My new top score, yeehaw!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new top score, yeehaw!

I know it won't compare to all the masters here, but I'm pickled tink over my new top score, 597%, a Gaian diplomatic victory on transcend.

Hadn't played in quite a while, 'til I stumbled into this forum by accident and started reading, which got that damned SMAC monkey on my back again...
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Re: My new top score, yeehaw!

Originally posted by Guynemer
    I know it won't compare to all the masters here, but I'm pickled tink over my new top score, 597%, a Gaian diplomatic victory on transcend.

Hadn't played in quite a while, 'til I stumbled into this forum by accident and started reading, which got that damned SMAC monkey on my back again...
    Congratulations!

I stopped going for the high score thing long ago because the micromanagement drove me crazy. I got addicted to going "one more turn, one more turn" after the Cloning Vats to get all those population points.

Massive SMAC burnout.
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Re: Re: My new top score, yeehaw!

Originally posted by Static23

Congratulations!

I stopped going for the high score thing long ago because the micromanagement drove me crazy. I got addicted to going "one more turn, one more turn" after the Cloning Vats to get all those population points.

Massive SMAC burnout.
      I agree completely. The one more turn syndrome gets insane with increased population points and the extra points for tech ( with 3 or 4 techs a turn coming in a turn.) I simply got tired of building bases in EVERY available square when the combination of food sats, the CBA and the Cloning Vats meant that everything was booming. Once hab restrictions are gone, the bases just get to obscene sizes and transcendii rake in the benefits.

I'm happy guynemer achieved a new milestone but very few players attempt to beat high scores due to the tedium of growing to superlarge sizes.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Yeah, the game sort of loses all it's fun when each turn takes 30 minutes and your only opponent left is Chairman Yang off in some isolated seabase trying to build a Planet Buster with no minerals.
        "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

My last opponent is usually aki or lal, either out of kindness or because i just enjoy using fungal missiles every turn

The score limits at 999% right ??
          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Nope, I have seen results in the 2000s%.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

2000%?! Must of been really milking the game.

Mine is over 1000% (not much over). 12,000 score or so (and that was kind of milking it).

I always play iron man/transcend, helps some of course.

Comment

I haven't played SMAC in ages, most of the time I didn't go for a high score, I just conquered everyone .

Comment

I was proud with my 39%

I usually go for conquest victory...it's more fun.
                  Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                  Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                  *****Citizen of the Hive****
                  "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Is it heresy to say I couldn't care less about score or rating?

Please be assured I mean no disrespect whatsoever to anyone who tries various ways to obtain high scores and ratings. I always read with great interest accounts of players' exploits.

It's all good
                    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorat

Mine is over 1000% (not much over). 12,000 score or so (and that was kind of milking it).

I always play iron man/transcend, helps some of course.
                      Oddly enough, the highest score in my Hall of fame is 1002%, although I know I had a few scores higher than that before I had to reinstall the game.

There's a sequence of scores in my Hall of Fame, all from the same game, where I conquered the last enemy base every turn to see the change in score. Finally, I got bored and transcended (then went to sleep I imagine )

TypeScorePercentYear
                      Transcend 6320 592% MY 2384
                      Conquer 4940 463% MY 2381
                      Conquer 4789 448% MY 2380
                      Conquer 4651 436% MY 2379

This was non-Ironman, at least half the territory taken up by submissive factions, and no attempts at optimisation on my part.

You can really see what a difference one turn makes in the final score, and how easy it is to get sucked in to going one more turn when you start considering score, long after you can achieve victory by any other method.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorat
                        Yeah, that would be 508 bases (averaging 50 to 60 citzens), with 5 submissive and 1 allied other factions one base each (to trad with your super science base) rolling up the transcendent thought, saving all you alien artifact to the 2nd to last turn to cash in, and transecending on the last turn (2499 or 2599 depending or difficulty level)
                        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

My best score is only around 175%-ish. But that's because I avoid most micro-management tasks.
                          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Egads, who would want to milk the game when it could be won? Sounds incredibly tedious... as soon as I had the votes for a diplo victory, I went for it.

Strange thing about those votes... I conquered about 14 of Yang's 20 bases before he submitted; in the process, I freed both Lal and Roze from his capital, gaining two more vassal states (one of which has 2x votes... handy). I still didn't have the votes, and wouldn't for quite a while. I started invading Miriam, who had been sniping at my frontier and ocean bases for quite some time. After taking only five of her 30 or so bases, she submitted. I'd never seen such a quick surrender, in all my years of SMAC. Now with 4 vassal states, Miriam with around 100 votes, I had just enough votes to triple the combined total of Zakharov and Dawn...

Very fun game, trailed for the opening half, quite substantially in parts, missed many a SP I usually make a beeline for. Can't believe Miriam gave up so easily... at the very least, she could have probed her bases back (I missed HSA), and offensively, she wasn't too far behind in tech, using Tachyon while I had Shard... hell, given her attack bonus, she was still ahead of me.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I never try to do all that end game rubbish.. once u have won, u have won so just win the damn game
                              I always win it asap, unless im nearing transcendance when i will go for that.
                              best so far is 347% with userpers (3470 score too)

once u get into just playing to score high, the game gets incredibly boring imo, its much more fun just going as fast as pos and trying to beat ur own scores that way

Comment

Working...
                              X