Turns of ADB002 (Aldebaran MP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turns of ADB002 (Aldebaran MP)

I have sent 2301 off to Qantaga. Qantaga, hope you and yours are feeling better. Go easy on the games for a few days. Free medical advice from a non-medical person.

Player turn order is same as ADB001, I think.

- Scipio
    Last edited by Scipio Centaurus; September 23, 2001, 22:42.
    Delende est Ashcrofto

Thanks for the well wishes, Scipio (here) and Smack (ACS003 thread).

I followed Scipio's excellent PC instructions step-by-step and I am happy to report that I most definitely played an Aldebaran turn.

One little problem. In the ADB001 thread, Smack stated that the order would be:

Planetlovers: Qantaga
    Syndicate: Scipio
    Universality: AI
    Nauticon: JohnDMuller
    Outlaws: Smack
    Galactics: AI
    Peacemakers: Arima
    However, when I finished my turn, the game screen said that it was the Peacemakers turn. So, I sent the turn to Arima. Hope that's okay.

Comment

I did? Hehe...it could be Santa Claus's turn and I'd be happy. It's working (where's the finger-crossing smilee?).

The turns for this game should be:

Scipio
      Qantaga
      Arima
      JohnD
      Smack
      AI
      AI

I think. I made a new scenario customized to our turn-order and Scipio started it as he is the first player. Passing to Arima was correct.

-Smack
      Visit Aldebaran:Aldebaranweb

Comment

Ah, it seems things are working

This is probably not the best place to go into detail about my own adventures, but I don't know where else to go ...

I have had a great experience playing the Galactics (I'm surprised nobody picked them, with their industry and cheap(er) research!) and (finally!) beating up the computer after a slow start. The AI IS more difficult, with all their free SE bonuses. It's really demoralizing to infiltrate someone's datalinks and see that they're paying only 4 minerals per row. Human players can't get that even with +6 Industry! Must be that Transcend level takes off 3-4 minerals per row (I can never remember exactly which one it is) directly instead of indirectly through SE, and thus with the built-in +2 or 3 industry AI bonus, they get down to 4 per row. It would be really scary if the AI managed a +5 on the SE scale and got down to 1-2 minerals per row!!

I missed most of the early secret projects (but not the transmitter trials - I *think* it's more important than the datalinks give it credit for! It seemed to give me +50% more minerals at every base instead of just 2, making its cheap price a real bargain!), but luckily the first rival that I obliterated (Syndicate) had a few choice SPs, namely the HGP and DF (WP in normal AC). It took quite awhile to beat them down to size - those great colorful worm things are really tough to take out, with all their special abilities! I ended up using some amplified scout artillery to soften them up, and purple artillery to weaken everything else (amplified and purple together are waaay too expensive, though I did make 1 of those!). The problem with the worms is they have EMC for rovers and tanks, AAA for copters and noodles, and if you send in a plain amplified scout infantry, their fungal sentinals will utterly destroy you. I ended up killing the worm with a purple infantry after getting it down to half power with artillery.

I didn't really notice any difference in sea bases - I think there's an extra mineral on bases and mineral bonuses, making them a bit more hospitible, but that's a general change and not just for sea. I didn't notice any difference in mining platforms (except that their so expensive!), maybe it's because I haven't researched the tech that gives +1 minerals on mining platforms. But I'm about 50-60% down the tech tree...

Anyway, good luck to all!!

EDIT: It's a little weird that pressure domes are available so much earlier than recycling tanks, but I guess it forces you to work harder early on for those extra resources. In any case I like it

Z

Comment

Turn passed to JohnD.

Good luck all!

Comment

Zakharov VII,

Good to see you're having such a fun time on Aldebaran! A great place to post your experience would be Aldebaran Public Release which gets neglected over there in the Creation threads. In fact, I would greatly appreciate it if you copied your post and reposted it there as well as in the Aldeb Strategies Thread . Both threads could use a little less of me defending the game and a little more from players! BTW, could you email me about the 'special' native life you discovered? I want to make sure its natural and didn't spontaneously form (alde_baron@yahoo.com). Thanks,

Smack

Comment

It will most likely be several hours before I get to my turn due to various athings, including RL and fiddling with methods of swapping/renaming files. If necessary, I just do it manually until I trust my automation. I believe I can get the turn off before 8PM at worst. Sorry for the delay.
              J

Comment

Smack - I "Private Message"ed you about the worm (I would have e-mailed but I wanted to get a feel for how "PM"ing worked, hope you don't mind), and I will post my latest adventures in the threads you mentioned as soon as I eat breakfast

EDIT: Of no great interest, but I just snatched view #500 at the no crawlers thread

Z

Comment

Turn 2301 to Smack/Outlaws

I created a batch file to rename/check files back and forth and things were definitely different when I loaded the Aldebaron'ed version, so it is reasonably safe to say that I was in Aldebaron. It looks nice so far . It was also nice that the pod I popped in the first game as an IOD came up this time as a sonar scan.

Obviously, I've got a bit to learn viz-a-viz the way things work there. I don't suppose anyone has a visual rendition of the tech tree in some form or another (I promise not to critique the artistic merit)?

Comment

And 2301 comes to a close:

I find myself (well, I knew where I'd be, so 'find' isnt' the right word ) on some vast landmass. There is a river nearby, providing water and shelter for our troops. How could it be that we can breathe...**cough**..or try to breathe this horrible air. And I thought Penal Colony # 9 was bad. It seems that so called 'humans' from another planet have landed somewhere on this dreadful planet. I must make contact with them before they fall prey to the Galactics. I know all too well that the Galactic hordes won't leave me alone and in peace....Peace...for the first time in my life I don't have to look over my shoulder, hide behind every boulder and building. It truly is a dream realized, and I am greatful for every inch of Non-Complicity Base.

-Colonel Awen Llavella (aka Smack)

Comment

2302 to Qantaga.

Our investigation of the caldera of the long dormant volcano has determined that there is no chance of establishing a colony anywhere near the rugged terrain near the volcano's top.

Matsumura threw down the report in disgust! "Remind me to have the commander of the scouts flayed alive! Why does he waste time investigating areas of land which any fool can tell will not support permanent bases." he raged inwardly.

Matsumura yelled at his aide-de-camp to send orders to the scout commander to get his troops down from the caldera and resume the search for fresh water sources and other signs of habitable land.

The aide bowed low and backed hastily out of the expedition command tent.
                      Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

2302 passed to JohnD.

Comment

Obviously, I've got a bit to learn viz-a-viz the way things work there. I don't suppose anyone has a visual rendition of the tech tree in some form or another (I promise not to critique the artistic merit)?
                          I think I know what I'm doing tonight

-Smack

Comment

Turn 2302 to Smack/Outlaws

Summertime(?) and the living is easy.

Comment

Turn to Scipio/Syndicate. I had a look at making a graphical tech-tree. Might take a few days. Remember that you can access all the techs via the F2 screen and then datalinks untill we have nice flow-charts for Aldeb.

-Smack

Comment

Working...
                              X