AC Succession game in parallel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Succession game in parallel

At Anunikoba's request, and due to the large interest in the succesion game, I'll be starting a SMAC game in parallel to the SMAX game. For the most part this will be just the same as the AX game so that we can possibly compare notes.

The basic idea, if you didn't read Anunikoba's post, is to play a single game, as a single faction, in succession, taking 10 or 20 turns and passing it along to the next player. The game goes round and round until it's finished.

I'm going to limit this first game to 4 players so that we might each get 3 or 4 turns...see the math below. Here's how the turns would probably go:

Four Players:
    1. Players A-D play 20 years each it's now 2180
    2. Players A-D play 10 years each...2220
    3. 5 years each 2240
    4. continue at 5 years till victory.

Six Players:
    1. Players A, B, and C play 20 years each 2160
    2. Players D, E, and F play 10 years each 2190
    3. All players continue at either 5 or 10 year intervals.

The game setup will be:

Lal of the Peacekeepers, Thinker level, average random large? map. Standard PBEM type rules, though this isn't competetive, it's cooperative.

Post your interest and email and we'll get started! (If you don't wan't to post your email you can send a PM using the forum to get it to me). The game will be pretty much democratic, but for two reasons we'll not want to change much once we get going. 1. It's hard to 'discuss' changes over a forum or email and is slow. 2. We're trying for some sort of consistency in the mode of play so that we can compare/ enjoy the differences in style. So, also post any additions and changes you want to make to the game NOW, rather than in the middle of the game.

O.k., TKG and Cybergod, I'm assuming you're in this one, so we need 1 more to get the first game going. After that I suggest that the next 4 players use the same map and start a second succession game. We'll compare our games at the end. Who knows, maybe like Anunikoba suggested we could work our way through all the factions?

Happy Crawlering,

Smack
    Visit Aldebaran:Aldebaranweb

could we do another faction? gaians maybe? that way we can do planned at the beginning w/out too much of a problem (-3 effic: ouch!) if not, then i guess we could do lal, and i'll get back to you on the thinker thing. i'm doing my third and hopefully last librarian game right now so i think i'll be ready for thinker when we're ready to start.

and just for us un-enlightened people, what are standard PBEM rules?
    Attached Files

Comment

TKG, Not a problem to consider these potential changes. Let's have a look

1. Changes will make our Smac game significantly different than the Smax game
      a. but....it's already a different game
      b. but if we keep it as similar as possible, the differences that are there will be highlighted.

2. Lal. Lal is a pain, but he has good points and bad points like most factions. I'd encourage us to keep him for the compare value.

3. Level of difficulty. The only reason I see to stay at a harder level would be to keep it interesting for the veteran players and of course to compare to the Smax game.

That said, I think it should be up to whoever's playing as this isn't an official compare or challenge game, it's just for the fun of it. So, to work out our choices here's some rapid democracy (ie bypassing the legislative process): If someone's suggestion is seconded, it is a 'majority rules' decision. Interested parties would have 24 hours to vote yea or nay. If a suggestion get's no replies/ is not seconded in 24 hours, it fizzles. If there is discussion and tweaking of an idea/rule/suggestion/whathaveyou, no 'vote' is taken to count untill24 hours after the last 'tweak'. Ok, ok, this sounds a little control-freakish , but I'm interested in actually playing the game more than in discussing the details, hence the rush-democracy. Maybe I should just lay down the law? But then it's not OUR game. So, we'll see if your suggestions get taken up as more players join the forum.

-Smack

Comment

P.S. Here's the : Apolyton PBEM Tournament Rules
        Not that's its a tournament, but the basic ideas are good ones
        -Smack

Comment

I'm in whatever faction! (except Believers )
          Last edited by Cybergod; July 14, 2001, 17:09.
          ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
          ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

I would be interested in playing. My email address is tony@tlafave.demon.co.uk
            'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

Smack is this enouth people? I think that 4 people (including SITS) is enouth to start. We could post the turns to each other and discuss our strategies here.

What level is it? It should be either transcend or thinker since four heads are better than one .

Also, we should have a vote on which faction we should play as. I say one of the hybrid factions because we all have our own ideas on what should be done (I mean Gaians or PKs).

