SMAX PBEM game with 4 players on CGN "Veterans league" map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAX PBEM game with 4 players on CGN "Veterans league" map

I would like to start a new SMAX PBEM game on the CGN "Veterans league" map. The map (created by Buster) ensures a very equal starting position for all players, especially since there are no unity pods. The game is meant to be played with four human players and no AIs. Duplicate factions are allowed, so everyone can pick their favourite faction.

I'll be playing the University. I'm currently reserving one spot for Archaic (University), until I know whether he will be joining the game. I'm hoping for quick playing in this game, preferably one turn / day. The players should estimate the times when they are able, so we could come up with a good turn order. I'm likely to be able to play between 18-21 GMT, 15-21 GMT on most days and very flexibly on weekends, taking into account that my time zone is GMT+2.

We also need a CMN to set up the game and keep the passwords. Since the map is ready, the task of the CMN is hopefully easier than normally.

I'm in. GMT +10 here, though after October 30, I'll be available practically 24 hours a day.
    Last edited by Archaic; October 12, 2003, 23:28.
    Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Me too. I am at GMT 0. and regularly available thru my day time hours
      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
        Me too. I am at GMT 0. and regularly available thru my day time hours
        Welcome! What faction would you like to play?

Comment

Gaians

Comment

We're still looking for one player. Hopefully we can get the game started relatively quickly.

By the way, I noticed that the CGN Veterans tournament games begin with quite an accelerated start, with 4 colony pods and a pre-built HQ. I'd prefer a more normal 3 colony pod start, if that's alright with you.

We also need to decide which rules we are going to use. Do you have any preferences?

Comment

Standard 'poly rules work for me, as does the normal 3 colony pod start.

Comment

Agree with that

Comment

I would play too if there's a spot

The pre-built HQ is quite a jumpstart as IIRC it has some facilities already in it as well-- we also received some free formers IIRC

The map is great and there is no doubt it is " fair" as in equal . . . although it is tough to play momentum style on it

I might try the morganites -- I am trying to work on my gameplay with them
                  Last edited by Flubber; October 17, 2003, 12:46.
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                    I would play too if there's a spot

The pre-built HQ is quite a jumpstart as IIRC it has some facilities already in it as well-- we also received some free formers IIRC

The map is great and there is no doubt it is " fair" as in equal . . . although it is tough to play momentum style on it

I might try the morganites -- I am trying to work on my gameplay with them
                    Welcome, the last spot is yours. Could you estimate when you are able to play so we can figure out a turn order?

The reason I'd like a less advanced start is that the decisions made in the very early game are very important and I'd like to refine my play in that area. If there are five bases already in the beginning, that phase is much shorter.

To summarize, here are the players and factions:

Minute Mirage - University ( minutemirage AT hotmail DOT com)
                    Archaic - University (archaiceternal AT hotmail DOT com)
                    Hercules - Gaians
                    Flubber - Morgans

Hercules and Flubber, could you post your email addresses?

I copy-pasted these rules from the tournament thread:

Multiple reloading of the game to try for different effects is forbidden. If a reload is necessary because of a game crash etc., an explanation should be posted to the turn administration thread.

Multiple drops or orbital insertions using the right-click menu is forbidden. So is airdropping from outside a base/airbase, or after having moved (except on a magtube) using the same method. Using the 'i' key when you want an airdrop means you will automatically comply with these restrictions.

Inserting Stockpile Energy into the build queue after a military unit is forbidden.

If a player employs a tactic that causes a state of vendetta, they are not allowed to "accept" a pending diplomatic agreement with that faction in the same turn, causing a change in diplomatic status or the transfer of energy or knowledge.

If an aggressive probe action (anything except infiltration) is used on a faction you have a truce, treaty or pact with, you must select 'Declare Vendetta' in the dialog box that appears afterwards, and notify the victim of your transgression, unless you have received permission in advance. No notification is required in other cases.

Upgrading units with the design workshop is allowed at end of turn only. However, supply crawlers upgraded in this fashion can still be used to advance Secret Projects in the same turn.

Communications only allowed between factions that have obtained each others' commlink frequencies in-game.

Social engineering choice limited to one switch per line per turn. (no flip-flop within turn!)

Psi units cannot be assigned multiple point patrol routes (avoid instant demon boil bug!)

Whenever the planetary council is called, the caller (or the first player to vote if the AI calls it) should post a notification to the thread, including vote totals (if applicable) and who has already voted for what. The other players should post how they vote.

No base trading with the AI. Extortion is allowed.
                    If you'd like to add or change something, I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

Tourney rules are fine

My email is xxxxsharris4141@yahoo.comxxxx ( just remove the x's)--

The advanced start only gave ONE preset base but it had facilities and you also had a number of independent scouts, and formers and a transport ship ready to go--

IT really speeded up the early game but personally, I have come to think it has made factions like the drones much stronger to play since being GIVEN formers and a boat meant the delay in getting the necessary tech hurt a LOT less

I am in the North American "mountain" time zone and can play the first 30 turns or so pretty much any time of day . LOnger turns get played in the evenings between 8 pm and midnight here --

I don't know the patterns of the other players in this game but generally I find that passing west seems to work well in my other games
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

The advanced start only gave ONE preset base but it had facilities and you also had a number of independent scouts, and formers and a transport ship ready to go--

IT really speeded up the early game but personally, I have come to think it has made factions like the drones much stronger to play since being GIVEN formers and a boat meant the delay in getting the necessary tech hurt a LOT less
                        I realise that there's only one pre-built base, but my point was, although I phrased it badly, that since you begin with 4 colony pods IIRC, you have five bases within a few turns. This of course means that everyone's early research is very quick. And the formers do mean a huge advantage to Drones.

I am in the North American "mountain" time zone and can play the first 30 turns or so pretty much any time of day . LOnger turns get played in the evenings between 8 pm and midnight here --

I don't know the patterns of the other players in this game but generally I find that passing west seems to work well in my other games
                        How's this for a turn order:

Archaic
                        Minute Mirage
                        Hercules
                        Flubber

The CMN could randomly assign the first player, while still retaining the order.

Comment

Googlie has very kindly agreed to be the CMN for the game. Archaic, could you send him your free tech choice?

Comment

My email address is xxxcathal.mullaghan@ntlworld.comxxx

Comment

PM Sent

Comment

Working...
                              X