Newbie PBEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie PBEM

Hey everyone. I'm really excited about playing this game but I'm really new. I was just wondering if any other new/intermediate people would like to play a simple, friendly, PBEM game with me. It won't be anything fancy, I just want to get my feet wet. Standard rules standard map etc. Even if you are good and would like to teach a guy like me a few things I would like to play with you. Really I just want to play. I'd even play TCP/IP but games take so long I'm afraid we wouldn't finish.

I really hope someone is up for this. You can respond here, email me at Dagnarus@fastermail.com or come to IRC room #mythicalhorde on the irc.gamesurge.net network.

EDIT: By the way this is an SMAC CLASSIC game. No alienX.
    Last edited by Dagnarus; February 20, 2004, 22:11.
    Pwn4ge
    http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/dagnarus/sig2.bmp

I'm interested.

I'm fairly new to the PBEM scene, having been in only a few games, some aborted and some currently around turn 15 or so. How many players are you looking for?

Comment

Why do so many players disapprove of SMACX?

But ok, Except for some TCP/IP (unfinished) games, I haven't played against human players.
      As long as the mapsize isn't bigger then 'normal', I'm happy.

You may write me in.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
        Why do so many players disapprove of SMACX?
        I don't think they disapprove of smax-- I just think that it is hard to find for many people
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Yea It's not that I dislike it, I just don't have it.

I guess I'm looking to play with about 4-5 people.

Like i said standard map of planet (unless people hate that, then whatever you want) Standard rules.

I don't really even know EXACTLY how this works. I make a game, choose all of the human factions that will be playing, then go through my turn, save the file, and email the file to the next guy on the list?

Does the game email it automatically or do I have to attach the file to an email manually?

Edit: Players List

1. Dagnarus Desired Faction: University
          2. Fosse Desired Faction: The Hive
          3. GeoModder Desired Faction: Spartans
          4. Sankis Desired Faction: Gaians
          5. Guynemer Desired Faction:
          Last edited by Dagnarus; February 23, 2004, 00:09.
          Pwn4ge

Comment

In a thread further down the page myself and a few others are trying to set up an IP game to play over a couple of weekends (a few hours a night then save it) if you're interested in that
            Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

I'll take the Hive.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                I don't think they disapprove of smax-- I just think that it is hard to find for many people
                Really? It's been what, 3 years since release? And I still see sold out actions of SMAC in some stores. Admittedly, can't remember if I saw SMACX in those same stores.

Originally posted by Lazerus
                In a thread further down the page myself and a few others are trying to set up an IP game to play over a couple of weekends (a few hours a night then save it) if you're interested in that
                Yeah, I saw that thread. The one with Mart, isn't it? I thought that was already started? And the map size was huge, wasn't it?

But for this PBEM, I choose the Spartans before anyone else takes that faction from under my nose.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Yea I thought that was already started when I first read it too, because I didn't really read the whole thing.
                  Pwn4ge

Comment

Originally posted by Dagnarus
                    I don't really even know EXACTLY how this works. I make a game, choose all of the human factions that will be playing, then go through my turn, save the file, and email the file to the next guy on the list?

Does the game email it automatically or do I have to attach the file to an email manually?
                    Usually, there is a CMN (a moderator) that organizes all.

He sends the paswords to the players and sends the first turn to the first player on the list. The players mail the turn to the next player in line AND post a message that the turn is sended in the PBEM thread.

So basically, we need to find a volunteer to supervise this game as well. His job is also to provide new players with their passwords if an existing player for one reason or another bails out.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I'd like to join as Gaians.

I'm already signed up for another PBEM game, but who knows when it'll start. Anyway....

Standard Rules and Planet map is ok(Can it be the HUGE version?). but make sure directed research is on

Comment

I've never had a successful go at a PBEM, so I'd like to join in if possible. If not, no sweat, I'll find another; I can understand not wanting too many in the same game.

I guess I'll take the 'Keepers.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Id try it. Never played PBEM AC/X.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmalice
                            Id try it. Never played PBEM AC/X.
                            um, Dagnarus tells in his first post that this is a SMAC game, since he doesn't has a SMACX.
                            But if you want to join, welcome.

Originally posted by Sankis
                            Standard Rules and Planet map is ok(Can it be the HUGE version?). but make sure directed research is on
                            I prefer standard map, huge is just, well, to huge for me. And since this game is supposed to be a friendly one , we're not supposed to attack eachother the moments we find other players' locations.

Directed research ok,
                            I propose Do or Die, average native life, 50% ocean, weak erosive forces, and hidden map in the beginning.

Anyone else other proposals?
                            Sorry Dagnarus, If it feels I'm stepping on your territory Just like this PBEM to get started...
                            Last edited by GeoModder; February 22, 2004, 15:58.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

My only suggestion would be not to use the Map of Planet; it's much better when people have to explore the unknown.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X