Trimming the fat from message threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimming the fat from message threads

As someone who has lurked for a while at Apolyton and then finally became a member a while back, it has been a pleasure to learn about and discuss TBS games here. So first off, in case this is not clear in any way, I must say that I enjoy Apolyton immensely and wish it only the best; this message is intended in that spirit and will hopefully prove to be constructive. Sometimes it feels like I've spent as many hours on here as actually playing the games discussed. When the chance came up to join an empire for Galactic Civilizations, it was only natural that I found myself in the Apolyton one; I enjoy the community aspect of this place as well as the knowledge and discussion itself.

Which leads me to the subject at hand: the forums, and specifically the way message threads show up when you read them. I realized recently that the only part of this site that seems annoying to me on a regular basis is the long time it can take to load up message threads, and how difficult it can be to easily read the text within them because of the clutter. Specifically, the pages of threads seem so cluttered with extra stuff that take extra time to load up and can get in the way of readability when trying to get through a lot of message threads.

With some checking, it seems that there are specific "extras" that show up in every message or message thread which could made optional or eliminated entirely. This would speed up the time taken to load each page, and drop the load on the server as well. Currently it can take over 5 seconds to load up a page with just one message on it, and more than twice that long to load pages with 10 messages. The following is a list of 15 items which pop up on every message thread that could be made optional or cut down (this is with everything optional turned off in my User Control Panel).

Community Info
    These are pieces of info that show up in each individual message that either give info about the member (user) who wrote it, or ways to communicate with them. These could all be put under the Profile of the member, or at least be made optional (from your own User Control Panel) to give a choice whether you want to see them on each message. Note that most of this info is already available in the member's Profile, it just also shows up in each message that he writes.

On the left side by the member's name:
    1) The member's country flag
    2) The icons for all the lists that the member is in
    3) The member's location and local time
    4) Whether or not the member is online
    5) The AIM, ICQ, and Yahoo Messenger info on them

The yellow icons across the top in the middle:
    6) More of the same sort of items: the icons to email, send a private message/instant message, see the member's homepage, add the person to your buddy list -- none of these are needed on every single message. The Find more posts by and Profile are the two main ones that should always be there; one relates specifically to the Forum, and the other contains all this other info so people can access it easily.

All of the info listed above pertains to who the member is, and how to contact them. While it is very nice to be able to have access to this info, it seems redundant and wasteful to have it posted on each individual message. Honestly, how many people are reading a message and think "I wonder where that guy lives... oh look, it says right there that he lives in China! And it's 8 hours different over there than here! Now I wonder if that info is actually true..." The few times that people do wonder about that, they can look it up in the writer's profile. Having the Profile icon handy makes it wonderfully easy to locate all the info that someone could need about a member, and then some.

Other Info
    There are other pieces of info that could be eliminated entirely, or made optional.
    7) The Search box and dropdown -- Something that you either use a lot, or very rarely. As such, it could be made optional, especially since there's a link right above it to access the more full featured search page.
    8) Get Post ID -- This icon is on the top of every message that every person who reads the board can see, but (presumably) can only be accessed by the board admin. If the board can be smart enough to realize this, it shouldn't show this icon unless you can actually click on it without getting an error.
    9) Edit/Delete Message -- Ditto on this: if you aren't the message's author (or an admin with access), you don't need the icon to edit/delete the message.
    10) Chat info -- This makes up at least three lines across the top and can get rather lengthy (or it could when the chat was active.) There's already a Chat link further up, this is just 3 more links to get to the same place. This could be an option to have on if you're a chatter and want to see if your friends are around; I would guess that well over 90% of the members here never go into the chat unless there's an event with it.
    11) Post Quick Reply -- Something else that could be optional and save a lot of space if it weren't there, including the three buttons relating to it. Personally, I almost always go into the main posting screen to write a message, both because I'm a perfectionist and because I often want to include links and am too lazy to type it out myself. For others who don't use the quick reply (or are one of the majority of people who read messages here but rarely write them) it would be worthwhile to turn this off.
    12) Forum Rules -- These are sometimes necessary to see, given that there can be some forums where the rules aren't the default. But to post them on every single message thread seems duplicative. Given that they're already on the main page for each individual forum, they could certainly be optionally turned off.
    13) Listing of time spent generating the page and loading it -- As useful as this was for writing up this particular message, it probably isn't needed for 99.99% of the times that people read messages, or do anything else on the site for that matter. Again, could be optional.
    14) The translation box -- Since I read English and (most) postings here are done in that language, obviously this isn't something I'd use very much, but I'm sure many others do. For those who find it useful, it seems a very nice tool to have handy... as, you guessed it, an option.
    15) The three line site navigator at the bottom -- This one may just be personal preference on my part, but I would guess that not many people use it often. The only thing I've ever used this for is to go back Home, and then I usually make my next selection from the main screen. (I only go to that list for the Home link because it's nowhere to be found at the top of the page; I kept clicking on the main Apolyton Civilization Site graphic at the top until I finally started remembering that when you're in the forums it doesn't take you to the main apolyton.net page, but only to the forum page.)