Comment

Alright, with SITS, that's four, and we'll get the first game underway in 24 hours, barring any additional changes. I'm applying my rules about our decision-making from above, so if TKG will still play, the game is as stands in the proposal. IF anyone wants to back-up the proposed changes or make additional ones, now's the time.

I'm going to move our play threads over to the MP forum under the title: AC Succession Game001. It'll be nice to let this thread die here and free up the 'current-threads' of the quite frisky strategy section.

So speak up! In 24 hours I'll start the game. Oh, one important question! I don't care to go first one way or the other...I don't mind, but if someone else wants to, I could set up the game or they could. Let me know.

-Smack

P.S.
                [Following are some ideas...they aren't important to answer necessarily, so skip them if you want]

Additional notes..queries: Are we playing this mainly for the fun of it, to compare strategies with other players in the game, to compare this with a nearly identical Smax game, or for other reasons? Would you consider playing through all the factions eventually? Would you consider taking detailed notes to help in game analysis and a possible Smac database?

Comment

i still think we should play gaians

Comment

Originally posted by TKG
                    i still think we should play gaians
                    Me too kinda, cos I am sick and tired of playing Lal all the time in my MP and SP games . Gaians sound intrequing . Anyway, we should start to discuss our strategy now. Will we follow the capital (Free Market), tune in with the Planet (Green) or harness our industrial and growth capacities (Planned) and f*** efficiency? (this ain't a funny matter though...)

What map Smack? I suggest we play either huge or normal map of Chiron (Planet, whatever you call that brown land).

Comment

Well I was just set to start, good thing I checked one more time....that's a 'Second' for the Gaians (I'm trying to keep out as much as possible) so we will now use them unless there are any objections...the further 24 hours to 'approve' this decision can also be used to speak to Cyber's suggestion about using the Map of Planet. If I don't hear, I'll just go ahead and use it, as it's close to what I was going to do anyways...

Again, anyone else want to play the first 20 turns? The more I think about it, the more I'd like to have at the first 20, so I can then sit back and watch what you all do with my beginning !

So, ETS 8pm EST on Monday.

-Smack

Comment

Originally posted by Cybergod
                        Will we follow the capital (Free Market), tune in with the Planet (Green) or harness our industrial and growth capacities (Planned) and f*** efficiency? (this ain't a funny matter though...)

What map Smack? I suggest we play either huge or normal map of Chiron (Planet, whatever you call that brown land).
                        we should harness our industrial and growth capacities, and F*ck efficiency, because gaians have +2 effic and w/ children's creche... and gaians can't run FM.

as for the map, i say either huge map of chiron, or dense cloud average fungus, average or strong erosive, and the middle land size. the medium ocean coverage is best because usually your continent isn't too small, but it's not too big that it's connected to like 3 other factions, therefore creating earlier war.

actually i think we should do the generated map because of the bermuda triangle on the map of chiron (refering to my post about the disappearing transports )

Comment

Heh, I agree with you about the strategy...**** efficiency. But it'll still be fun to see how we each play. I warn you, if I go first, look for an expansionist empire par-excellence with very loose (read none whatsoever) defensive measures and a focus on IA and the restrictions.

-Smack, who's getting itchy to start.

Comment

I personally would prefer Gaians and a suggestion for the map would be to use DilithumDads Ulitmate Builders Map.

I don't mind starting but then I don't mind being last and it sounds like Smack has already drawn up plans!
                            Last edited by SITS; July 16, 2001, 05:36.
                            'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

the beginning what i do is

1st base build-scout, then colony pod then Weather paradigm

2nd base-scout colony former then probably HGP or maybe former after HGP

3rd base-(colony pod from 1st)scout colony former

etc inserting early early SP's and keep colony podding until continent is full. by the time the WP is done, you have a lot of bases and formers so you can start the condensers etc early. very important to guard the WP base though as soon as its done or miriam will come along with a recon rover and take out all ur empire

but really 20 turns isn't very long. so if you do the above the WP should be done by the time the 3rd player is going.

i also think we should do lots of early boreholes so that when the energy restrictions lift, the labs get down from 20 to 5 turns.

of course you don't have to do that but all these things have always been good for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X