monsoon jungle, removing it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monsoon jungle, removing it.

hi does anyone here know a way to remove the monsoon jungle from SMAC. I would like it to not appear in randomly created maps.

or if not remove a way to neuter it. I look in alpha.txt but nothing appears to control it. simply removing it from the list at the bottom only messes up the names. it doesn't do nething about it still bein there.

if u could help that'd be great, k thanks!

Play on an arid world. The Jungle, if there at all, will be small. 'Course, you handicapp the AI rather signigicantly by playing on arid worlds, since it doesn't terraform well.

As far as having the map generated without it, as a stand alone parameter...I know no way to do that.

Comment

thanks, bummer though. really an annoying aspect to a game.(the monsoon)

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon
        thanks, bummer though. really an annoying aspect to a game.(the monsoon)
        Yavoon, why is it annoying? The AI faction that gets it really does well, making the game tough. I think there is a general opinion here that the AI needs all the help it can get to give you a good game.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

You need to remove it from the alpha.txt and alphax.txt as well as the concepts.txt and conceptsx.txt (it's #39 in the concepts list for both)

That way the $LINK should still refer to the appropriate landmark

Comment

its silly when I get it. and if I see it newhere near me its silly to go and attack it and take it.

its just not a very well conceived landmark. and it has far too large an impact on the game for one randomnly seeded thing.

googlie u sayin if I remove it from both it will no longer exist? well neways I will try that now!

Comment

nope doesn't work.

Comment

Yavoon, why is it annoying? The AI faction that gets it really does well, making the game tough. I think there is a general opinion here that the AI needs all the help it can get to give you a good game.
                I agree. One of the toughest AI games I had was with Deirdre planted on a forested jungle.

I love when I land on it too, A 4-nut forest with hybrid forest is
                "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

The jungle adds fun to the game by making at least one AI competitive.

On the other hand, it's even funner taking it away.
                  "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

it'd be much more sane to simply give all the computers an advantage in the faction.txt. than it is to be like "well atleast one will be better."

seems bizzarre that u can't do anything about hte landmarks. especially considering how changable everything else is.

Comment

I don't know if this is useful or not, but if you alter the ocean levels, or if you terraform the jungle UP or DOWN, then the nutrient bonus vanishes forever.
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                        I don't know if this is useful or not, but if you alter the ocean levels, or if you terraform the jungle UP or DOWN, then the nutrient bonus vanishes forever.
                        Doesn't the same thing happen with the "crater" and "ridge" values?
                        "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

How To Remove the Monsoon Jungle

You can't prevent the Monsoon Jungle from appearing on random maps, but you can remove the Monsoon Jungle from a finished map if you go into the Scenario Editor. There are two ways to do it. Both will make the entire map visible, so you'll have to resist the temptation to look real close if you prefer to be surprised.

Method 1, which also allows you to see where the other factions start (if you look too close) and scores the game as cheated:
                          If your world is generated by starting a new game and choosing either Random Map or Customize Random Map, immediately go into the Scenario Editor {Ctrl+K} when your first turn starts, before doing anything else.
                          Zoom out by pressing {X} until you can see the dark green patch identifying the Jungle. Right-Click near its center and click {Move cursor to here}, then press {Shift+X} to zoom in. Left-Click once on the square above the words to move the cursor there. Click {Menu} {Edit Map} {Remove Natural Landmark} {Monsoon Jungle} {OK} and wait a few seconds. Bye-bye, Jungle!
                          Exit the Scenario Editor {Ctrl+K} and press {V} once to center the view on your landing pod.

Method 2, which only makes the entire map visible:
                          If you create your worlds in the Scenario Editor outside a game, simply follow the steps above when the generator finishes creating the map, starting at "Zoom out".

Note: There is an undocumented natural landmark that the random map generator never, ever puts on a map.
                          It is Nessus Canyon, which was added in Version 3 or 4. It is like an inverted Pholus Ridge. Instead of a north-south raised area, you get a north-south gash. The canyon floor is at the lowest land elevation, 10-999m. The squares will be labelled "Canyon" in the terrain key. They will be either Flat or Rolling, and all will have a +1Mineral bonus which you can verify in the terrain key. If a river happens to be nearby, it might flow into and/or through the canyon.

If you want to, you could put the Canyon in where you removed the Jungle. After removing the Jungle, click {Menu} {Edit Map} {Place Natural Landmark} {Nessus Canyon} {OK} and wait a few seconds. Voila! Canyon!

Of course, you don't have to remove another landmark to include Nessus Canyon. It can be added along with all the others. I like to drop it in a highland plain so it looks like The Grand Canyon.
                          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

I prefer Monsoon Jungles, they give me loads of resources and good benefits also its a good challenge like Ned said if the Computer controlled players were to have such a benefit.
                            -J.B.-
                            Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

thanks gwill. that is helpful. even if not what I hoped for.

and for jeremy. the reason I want it removed is because it gives loads of resources. u silly imp. u can make ur game harder in much more reliable ways than the luck of one seeded monsoon jungle.

Comment

Working...
                              X