So there is a list of links and icons which show up on every message page that could be made optional, or for a few entirely eliminated. I have no idea how easy or hard it would be to make these sort of changes, so if it's time consuming it may not be worth it, with all the other work that goes into keeping this place running and up to date. Given the tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of displays of message threads that are shown here every day, though, it seems like if these ideas would be possible to implement they would make the load a lot lighter. I'm curious to hear feedback on this, and if people do use those links so much that they couldn't be made optional.

Some good points about making things optional, but I believe it would take an insane amount of hacking and coding to make these things individually toggleable for people.

Personally, I like having all the stuff that is displayed right now.

Comment

you can speed up loading times by using the light styles
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: Trimming the fat from message threads

Originally posted by Pyrkaige

With some checking, it seems that there are specific "extras" that show up in every message or message thread which could made optional or eliminated entirely.
        Personally, I find Poly's "extras" to be invaluable. I post at another fairly active vBulletin forum that has almost none of the features Poly has. Not even a "My Threads" option. And it's a nightmare posting almost anything there compared to here, where I have a wide variety of nice options. 99% of what you think should be optional I use everyday, and from what I can tell, most other posters do as well.
        "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I use a lot of things everyday too, and, as ixnay said, making this individually toggleable would be a nightmare for the admins, but I have to agree that some things could be streamlined, like those links to PMs, email and buddy lists on the top of every post -- they could be all left in the profile for that poster.

And some of the things, like the location field, doesn't seem to have a huge impact in page loading times, at least not for me.
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I almost ALWAYS use the quick reply, unless I'm attaching a file.

Comment

How about just deleting all the inactive posters that have 0 posts, and haven't visited the site for the last two years?

Comment

Also, I doubt we need two ICQ buttons instead of one...

Comment

how about people are only allowed to post once when possible

Comment

Deleting the accounts which haven't been used in two years sounds like a good idea.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It is faster to put some of the items on all the posts (e.g edit button) than to check when the surfer should be allowed to see them.

Put me down for somebody who swears by the Quick Reply box.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        Deleting the accounts which haven't been used in two years sounds like a good idea.
                        Hehe, but that would mean 'Poly's number of registered users will go down.

Comment

They could delete 'em and just lie about it. I don't think any would call them on it.

Comment

number of registered users is not affecting speed
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                              you can speed up loading times by using the light styles
                              http://apolyton.net/forums/misc.php?...aq&page=10#154
                              Well, that was certainly good to see; thanks for the info! Switching to the Light styles does help somewhat, although it doesn't deal with most of what was mentioned above. It might be worth mentioning prominently in the faq that those styles can actually speed up page loading; there may be others like myself who assumed from the faq info that it just dealt with color schemes and ads.

Originally posted by Static Universe
                              Personally, I find Poly's "extras" to be invaluable. I post at another fairly active vBulletin forum that has almost none of the features Poly has. Not even a "My Threads" option. And it's a nightmare posting almost anything there compared to here, where I have a wide variety of nice options. 99% of what you think should be optional I use everyday, and from what I can tell, most other posters do as well.
                              The point of something being "optional" is that you can choose to have it or not. I certainly don't think that any of these features should be removed from the boards. But as I mentioned before, it could prove useful to have them as options, assuming it's not too much work to make them so.

As for the idea that "most posters" use 99% of what I listed, I highly doubt that (exactly how do you use a person's alleged nationality when writing a post, I would be curious to know.) Even assuming that is the case, it is beside the point. There are (very roughly) at least 10 times as many page views of people reading posts than writing them. It seems logical to set up a system whereby that vast majority can read the messages without spending extra time waiting for things to load that they don't need.

Overall, it looks like some sort of "Super Ultra Light" style that allows for these changes might do the trick, assuming that links can be totally removed within styles and not just modified in how they are displayed. Whether or not it's worth the effort, I haven't a clue. Given the large number of page views that Apolyton serves up every day and the comments lately about load speeds, it seemed worth mentioning.

Comment

Working...
                              X