University attribs in real life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University attribs in real life

I wanted to say something about the real life attributes of the University of Planet. In specific the -2 Probe:
    I am a student at the University of Twente in The Netherlands. Last November we had someone deliberately set fire on the heart of the computer center of the university shutting down the entire network and computer facilities for at least a week until they were fully functional : Damage $50 million. (This was a release of a sabotage virus, which destroyed our Network Node).
    3 days later, someone from outside of the university showed up in our building (Chemical engineering) with a canister of green explosive chemicals, but that guy was intercepted by the security (probe team action failed).
    Now yesterday someone sent a powder letter to a conference hotel where the local shopkeepers had their annual meeting (biologic warfare atrocity). Police and firefighters were immediately here and the whole area was sealed off.
    Later on it turned out to be a wild goose chase, but now questions are rising about security at our campus.
    But we cannot choose "fundamentalism" as social choice so I think we might have a problem here.
    Well, the +2 research speaks for itself. The +1 efficiency, would be the efficient manner in which we use our equipent or something(?) i guess.

In short: From events in real life, I can say that the attributes for the University are adequately chosen.

Just wanted to share this "useful" piece of info with you guys

Maybe some of you have some comments on the other social choices (from real-life perspective that is).

Anyways, have a nice weekend!

Damn talk about disruption, is your university killing kittens for fur coats or something?!
    Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

*makes a mental note: try to avoid Twente as much as possible*

Comment

UoP does not have +1 EFFICIENCY.

Comment

Come on Mongoose, you're killin' his analogy . Knowledge social choice does have +1 effic.
          "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Funny. I was thinking the same thing. When my strict but diligent father is at home, we end up with a +1 Industry - brutal serfdom, +1 Growth - rapid population growth (people grow tired, weary, and desperate pretty quickly, anyway), and -2 Economy - paternal stinginess.

The only thing that our family faction is missing is a free Punishment Sphere facility.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

IMHO the University faction attributes should realistically be the following:

+3 Research
              -1 Economy
              -1 Industry
              -2 Probe

But instead of one drone per four citizens, there should be one talent per four citizens.

Wealth should be an additional aversion (or instead of Fundy).

Edit: Besides, Network Nodes should not be available for free.
              Last edited by The Vagabond; March 15, 2003, 01:31.
              Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

IMO, wealth and research go somewhat hand-in-hand, so I don't think it should be an aversion. Your SE settings are more realistic though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fazdaar
                  IMO, wealth and research go somewhat hand-in-hand, so I don't think it should be an aversion.
                  When you were running Wealth, didn't Zak tell you that your shameless pursuit of wealth was offensive to the thinkers like himself?

Seriously though, it seems to me that pursuit of pure research, research per se, which is the ideology of the University faction, is somewhat contradictory to Wealth. If you are obsessed with wealth, you'd hardly pursue just pure research. Practical applications of research are more in line with the Morganites than the University.
                  Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

I agree with the extra drone for Zak. Scientific research in most fields are done on a tightrope between scientific discovery and ethical practices. If somebody like Zakharov focusses on science exclusively to the neglect of ethical standards AND implements an elitist social structure to boot (which is mentioned in the instruction manual) it is all too easy to imagine that the populace is a jointed one, of a privileged cognoscenti and masses of drones/workers.
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

But he'd have better tools to calm any riots and to impose mind control.

Comment

That remains for the player to implement as he or she sees fit.

I always thought that certain faction leaders would have a higher tolerance for your nerve staplings and other atrocities. Yang and Zak are two that I think would probably still continue commerce with you if you nerve staple citizens (as long as they're not former Uni or Hive citizens).
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

That reminds me of another question - is foresting good or bad to the Planet, especially when you destroy fungus that way? Would Deirdre forest as mad or rather leave the specific ecosystem of Chiron unspoiled?

Comment

In a purist interpretation, I think Deirdre wouldn't plant large-scale forests because they destroy native plant life. She likes Hybrid Forests, though (voiceover).
                            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

good thread!

My school is
                              -1 Industry
                              +1 Research (biological research done here)
                              -2 Efficiency (what little funding we have is squandered and mismangaged)
                              -3 Economy (everything on campus costs too damn much! )

I'd prefer a Human Hive approach to our campus but we seem to be using a quasi-Peacekeeper social setting here.

What-evers!
                              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                              *****Citizen of the Hive****
                              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X