Builder-Momentum Team Series #1, second thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn to Mark
    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

• "The Provost was seen very nearly falling off his chair in a fit of laughter at {{censored}}. This indirectly represents a major triumph for the causes of the University and the Believers.

God bless Morgan!!

Turn of the century to Garth.
      We're back!
      http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Comment

• Turn to Googlie.

Spartan Official Announcement

With our combined empires behind in every measureable quantity, and no forseeable way to redress the differences I have ordered all Spartan Military forces that haven't already defected to somebody else to surrender to the University-Believers alliance. We have extracted considerable vengence, no more good will come from additional struggle.

-Executor Vader

Spartan News Communication

After Elite Spartan Commandos destroyed a Believer base and the last of Spartan Missile command was used to obliterate New Jerusalem, all Spartan Military units surrendered to the superior forces of our enemies. Executor Vader was later found dead in his office with his Chaos pistol in his hand. A note was left taking full responsibility for the atrocities committed under his command.
        Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

• I will admit that since probably the first PB strike, the game has been over as a contest. Still, I am glad we played on since Mis left, this has been a very enjoyable game - thanks to Garth for gamely playing both factions after she went

It was an uneventful game for the most part my side of the pond - up until 2160 or so the only real action was a couple of probes on their way to Googlie's bases, which he defended very well - for the most part, my existence was quite untroubled up to that point.

I must admit, though, that after that point I had the feeling the game was slipping away from us a bit (usually known as Mark's traditional mid-game crisis - it seems to happen every game ) with the PKs and the Spartans both contributing a good tech rate - while mine was very good as well, Googlie's was quite poor, and in the long run it was obvious that they would out-tech us. Ten years later or so, you guys got the tech lead, and we realised we had to move. The idea of a Morganic invasion first came immediately after the discovery of D:AP (2160-ish?) but Googlie struggled with his economy all game, and it wasn't able to get off the ground until he threw a few choppers up.

Nonetheless, I arrived with reinforcements soon after, though in hindsight I needed a few more (and I could have sent a few drop troops as well) - still, the prospect of the Spartans taking Morgan territory wasn't something I was relishing, and we needed to move fairly quickly. Googlie got the HSA which helped hugely, and from that moment on, it was always going to be uphill for you, I think.

The rest is history - a PB to your HQ was basically to speed up the process. I thought you guys played well, although I think the sheer technological power of the UoP in FM (we were in thinker, so I could run it without problems) told in the end. We were also lucky with the relative factional positions - though you played the diplo-game with the AI far better than we did, I always felt my economy was strong enough to withstand an attack.

Anyway, thanks to Googlie, for being a great partner, and Mis and especially Garth for being sporting opponents - it was a good game in the end.
          We're back!

Comment

• I echo Mark's comments - thanks for staying in to see it more-or-less through.

I did struggle between Fundy/Planned - which gave me immunity from mind control as well as a decent drone-control ability - and Dem/FM or Dem/Planned. never did get the big Believer machine rolling, although the chop and drop was fairly effective against Morgan - just had to juggle probe teams to ensure he couldn't strike back that way (as he did to Garth)

But the game did hinge on Mark's tech rate and, periodically, his energy credit production (althoigh Morgan helped out too with some legitimate loans and some unintentional "gifts"

Good game (and I still don't understand why Mark didn't incur sanctions with his PB'ing)

G.

Comment

• We had problems getting to Ind Auto and you guys beat us to that and tree farms by quite a bit. I had figured we were out of it quite early.

I had also wanted to get the Empath guild so Mis and I could both get infiltator and deny it to you.

I was surprised when Mis got governor and that we were ahead in tech rate. I actually thought we had a chance then. I had planned a massive nuke strike on Mark followed by an invasion of Googlie if he diverted his forces to attack Morgan.

I usually play the Hive and so I was dismayed at how few PB's I calculated I'd be able to build. I took the Spartans so I'd be able to fight well in early wars I usually play a large, not huge map, so I didn't expect everything to be so far apart.

By the time I'd saved enough crawlers for a couple of PB's Mark had already started building his outlying bases and an air force so I wouldn't be able to protect my planned PB bases. I scrapped the plan.

Every plan I had, everything I wanted to do, one of you guys beat me to it by a few turns. That's the mark of a game well played

At least I have the distinction of being the only one with their Capitol at the end

Comment

• Originally posted by Garth Vader
                At least I have the distinction of being the only one with their Capitol at the end
                Ah, Phyrrus, you are alive and well !!

(At least Sinister Sister Googlie escaped the destruction of NJ - she was over in Morgan Industries preparing for the surrender of Nwabudike - at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

G.

Comment

• I had also wanted to get the Empath guild so Mis and I could both get infiltator and deny it to you.
                  That was probably the biggest moment in the early game - I said to Googlie a couple of turns before we built it that I think the EG would decide basically who goes into the mid-game ahead...I don't know how close we were to not getting it, but I can imagine it was a pretty close run thing. That allowed us infiltration, anyway, which became pretty crucial in the end.

By the time I'd saved enough crawlers for a couple of PB's Mark had already started building his outlying bases and an air force so I wouldn't be able to protect my planned PB bases. I scrapped the plan.
                  Yeah, I expected a strike of some description at some point - though to be honest, I imagined it would involve probes at some point, which I fairly heavily defended against. A PB strike I hadn't banked on, but I knew you were headed in that sort of direction with your beeline, so it was always a possibility.

Heh, yeah - I think it's amazing this game that considering the amount of PBs that were thrown, how little it actually damaged anyone. Glad it didn't become a slugfest, anyway, which it was threatening to do - we knew we had to move pretty quickly.
                  We're back!

Comment

Working...
                  X