Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New, want to PBEM

Hi guys, I'm new here

I've played a fair bit of SMAC/X single player but only a couple of multiplayer games, due to having nobody to play against.

I win pretty much consistantly on transcend in single player, so I like to think I've got at least some idea what I'm doing.

Basically just want to know how to go about organising a game, either a PBEM game or, if someone has some free time on a Sunday, even a real time game over the net?

Are there any things I ought to know before I start? I read the rules in that tournament PBEM thread at the top already

Irgy

U oughta know bout all kinds of cheatin,so one could not take U out without any strategy!

About that RTGame -> count me in (would like to play as BELIEVERS)

We can also do one in a weekday->I have a plenty of time!
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I can play pbem. But also i could CMN, but that would be my first time
      Mart
      Map creation contest
      WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

I want PBEM sign me up.

Comment

I'm interested also. Warning although, I'm so inexperienced that your 'very green' scout would laugh himself to death at me. If you guys don't mind, well I'm up for it.
          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

And forgot-> also want to PBEM!
            Give me Believer fac on SMAC!

If SMAX ->count me out-> dont have one!
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I guess I should add that I prefer PBEM, I rarely have a whole day off to myself so.

And as for SMAC/X, it doesn't matter but I do prefer SMAX if possible. As for which faction, I don't care. You can randomly pick one for me if you wish.
              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

So we are 5!
                I suggest not waitin for more players->as the number grows, the game slows!

So,there is our votes:

Irgy:
                Game ->any
                Fac ->any

binTravkin
                Game -> SMAC: I dont have SMAX!
                Fac ->Believers

mart7x5
                Game-> any
                Fac -> any
                or: can be CMN!

Walek
                Game->any
                Fac->any

DataAeolus
                Game->SMAX
                Fac->random

So vote for game type and fac!
                And Irgy has to choose which fac to give to DataAeolus
                It will probably be after the others have chosen (3facs will be left)

DataAeolus seems a powerful player,if he allows others to choose his fac..

Lets get ths game started!

Also, what about CMN? Do we need one, or do we play random or some known map?
                What do u all think?

Comment

I can CMN this game, just write if it's ok with you, or if someone else do it or no CMN, i can play....

Irgy, your opinion is needed, as you called us for this game
                  Mart
                  Map creation contest

Comment

I vote on smac, because binTravkin don't have smac.
                    I take hmm. what fac i take hmmm maby hive no i lose were what i must do maby univ. Ok i take univ.

Comment

So response from Irgy is very needed!

But for now:
                      Votes for game SMAC:SMAX = 2:1

Facs:
                      Irgy:??
                      binTravkin:Believers
                      Mart7x5:??
                      Walek:University
                      DataAeolus:random from left
                      ..damn hard to spell your nick
                      Last edited by binTravkin; February 4, 2004, 19:43.

Comment

Hi guys

Ahh good lots of people to play by the looks of it : )

I guess it had better be smac so we can all be involved

As for faction, I am capable of using University, Hive or Gaians, mabye peacekeepers if I absolutely have to just because they're fairly generic. I usually prefer University but as that's taken I guess I'll be whichever of Hive and Gaians nobody else wants to use, probably Hive if they're both free.

What's a CMN by the way? is it some sort of impartital game master or something?

As for rules, I'm not that fussed really, my preferences include
                        Choose your tech (the complexity of the tech tree is one of the best parts of the game imho)
                        Tech Stagnation (I find you often invent things faster than you can prototype them even with stagnation)
                        Unity Survey (like being able to plan a good base arrangement, it's not that important though)
                        Large average random map preferred, I don't know any custom maps other than planet, and I'm sick of planet - it only comes in standard and huge anyway

Anything else I ought to know?

Irgy

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                          DataAeolus seems a powerful player,if he allows others to choose his fac..
                          That's funny! Trust me once we start playing, you probably be begging Irgy to kick me off and give my faction to AI since it'd play better

I just figured I have to start somewhere so what's wrong with random? Overally I'm a very flexible guy.

Anyway it appears it'd be for the best if we were to use SMAC since it appears not everybody has SMAX. As for maps, I don't care.

Mmmm what else? Shoot I wanted to say something.... Oh yes, why don't we stay with PBEM official rules? But if you want to change them around that's fine. Just make sure I understand how they work. For instance, tech stagnation, what's that? I usually play with standard rules on SP games so.

Whee my first PBEM, I can't wait.

EDIT: Yeah I know, I didn't realize there was double As in my name, duh me. If there's a way to change my name I'd like to do it, know how?

EDIT2: On second thought, I'll take Gaians only if nobody else wants that one.
                          Last edited by Barinthus; February 4, 2004, 23:02.
                          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Irgy
                            ...What's a CMN by the way? is it some sort of impartital game master or something?
                            Yes, you could make that comparison to RPG games. I am new to multiplayer SMAC, but i was gamemastering in Warhammer RPG (that's popular in Europe). I play already in a number of games so i thought i might CMN this one. If this is ok with all of you.
                            I guess 4 players and 3 AI is quite ok and turns do not take too much time then.
                            About tech stagnation - it slows down the game a bit which in PBEM might make it too slow, but if someone do not mind long waits for the techs - it is actually nice option. I play single player mostly with tech stagnation for the purpose of better usage of prototypes, as you Irgy wrote.
                            I propose also to make a table of selected options by us, it will be easier to see what is preferred.
                            Mart
                            Map creation contest

Comment

Ok what does CMN stands for?
                              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                              X