Experimental Multiplayer Information Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Multiplayer Information Form

Recently, someone posted that they may be willing to do some CGI programming to enable and maintain a database with SMAC player, challenge, and CMN lists.

Inspired by his post, I put together some ideas on what a basic player entry form might ask for.

Could you guys (and gal) take a look at it and submit your comments here or by e-mail? Thanks.

http://www.sirius.com/~tfs99/pages/mpform.htm

tfs99@sirius.com

SMAC n ... Ted S.

Ted:
    I've checked out the form... it seems to cover pretty much everything. Nice one!
    The only things I might add would be a section asking what map size people prefer to play on (with the obvious caveat that large maps mean looooong games), and maybe a section on direct IP play, asking people (a) whether they can do this at all, and (b) if so, what their online time window would be.
    Cheers,
    Nell... wondering how long until Ted starts charging us for his sterling support??

Comment

1> you ask for an ICQ#, I do not use ICQ. I prefer Yahoo Pager, others still prefer AoL Instant Messenger. Using a multip choice box, indicating the 3 may be better, and a second fill-in box for ICQ#, Yahoo ID, OR whatever AoL IM uses of identification.

2>PBEM password. this can vary from game to game. I don't think these are necessary fields.

3> I would include more prefrences. namely being: Planet size, water coverage.

cloud cover, native life and the other "non critical" setting being included would be nice, but with some many diffrent prefrences, you may never find a match.

4> CMN experience/availability is missing.

otherwise, looks great.

[This message has been edited by cousLee (edited May 09, 1999).]

Comment

Morgan isn't available as a faction.

What does acceleration mean.

What's with the AI or neutral human mean (pardon my ignorance with the lingo).

In Warlords everyone uses icq. From what i've heard its also the most common and easiest to use. I see no problem in only mentioning icq (to lessen clutter). Besides if you don't have it.. just go get it !

Maybe include civ2 experience ie. can be diety:
        "never"
        "once in a while"
        "all the time"
        "only by cheating" :0

Civ2 and smac are *very* similar and could be a useful addition.

-- Hugh

Comment

I had ICQ, didn't like it, uninstalled it. Got Yahoo Pager, like it, use it.

less clutter? well Morgan is not on it.

Accelerated start, AI or neutral human (CMN)
          A CMN is someone who plays the first 30-50 turns, then forwards the game to the first player. The AI program for accelerated start is not all that desireable for some.

Why have Civ experience on it? that is a diffrent game, and THAT is what I would consider clutter.

Comment

I don't get why should you store a PBEM PW: I have one different for each game I'm in, and the CMN did set them for me, except one.

You could rather include the least favorite faction.

As for specifying game preferences, e.g. Planet size, someone (me, for instance) could like trying different settings in different PBEMs.

Great job tho, Ted
            MariOne
            I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Ted,

This is very cool stuff. A few remarks :

- why have an "other" field for time zone ? Just make sure they're all in the list...
              - You need the times when people can play, not just their time zone. Have them submit their availabilities in GMT
              - password is different for every game, and I don't like to give my pwd anyway. I think it is useless.
              - Include "want to play PBEM / Multiplayer type of game" check boxes
              - Responsiveness, well, that's a tough one. I'd put a field to state the number of turns that can be played per day (for example, I check messages constantly on week days, but can only play at night when I get home)

Your efforts are appreciated. Keep up the good work.
              Aredhran

Comment

Mario: This time, *you* beat me to it

Good catch with the least favorite faction field. I forgot that one.

Aredhran

Comment

Many good calls, as well as a good start Ted.

There should be a slot for alternate email address's

I agree with cousLee, that there should be a selcetion box for ICQ, AOL IM, or others, or none, and then a field for entereing the info.

The time fields should be availability to play. Available From: ----- To: ----- expressed in GMT of course.

No password fields, even if this info is available chiefly to aspiring CMNs, they are players too and then they would know generic pw's and so on. Assign me any password you want and I will write it down, (right JAMuR?)

I agree we only need SMAC experience listed, I never played CIV II, but lost a couple months of my life to CIV, and none of that matters, if I say I am good at SMAC then we accept that and move on.
                  Mario, good call on least favorite faction.

With difficulty should go the map and world preferences, Size, ocean, cloud coverage, and Native life, A small world with little ocean, arid, and abundant life is a much differant experince and difficulty than large, 50 - 70 % water, heavy clouds, and little life.

Change Acceleration to Accelerated Start, we could also include how many turns to be accelerated to or to what degree people would like to have their games started to.

Responsiveness should be tied in with GMT availability, with in my window I am very quick, but if I get the game turn at 11:00 AM GMT then it will be at least 12 hours before I will send on the turn.

As far as reliability goes I am more concerned with how others view your reliability than with how your willing to portray yourself.

Some overall problems with this system, as Mario stated there are many times that I want to play something differant, or I want all the settings to be unknown to me. Or if I play transcend level then I would prefer this setting, but if I am playing Librarian then anything goes, etc.,

So far I have had no problem starting a PBEM game, in fact my problem has been with knowing when to say no to a game. I am not sure that a database is just that necessary.

Goob

Comment

thanx Goob...
                    and here goes the hasty Longobard, you AredH ran but now slowed panting...

Once a girlfriend (well, sort of... former g/f best friend... ) said to me:
                    "the thing I most hate in someone, is when he just can't say NO..."

MariOne
                    -just reached the age of condensus...
                    I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Took me 5 total games to utterly destroy transcend aggressive AI. Am i just gifted? No, I played a lot of civ2.

It may be clutter but i thought it would be a useful bit of info.

-- Hugh

Comment

Working...
                      X