no sound during game (only in movies)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no sound during game (only in movies)

I have no sound during the game, but the movies appear to playing sound (I take it that it's using an entirely different sound engine - probably not related to directx). Anyway, I never had this problem before and I have all the patches and stuff I did the last time I ran it. The only thing that could possibly be different is that I have directx9 installed while I probably had directx 8.1 the last time I ran it. I've always had XP. It has been some time since I've played this game, however.

Anyway, does anyone know how to fix this? Both terran.exe and terranx.exe have the same problem and I haven't seen the solution on the support sections of firaxis or ea. This is a real bummer.

I'm not positively sure that it's related to directx9, but it's the only thing I can think of. The XP update has always been on the system, so it has nothing to do with that (I've experienced the sound crackling before and that was fixed with that patch).

Thanks for the help guys.

Dumb question, but have you confirmed that all your audio options (in-game Menu/Game/Preferences/AV) are checked as on, with the volume sliders active?

I only ask as if you have recently joined a PBEM, someone else's preferences might have found their way on to your .ini file

G.

Comment

It's not a dumb question - it was the first thing I checked =) Unfortunately, they are turned on so the problem still persists. This is just so odd since I thought directx always worked with old versions, regardless of any future versions (directsound in this case). All the mp3 and wav files are there too.
      Last edited by egervari; March 17, 2003, 15:30.

Comment

Well, I've been uninstalling and re-installing the game like crazy. I've noticed the game has sound when there is no expansion or patches installed. When I installed the expansion, there is no sound and the patches don't have any effect on improving it. This is so very weird.

Comment

Okay.. the problem has to be in sound.dll since I replaced the new sound.dll from the expansion with the old one from alpha centari original cd (got it from having multiple intallations). Anyway, the size difference was fairly huge (380 to 444), so I'm bound to missing stuff that was added with the expansion and this doesn't improve the sound from terranx.exe since it has it's own soundx.dll.

However, the game will crash when I start a new game, so this doesn't make matters any better. Grrrr.

So I guess I can play the game without the expansion. That really sucks. No solutions?

Comment

Actually, the new sound.dll that comes with the xp patch also has the same problem as the expansion.

Comment

The 4.0 patch for the original game produces the same problem.

I have to conclude that they migrated some old code in all the latest updates and that is the cause for the lack of sound (all in sound.dll/soundx.dll).

Comment

The 4.0 patch for the original game produces the same problem.

I have to conclude that they migrated some old code in all the latest updates and that is the cause for the lack of sound (all in sound.dll/soundx.dll).

I fixed it.. woo hoo! I just had to turn off eax and directsound3d. That's weird since I have a sound blaster live! Anyway, it works and that's great for me. I think the ds3d doesn't work because of directx9 api most likely - that has to be it. Sounds like MS has some bugs to work out.

Comment

Working...
                X