Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Free Nihilist Guild

The Free Nihilist Guild (FNG)

If you wish to join the guild, please post in this forum or PM myself. You do not have to declare your membership to anyone but myself, if you wish to remain secret.

The Free Nihilist Guild is a Utilitarian lobbying group that follows the teachings of Chairman Sheng-ji Yang. It is dedicated to the idea that the Glory of the Hive is our overriding desire, and should be aimed for above all else.

The name is both taken from a Yang quote that Hive society is “Nihilistic” and from an idea of Fredrick Nietzsche’s, that the world has no meaning, no order, and that is what makes us free to act as we please. This, combined with Jean-Paul Sartre’s Existentialist idea that life is "gratuitous", gives us a major characteristic of the guild: that what we believe to be right or wrong, our morals, should only be dictated by it’s consequences to the Hive. If an action is good for the Hive, then it is a correct action. If it is not good for the Hive, it should not be taken. Since neither the world, nor life, has any meaning, other than life itself ("life's fundamental truth: that life's only purpose is life itself" – Chairman Yang) there needs be no other consideration than what is good for us, for the Hive, as a whole.

This belief lends itself to certain policies, which form our manifesto, our declaration of how the Hive should be governed:
    • The environment should be protected to the extent it helps us, without stagnating industry. Rising sea levels are not good, but neither is a lack of production. We must strive for a balance. That usually means early fungal pops, to help us later, as espoused by Archaic and GeneralTacticus.
    • We should use all available technology, regardless of the ‘moral value’ attributed to it by any individual – this brings us to another Yang quote:
      Why do you insist that the human genetic code is 'sacred' or 'taboo'? It is a chemical process and nothing more. For that matter -we- are chemical processes and nothing more. If you deny yourself a useful tool simply because it reminds you uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly and pointlessly crippled
      yourself.
      However this must be tempered to be for the good of the Hive. We do not support technology that does not aid the Hive, and the re-actions of others must be considered in the consequences for the Hive. While we have nothing against the use of Planet Busters, other do, and we must decide whether it is in the best interests of the Hive for all other factions to be at war with us, to be able to use a Planet Buster. That will depend on situation.
    • A Police State is the only way to effectively run a society. That is given; it is not a point of discussion.
    • Further to this, a great man once said:
      Freedom is an illusion
      (Source). It is neither something to be considered nor something to strive for. Freedom is only as useful as the effects it has. While worker moral needs to be considered, in terms of extra production, force and nerve stapling has been shown to be better at improving production, and is safe to use (Source).
    • With the exception of Police State, which is always the best option, all other SE settings should be chosen by their relative benefits to the Hive at that time. Thought Control is usually the best choice of future values, and though all economic systems and values are available, and should be on the table, my personal beliefs is that a Planned/Power system helps best in our efforts to bring all other factions under our Glory.
    • Religion is a useful tool in giving workers reason to work, and the General Secretary should be perceived as a demi-God by the masses. However we must remember at all times that there is no purpose, no reason and no meaning to life, and that there is no God. Religion should know it’s limits, and must be suppressed if it moves beyond them, although it should be used whenever it increases the Glory of the Hive.
    • We must bring about the complete and unconditional surrender of all other factions. That is the Glory of the Hive. War must be utilized whenever it is beneficial to that aim. Life is not sacred. There is no reason not to torture prisoners we capture in order to get information. There is no reason to spare life when it is beneficial to the Hive to kill. There is no reason to tell the truth when a lie will serve the Hive better. This principle of Utilitarianism should be applied to all decisions that must be made.
    • There is much enjoyment to be had from the pursuit of evilness. Following the Utilitarian ideal, enjoyment is a good thing. Combining this with the fear to be gained from other factions, so long as it does not hinder then Hive unnecessarily, we should strive to be evil. There is nothing to be gained from the silly notion of goodness, unless it is shown to be better for the faction, which is extremely rarely the case.

In short, The Free Nihilist Guild’s main beliefs:
    • We should be true to Chairman Sheng-ji Yang’s teachings.
    • We should always run Police State, as our faction ideal. All other SE choices should be dependant on circumstances, with a slight bias for Planned/Power.
    • We should always choose the option that is best overall for the Hive, regardless of ‘petty emotional foibles’.
    • We should spread the Glory of the Hive to other factions, by force.
    • Industry should be maximised to the point where the environmental effect is a bigger negative than the industry positive.
    • Religion should be used sparingly, but not crushed completely. It has it’s uses.
    • We should strive for evilness, or more importantly, not strive for goodness.

Most points are debatable among members, and can be changed. The first 3 of the main beliefs are the core of the guild, and are set, however.

