difference between difficulty levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between difficulty levels

What is the real difference between difficulty levels? Is it possible to play on the hardest setting? Which one is considered to be beated for 'really good' players consistently?

The AI gets "hard" bonuses on higher levels, and you have less content people before they become Drones. The AI is also more aggressive. I'm not sure what the bonuses are exactly, but on Trancend they get a big one.

I have to say that a good player will always beat Trancend, and will often set limits (like only build one base for example) to make it harder. Ouch!

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

what is the 'average' setting then? Like what would be the setting where your empire has the same bonuses/minuses as the AI players (other than faction modifications of course)?

Comment

The average settting would be the one in the middle of the difficulty choices. If you want the setting which the vast majority of the posters play on, it would be Transcend. I'm playing on Thinker myself, I've been trying to improve my game before proceeding to Transcend. On a side note, I'm of the opinion that in most difficulty levels, your starting position is far more relevant to your level of success in the game than the level of difficulty. Early availability of resources, proximity/aggression of neighboring factions, the amount of terraforming necessary to expand into neighboring areas, these factors are much more difficult to cope with than an extra drone here or there.

Comment

Here's a recent thread which has some good info about the differences between the levels.

Difficulty Signifies?
          "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Cool. The drone information and maximum base limit formulas were exactly what I was looking for. I guess that makes children's cache's so much more important at higher levels.

Comment

and almost all people play here at transcend level. If level is not indicated, assume they are playing at transcend.

All levels are easily beatable once you know how.

I remember when I first found this forum and people were claiming to win CIV2 on deity while I struggled with king level. I thought they were full of crap. But I read the strategies and soon I won on deity and then started to win various types of harder challenges.

Smac/x is the same. Once you read up you can beat the AI at any level. In fact, I found the harder levels BETTER since the AI would actually have some tech to trade or steal and I wasn't forced to research everything myself
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I'm just getting back into the game after some time. I used to be able to beat it at talent level and had some problems on librarian. I only had played it for a for weeks then but new games came along and I stopped playing. I just want to play alpha centauri to hold me over until march 26th =) I do want to get better at the game, but I have some relearning to do. It's an easy game, but when you start mircomanaging terrorforming, supply crawlers and knowing which technology is useful (it's all new to me again except for the first few levels of technology), it can seem pretty large. I'll probably be asking a few questions over the next couple of days =) I want to play on transcend too.

Comment

Originally posted by egervari
                  Cool. The drone information and maximum base limit formulas were exactly what I was looking for. I guess that makes children's cache's so much more important at higher levels.
                  The ecodamge info is also critical to playing the game well at transcend level. This was probably the area that had the single biggest impact on the game for me.

Before, I was constantly being overrun by worms at transcend level. Now, I'm shocked if I get a fungal bloom in the late game.
                  "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Ah, another evil free-marketeer

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by War of Art
                      Ah, another evil free-marketeer
                      How dare you!!!

Actually, I never went Free Market before because I was having such huge problems with pollution in the other choices.

My big mistake was trying to stave off that first bloom for as long as possible, and Planet would snap back on me with a vengeance at some point in the midgame.

I only became evil later.

Comment

Yeah, I was shocked at the jump in ecodamage when I first started playing at Transcend. In midgame I switched from Green to Free and suddenly had triple digit ecodamage in my power bases!
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Daaaaamn.

I played Transcend once and it was pretty hard but interesting. The faction leaders have more personality than the lower levels.

But since I only started playing again recently, I've had to work my way back up the difficulty ladder.

See this thread for details...

this was only on the fourth difficulty level.
                          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                          *****Citizen of the Hive****
                          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Working...
                          X