No announcement yet.

Players wanted - 3 x 2 set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The currency idea sounds interesting, though to keep factions balanced any faction that would normally start with two techs (Zak, Aki, Sven, Roze, maybe Fungboy) should have a corresponding advantage over any faction that normally starts with one.
    If you actually have an auction, then we should place bids on each of the early SPs and whoever bids the most pays it, and gets the SP at that price. Some other mechanism that actually resembles an auction would also work to ensure that SPs are unique, and appropriately priced.

I'd be happy enough to play with two factions of my opponents' choosing. In that case, I'd veto Fungboy.

If we go with Kody's teams, I'd prefer the Domai + Aki.
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
      any faction that would normally start with two techs (Zak, Aki, Sven, Roze, maybe Fungboy) should have a corresponding advantage over any faction that normally starts with one.
      That might be a rule for single-faction games set up this way (or if we go with the "foist a faction" set-up). In the above example, though, each pair of factions would start with 3 techs (if we postulate that the uni starts with 2 and has to buy both) so there'd be no disadvantage to any combo.

If you actually have an auction, then we should place bids on each of the early SPs and whoever bids the most pays it, and gets the SP at that price. Some other mechanism that actually resembles an auction would also work to ensure that SPs are unique, and appropriately priced.
      I agree.

What would make this interesting, though, is the pre-start planning . Do I go with 6 colony pods and 2 formers, and accept the early tech stagnation and lack of exploring that scouts represent? Or maybe a colony pod for each faction and then bid 550 for each of the HGP and WP, perhaps, planning no rec commons for ages while colony pods get churned out thru nutrient terraforming.

I've always thought that the first ten to fifteen turns in PBEMs - especially if there a slow playing group - can be excruciating to play. Often the turn comes round a couple of weeks since you last played it and then all you can do is hit enter 'cos your 2 bases are still half way thru building the next 2 CP's. Anything that can be done to sustain interest in the early game, and present challenges, is to my mind welcome (hence the unusual start in the current 3 x 2 - makes you think and plan ahead - plus with only 3 players it will be fast moving)

G.

Comment

Re Game 2 I also have Smax. Have we a third player ?

You know me I 'll go with the flow.

I think the Morgan Data Angels combo is the weakest: maybe the Pk's in place of the Das. Or maybe Flubber's idea is ok. The Auction idea sounds fun.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
          Each team starts with 1500 notional units of currency.

There is a sealed auction for start units, techs and early Sp's (faction bonuses still apply, so the Hive still gets its perim defense and the Uni still gets its free tech and netnodes, etc)
          Hmm, sounds like a Morganite scheme to corner the Energy Market to me!

Originally posted by Googlie
          1 Colony pod is a given - everyone starts with a free one for each of their factions. Teams then have to buy everything else to start from the following shopping list:

> a scout or infantry probe (Angels only) costs 100

> a synthmetal sentry (Morgan only) or rover probe (Angels only) costs 125

> a terraformer costs 150

> each colony pod costs 200

> each tech costs 200 (can only buy their factions' starting techs)

> an early SP costs 500 (ME, HGP, WP, CN)

Thus, for example, the Drones/Uni team might spend their 1500 on:

an extra colony pod each..... 400
          a scout apiece ......................200
          Ind Base and infonets ..........400
          HGP at University base .........500

whereas the Hive/Cyborgs might go:

an extra colony pod each..... 400
          a scout apiece ......................200
          a former apiece ....................300
          Doc Loyalty ...........................200
          Infonets ................................200
          Applied Physics......................200

etc

The notional cash should always be enough - and then some - to let the team buy its "normal" start position with maybe an extra scout or perhaps a colony pod.

Too extreme for some?
          How about Rover CP's, Sea Formers, Sea Transports, and Sea CP's? I think they would be ideal to add to the list, IMO! Also, any chance of getting NL's added to the list, as well?
          Overall this concept sounds like a very good idea! However, players like myself, Archaic, and Paul (who are very good at one Faction, and not as good at the others) might shy away from this format, given that no one would vote for us to get our favourite Factions....

D

Comment

interesting

I would like to be the third player if you still need one! Haven't played smax much...should be interesting. Like the bidding process myself, its great we still can come up with new ideas for games so long after it has been out!
            A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

dacole - I'm sorry - I should have linked to the new "player wanted" thread here

Hobbes has already taken that third slot. You're first player for Game #3, though.

Darsnan - nothing says that a 3rd variant couldn't be started, whereby you get to choose one faction and the other two players tell you what your second faction is to be

I'm OK with additional units if they are "Unity approved" in the #UNITS list - that way they can't be reverse engineered. But a seaformer or rover colony pod could be. That would allow just a unity rover or Unity Foil to be listed. (Even my beloved Cruiser Probe can be reverse engineered)

Native life would be good to add, though.

Comment

Working...
              X