Guild Members:
    DrogueFNG Leader, Secretary of Foreign Affairs and First Secretary of the (to-be-named capital) Republic.
    Lemmy - Secretary of Factional Defense.
    Method - The King of Spam, with the most Rec Commons posts of any active Citizen.
    Timbba - I don't actually know much about Timbba but from my limited dealings with him in multiplayer, seems like a nice person
    Last edited by Drogue; October 18, 2003, 21:29.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

There can be only one party in the Hive, namely: Thé Party.
    But besides that, I quite like your program. Though I would disagree when you nihilistically say the world has no order or meaning. After all, you say yourself later that the purpose of life is life itself. Isn't that a purpose or meaning?
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
      Though I would disagree when you nihilistically say the world has no order or meaning. After all, you say yourself later that the purpose of life is life itself. Isn't that a purpose or meaning?
      By no meaning I mean no external meaning. Sartre and Nietzsche, as I am sure you are aware (you posted the thread about reading Nietzsche?) believed that because there is no external meaning to our lives, and thus in the big picture, no consequences to our actions, we are free to do whatever we wish. That is what I was alluding to.

However, when I say purpose, I mean a verb, such as the purpose of eating is to sustain ourselves. Therefore the phrase the purpose of life is life itself is a bit of a misnomer, in the sense that it is a phrase used commonly to mean that life has no meaning. Personally, I would presume that if the purpose of something is itself, that means it has no purpose, in the way we use the word purpose, but that since it exists, it's meaning is itself.

That's how I see it, but the quote is simply illuding to what Sartre said about live having no meaning, and what Nietzsche said about the world having no order or meaning. We are free because there is no 'point' to life. From what I understand of the Yang quote, it is meant to mean that there is no God, there is nothing beyond the grave, there is nothing extra to life except what we have here before our eyes. There is nothing to be accomplished in life other than to live.
      Smile

Comment

Ah well, we just use the words differently I guess.

Though I would agree we are free to do what we wish in the sense of there not being some external meaning or absolute moral system (in that sense I agree with Nietzsche), I would say that on the other side we will always be unfree since we are inevitably bound by the internal order of the universe.

There is nothing extra to life except what we have here before our eyes. There is nothing to be accomplished in life other than to live.
        I can certainly live with that.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Hmm, a lot (if not all) of the points are similar to the points i would have for my SSK party...

/me ponders a bit

Drogue, sign me up as a member..i don't think i'd have the time to run a party myself anyway
          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
          Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Signed up Welcome to the Party
            Smile

Comment

HERCULES!!! THIS IS COUNTERREVOLUTIONARY!!!
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I like this party, even if it tends to lean a little to the liberal side (eg. The environment should be protected to the extent it helps us, without stagnating industry). It has potential.

However the secret police are at the behest of whoever is in power ( or so we leave them to believe.
                On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
                  The environment should be protected to the extent it helps us, without stagnating industry
                  Surely anything would go against the teachings of Chairman Yang.
                  If you deny yourself a useful tool simply because it reminds you uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly and pointlessly crippled yourself.
                  This works both ways. If we do something, even a pro-industry thing, that harms the Hive, then we have "uselessly and pointlessly crippled ourselves". If something benefits the Hive we must take it. That position will be heavy on boreholes and very pro-industry, but we must remember the environment has an affect if we cross it. Losing bases to the sea is crippling ourselves needlessly.

Anything other than what is for the good of the Hive is revolutionary and must be surpressed.

All for the Glory of the Hive
                  Smile

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
                    I like this party, even if it tends to lean a little to the liberal side (eg. The environment should be protected to the extent it helps us, without stagnating industry). It has potential.
                    the environment?! i spit on it!
                    /me spits on it

sign me up drug, and i promise you as little activity as is possible

Comment

Never fear Method, the environmental credentials of this party have been drastically overestimated. It thoughrally supports the 'Swiss-Cheese' approach to borehole production

And welcome
                      Smile

Comment

Members of the FNP, I bring you news from our General Secrertary, Maniac. There was aruling the the word 'party' was not allowed to be used in names. In his ever insightful generousity, Maniac has permitted us to continue to use it. We have a choice to make. Do we continue to use our original name, The Free Nihilist Party, or do we obey the law and call ourselves either The Free Nihilist League or The Free Nihilist Guild? Or do we think of another word to end with?

Please post what you wish us to be called in this thread. FNP, FNL, FNG? The choice is yours.
                        Smile

Comment

(Opens up the colony pod mini-network console and finds the FNP sign-up form)

(Joins the FNP)

(Curses when fifty pop-up messages praising the glory of the Hive pop up)

Comment

Welcome Timbba, it is nice to have new members, and please feel free to contribute. Currently there is a debate regarding the naming of the party. There was a poll showing that the only party is The Party. However we were given dispensation to keep our name the same, since it was decided before the poll. Do we obey the poll and change our name anyway, or rely on our special dispensation and keep it as it is? Other possible names are the Free Nihilist League, the Free Nihilist Guild, the Free Nihilist Lobby, etc.

What's your opinion?

Originally posted by Timbba
                            (Curses when fifty pop-up messages praising the glory of the Hive pop up)
                            I thought it would be appropriate to show my true patriotic feelings. If you have a problem with this, I am sure Hercules will be abl to re-educate you on the Glory of praising the Hive
                            Smile

Comment

/me has a slight preference for Guild, but League also sounds ok.

*cough*sub-faction*cough*
                              <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                              Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Working...
                              X