• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plead for second release of SMAcX

I just sent firaxis this message:

[BEGIN]
    Dear Firaxis team,

I am a member of the Apolyton Civilization Forum community (especially the Alpha Centauri section attracts most of my attention) and I cannot help noticing how many forum posters ask where to find the Alien Crosfire Add-on to Alpha Centauri (for PC) just to see them getting sent away (by other posters) with the message "sorry, firaxis does not offer this game anymore".
    I barely got one copy (one of their last) from an online software shop.

My question is, wouldn't it be possible for you to make a second release (or something) for the the fan(atic)s and newcomers of SMAC(X) so they can buy this game instead of copying it (in worst case) or search for it indefinitely?
    I mean for a game of its age to have such a loyal fan community is something admirable, is it not?

Off course I understand that you have your reasons to pull it off the market, but for all those who like the game and cannot buy it, it must be a real frustration.
    Would't it be possible to reconsider the withdrawal of SMAX for the sake of all fans?
    [END]

Well, when I re-read it, it seems like I am asking the re-release three times or something, but whatever.

If all of you guys (and girls) who want a re-release of SMAX send something similar to firaxis, maybe we (as a community) can convince them to make a new release for all those that want to enjoy SMAX in its purest form.

Not until my hoarded stock of Smac-x get to over $100 per copy.
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I add my signature to that letter.

Does anybody know a vendor that still has Alien Crossfire?
      Check my C3C Reference Tech Tree
      Test my Anti-Conquests Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Kuratko
        I add my signature to that letter.
        You can send firaxis a mail asking for a new release by going to their homepage on www.firaxis.com and then selecting game feedback from the contact rolldown menu.

I think they might take it into consideration when lots of us ask them to (chance : futile. As the Progenitors would say). But if whe ask en masse, the chance they will listen might be higher.

Anyway, I think Ebay has some copies.
        I got my copy from www.softwarefirst.com (UK) about 1 year ago.
        Maybe www.saveonsoftware (US) has it.

Comment

I don't think that asking Firaxis is going to be of much use. Its actually Electronic Arts who were responsible for the publishing of SMAX, so the chances would probably be better if people write to EA than to Firaxis for this one.
          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Me, too! Sent my letters and will report any replies
            I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Still looking in the 2nd-hand bin in my local GameStation. Hope it turns up there.
              -Sir T

Comment

I would be very surprised if you found one that way. I've been searching in vain for the past year and a half. Probably have to break down and hit somebody up on EBay.
                "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Response from Electronic Arts Technical Support:
                  At this time, if the Alien Crossfire or Planetary pack wich included both Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire are not offerd on our site, I am afraid that they are not currently for sale. However, your question would best be answered by our Direct Sales department. They can be reached at 1-877-EAGAMES or at eadirect@ea.com.

This game may also still be purchased through sites such as ebay, or half.com
                  Looks like their answer is "No"
                  I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

You could always go to Underdogs.com

They have Alien Crossfire for free download I believe.
                    Whatever goes up, better doggon well stay up...

Comment

Finally played SMACX. Wow. Just, wow.

That's all I have to say.

-Yook

Comment

Working...
                      X