No announcement yet.

How far back are random events seeded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far back are random events seeded?

I know it isn't just one turn back. How many turns back do you have to go to get the game to pull another rabbit out of its hat?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

it is supposed to be random Monk.
    (+1)

Comment

Hmmm... I wouldn't put my hand on a fire for it....
      ...maybe Lefty Scevola's one

I would say that it also depends on how far the cause for the event is rooted, for instance a volcano, for which it usually it is not enough to backtrack one turn.

You should indeed distinguish between the strictly "random" events, and the events that have a cause grounded in what you did in the game, like searising or fungal pops...
      Although, the asteroid strike is supposed to be one of the truly random, but I support MadMonk that even going back a couple of turns the asteroid stroke in the same place and the same year, and I did maybe 4-5 test runs to confirm it (before accepting it... ).

Regarding seeding, remember that Iron Man has the effect to fix the random outcomes, so that if you reload the same Iron Man turn you'll always get the same events, and the same battle outcomes, and the same pods outcomes...
      Even the Iron Man seeds get reshuffled tho, if you RESAVE the original turn, and not just reload it several times from the same identical original save... I don't know, maybe this info could have some relevance also in case you're not using the stupid useless Iron Man setting....

I think that Prima Guide had some info about Random Events that could be found nowhere else, I'll check this evening at home.
      I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

In this case, it is the Sunspot activity that shuts down communications that's causing me angina. I'm trying to give Morgan (yes the same Morgan) support by giving him a few bases built for the pupose, but sunpots just threw a massive wrench into that. Winning the game is a foregone conclusion, I'm just playing now, but this this going to put a damper on my fun.

Comment

Prima's Guide gives the formula:

No Random Event occurs before Turn {75 - [DIFF x 10]} (ie, 75 minus the difficulty level x 10 where Citizen is "0" and Transcend is "5")

Each turn, the game randomly picks a base. If fewer than 100 bases on Planet, it picks a number between 0 and 99, and if no base corresponds to that number (eg it picks "80" but there are only 40 bases) then there is no random event.

If the picked base is less than size 4, or is the only base of its faction, or is still under the effects of a Random Event (eg, in the middle of a famine spell), then no event takes place.

After all the above conditions are fulfilled, a Random Event takes place. All are equally likely (except as described in the event) but there is an in-game controller that ignores a "good event" if that faction already has a sizeable lead, or a "bad event" if hopelessly trailing.

If the event picked has no effect (eg "Asteroid strikes Nessus Prime" and no faction has a Nessus Mining Station), then there is no Random Event that turn

G.

Comment

I thought sunspots always happened for 20 years out of every 100, like hercules' approach...
            "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

I feel deprived i've never once saw an asteroid strike and i've played probably around 50+ games
              Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Nope; this is year 23-something on thinker, and is the first sunpot activity in the game.

...unless, of course, the prior periods all happened when I didn't have contact with the other factions, but even with tech stag on a huge world, it isn't likely.

Comment

Working...
                X