New PBEM game - SMAC only (not SMAX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PBEM game - SMAC only (not SMAX)

New PBEM game. Would like to get 7 players together if possible. Please, only regular players.

Options are whatever everyone else wants, but I was thinking:

- Huge map (random)
    - Accellerated Start
    - Blind Research OFF
    - Steal tech when conquer
    - Normal lifeforms

And the 'regular' AC multiplayer rules, including "no contact until you meet", etc.

I'll take whatever faction is left over at the end of the signup. Or, if everyone would like, I played a game once where we rolled dice to see who got which faction. Up to you guys though - majority rules.

Just respond here, and we'll get the hot multiplayer action going.

Claw919

By 'regular players', I meant people who PLAY regularly (as in 'often').

Comment

Well, I'm in then. Would love to play the University, unless you dice for the factions. Either way...

Comment

I would like to join your game and play as the Spartans. I have never played a SMAC PBEM game before, but I am experienced at Alpha Centauri, and have been playing on and off since the game came out.
        Anyway, if you do not want multi-player newbies in the game I'll find another game, but I would imagine that I could hold my own against most human opponents.
        Last edited by Dynamo; April 28, 2002, 20:01.

Comment

Nope - the more the merrier. Since it'll be a 7-player game, it shouldn't be too bad for you to ramp up.

Ok - 3 so far. Sparta and the University have been taken. 4 to go!

Comment

I'll play !
            Don't worry Dynamo, I'm new too. ( But that don't mean I'm a cream puff either )
            I REALLY like this roll the dice idea.
            If not I'll take Gains .
            Suggest : Huge world,
            No steal tech when conquer,
            Abudant native life,
            Blind reaserch

I don't really know what accelerated start is all about, so I'll vote against that.
            This is what it means to be a Spartan. It's not the killing or the suffering that matters. It's the purity of focus, without fear of death or pain.

Comment

Originally posted by KrysiasKrusader
              I'll play !
              Don't worry Dynamo, I'm new too. ( But that don't mean I'm a cream puff either )
              I REALLY like this roll the dice idea.
              If not I'll take Gains .
              Suggest : Huge world,
              No steal tech when conquer,
              Abudant native life,
              Blind reaserch

I don't really know what accelerated start is all about, so I'll vote against that.
              Get real! Why would anyone agree to abundant native life when you've claimed the Gaians?

Sorry, Dave. I think I'll pass on this one. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose

Get real! Why would anyone agree to abundant native life when you've claimed the Gaians?

Sorry, Dave. I think I'll pass on this one. Good luck!
                Okay, then I'll take Morgan, ... if thats easier for you.

And who's "Dave" ?
                This is what it means to be a Spartan. It's not the killing or the suffering that matters. It's the purity of focus, without fear of death or pain.

Comment

Heh. I'm Dave. I'd asked Mongoose to join personally, since we go back a few years.

(Actually, he's lucky that we were on the same team, or I'd have wiped Planet clean of his scumbag followers - but that's neither here nor there... though it DOES likely explain why he doesn't want to go toe-to-toe.

Ok, 4 people so far. 2 votes FOR the dice rolling, 2 people who didn't bother to cast a vote (shame on you both - may you forever rot in the bowels of an elephant with gastritis).

3 more people to go.

Krysias: You can take whatever faction you want (Gaia or Morgan or whatever) - just definitely take into account that, like Mongoose said, nobody but a totally new player would agree to put more mindworms on Planet for you to capture.

Once we get 7 people hooked up here (hopefully tomorrow we'll get the other 3), I'll need you all to check in with your email addresses. Don't put them in forum unless you want spam.

If Sin Man and Dynamo could let me know what they think of the dice-roll selection, that'd be great.

Oh - and the only setting I'd *REALLY* rather not have on is Blind Research. Like, if the choice was between "use a potato peeler to shave off a layer of skin on your arm, or have blind research on in the game", I'd probably check the sharpness of the peeler.

But majority rules.

Comment

Although I kinda like the concept of random faction selection, Ithink that for this game I would rather just pick my faction normally.
                    I personally agree with all of your rules(especially the absence of blind research), except that I would rather play on a large map than a huge map; its no big deal for me either way though.

Comment

I won't object to rolling the dice, but except for my very first game (as the Gaians), I have literally NEVER played anything but the University. So my tactics may be pretty sub-par if I end up playing someone else.

(I guess that statement may have just sold every else on the concept of dice-rolling, in retrospect... oh well).

Comment

Okay. So, that's 2 votes FOR dice rolling, 2 against.

Also, that's 3 votes for a HUGE map, 1 vote for LARGE.

3 votes for blind research off, 1 vote for it on.

3 more players needed.

Comment

I'd love to join, since my two favorite factions (the university and the greens) have been taken I'll take the hive. I vote for acelerated start, huge map, blind research OFF (I agree with dave, I'd choose the potato peeler rather than have this on..) and normal native life. I'm against the dice roll (though its an interesting idea...need to get better with a couple other factions first however, can't deal with playing the believers or morgan at all)

Thanks claw!

Comment

How about rolling dice with one veto? For example, I would rather not play the believers so:
                            1 - Giains
                            2 - Hive
                            3 - University
                            4 - Morgan
                            5 - Spartans
                            6 - PKs.
                            Re-roll any factions that have already been taken, starting from the first yes to the last yes? Sounds like it could be an interesting idea.

If not, I'll take the morganites, huge map, blind research off (shudders), average everything.
                            Play hangman.

Comment

Great - just one more player needed, then.

Looks like we're still split on dice rolling. I don't think the veto would work, since we might have 5 factions say that they don't want to be a particular faction (say, the Believers) - that means the remaining 2 have a 50/50 chance, really defeating the purpose of the dice roll.

Chaunk (I'll have to ask you about that nickname later.. - with that being said, would you still want the dice roll or no? If you don't, then it's 4-2 and the roll is out. Otherwise, it's 3-3 and the next player will decide.

Blind research is out as well, obviously (5 against). Huge map is in (4 votes), and it looks like average everything else (mindworms, land area, etc).

One more player needed, and we'll get underway! Looking forward to it.

Dave (Claw919)

Comment

Working...
                              X