No announcement yet.

PBEM: Heart of Fire GM needed, and rules discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folks, the map's pretty much ready to roll. I only need to set some scenairo rules and do some quick playtesting to make sure factions' settings are right and so on.

Meanwhile, please visit the post with rules and settings on 3rd page. If you're fine with those, I expect to send the game file to the first player today.
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• Settings looking good IMO.

Just one thing for all players: the submissive issue isn't settled yet, but I suppose that that can be voted for when the game is started. (so far, 2-2)
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Well, straighten out that submissive issue

Does anybody know how to disable Empath Guild SP other than changing ini files? Or shall we just do this by the honor system?

I saw no option to disable comlinks in the editor. However when I playtested the scenairo, I didn't get comlinks from other players. I remember I had to change a line in my ini file although. I had to go into alpha file and change this line:

1, ; If non-zero, humans can always contact each other in hotseat/email games

to

0, ; If non-zero, humans can always contact each other in hotseat/email games

This ensures that I wouldn't get comlinks from other human players unless I acquired it via contact, by other faction, or a pod.
        Last edited by Barinthus; April 18, 2004, 14:39.
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• If you edit the alpha.txt file anyway, change the Empath Guild line to this then:

The Empath Guild, 20, 0, Disable, Disable, Commlink For Every Faction, -2, 0, 0, 0, 0,
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Wouldn't everybody have to do this to their alpha.txt files? I think it's easier just to have people just ignore it.
            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• I think so to, it was just a tip... But it is possible to disable it in the scenario editor as well, forgot how exactly though.

Anyway, for me the game can start with the SP enabled. I know I can stay away from it.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Consult Googlie, he disabled the Empath guild for the team ACDG. I have no idea.
                On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

• Set the empath guild as built by "Aliens"

Comment

• I say we just don't build it. I'm kind of wary in modifying the .txt.
                    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                    *****Citizen of the Hive****
                    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

• Don't worry too much about the Empath Guild. I know you guys will simply ignore it in the game. I absolutely agree with you there, Frankychan - less messing with the txt file, the better.

However that line modification for comlinks is entirely optional for you guys. The advantage of making that change is that if you happen to be in a PBEM where everybody doesn't want human players to have each other's comlinks and there are AI factions and pods - you will be able to obtain comlinks via pods and trading (if it's allowed to do so) while if you already have comlinks and are 'ignoring' the fact, you will not be able to obtain comlinks via those means. You would have to wait until the actual contact with that particular human-played faction to stop 'ignoring' his/her comlink.

Just get some other issues straighten out especially that submissive one. To be honest I don't really understand what's the issue here. Is it the question of how to enforce such pact? What's wrong with the honor system and perhaps a bit of roleplaying here? If it's something else entirely, ignore me .

I've been playtesting all day and the map still needs some more tweaking. This group will make me or break me as a CMN so I want to do a good job .
                      Last edited by Barinthus; April 19, 2004, 06:24.
                      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• For submissive pact issue my understanding is that if you surrender to somebody and he wins it will not be considered a joint victory, so it is not contradictory to the no joint victory condition. As for whether one wants to honor the surrender, I'd say let's leave it to the roleplay.
                        Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• Ok, I can live with that. Just this: how close to destruction must a faction be before being allowed to surrender to his assailant?
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Honour, no messing with the .txt and let's go.

The rest we just play nice

-Jam
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• We all Transcend!!?? :eeek: Gonna be crowded up there then...
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Open a city window
                                Button "edit base"
                                Option "edit secret projects"
                                Select "The Empath Guild"
                                Select "Set to destroyed"

Now whenever someone looks at the empath guild it says
                                The Empath Guild
                                NONE
                                Aliens
                                ... I fiddled with the scenerio editor alot while learning game mechanics....

Comment

Working...
                                X