Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Choppers/Flying Worms

Greetings,

every since I installed ACX, the choppers and those flying worms only move one square per turn. They show as being able to move the correct amount however. The really weird thing is, that the CAN go on moving, if they are next to an enemy unit after every move!

WTF?

I always ignored this problem, since choppers and flying worms aren't so important, but I was just wondering what this is all about.

I suggest you re-install SMAX. That doesn't sound right.

And OMG, you say choppers aren't important?!? They are the most overpowering unit in the game. They have blitz attack (multiple attacs/turn), a single chopper can empty a close base from many-many-many defenders.

Don't ignore the choppers.

And don't ignore the Locusts of Chiron either. I think they are the only flying unit that can invade a base. And they don't have to visit your bases frequently.
    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Hmm... okay. I guess I never used them much to find out they are actually good (I don't like the graphic)

Unfortunately, reinstalling doesn't help. It's always the same. They worked fine in AC (without the X) however.

Comment

Hmm. I know that flying units like to end their turns if they move into bases not adjacent to enemy units, so this sounds like the game is treating every tile as a base tile. Do your choppers take damage for ending their turns outside of bases?
        "Cutlery confused Stalin"
        -BBC news

Comment

You have a point there. Choppers only move one square per turn, but they never take damage. But how could the game treat all tiles as base tiles? Especially only for choppers and the fly-worms? The other air units work fine.

Comment

I thihk to recall that another German player reported this same problem not many months ago. Or rather, he was even convinced that choppers *normal* range was 1 tile per turn!
            I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
              And don't ignore the Locusts of Chiron either. I think they are the only flying unit that can invade a base. And they don't have to visit your bases frequently.
              Gravships can conquer bases too (but they come too late in the game to use them anyway).

To the problem at hand here:
              How about infantry attacking something, do they get the +25% infantry vs base bonus everytime they attack something in the "open"?

If so, then all units treat the terrain as a base.
              Just thought about this, because needlejets can fly through bases without having to stop there. Choppers and gravships (locusts are based on gravship chassis) do stop at every base they come through making the point "needles don't fly one square but normal" somewhat less important. [no offense meant, just an observation].
              How about terraforming? You can't terraform within a base. So if you can't terraform...

By the way, did you edit alpha.txt (or alphax.txt for SMAX) or any other *.txt file, in that case you can try putting the original alpha.txt back (but that should also happen during reinstall, making this more or less an idle suggestion )

Anyway, I wish you succes in solving this problem.

Comment

Everything else in the game works fine. I can terraform (what great fun would AC be without terraforming...) and footsoldiers don't always get 25% bonus.
                Are you sure that locusts are based on gravships? Because gravships work fine as well.

I copied the old rules.txt file from AC, but that didn't help either.

Well, I wrote a bug report to EA. Hope they still care about games that don't "directly" sell anymore.

Until then, I will have to do without copters.

Comment

What it's only a problem in the german versions...?

Locusts are not based on gravships. Only their movement style is similar.
                  I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
                    Locusts are not based on gravships. Only their movement style is similar.
                    I'm sorry to prove you wrong, aaglo, but a Locust of Chiron IS based on a gravship chassis, take a look at this exerpt from the alpha.txt file:

Locusts of Chiron, Gravship, Psi, Psi, 4,10, 0,CentGen, -1, 000000000000000000100000

It says "gravship" in the chassis place.

But I think I was a little unclear in my post, not mentioning that the COMPUTER thinks it is based on a gravship chassis (because the alpha.txt file says it is).
                    But therefore locusts should show the same sort of movement as gravship (because the computer thinks it is the same).

Comment

This is a known problem with the German edition. See this thread:

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                      -- Kosh

Comment

Thanks, there is a solution to the problem provided there.
                        For some reason, unity-choppers and Locusts have the ability "aircraft carrier" enabled in the german version of alphax.txt.

Interesting how that ability combined with air units leads to such a peculiar effect.

Comment

That would explain why it acts like every tile is a base for them. Any tile occupied by them counts as an airbase, and the presence of a landing site is checked after movement.
                          "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                          -BBC news

Comment

So it's constantly "landing" on itself? *sigh* some bugs really take the cake

Comment

Okay, that is _really_ amusing. I'm enjoying myself just trying to envision a locust trying to land on itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X