (at least, compared to Quake1 and Quake3), I'm surprised such a community continues to exist.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Oh yeah, great series
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

a good read , all of them..does it come in a jewel case box set on disk
                      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                      X