SMACall to arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexnm

Then don't do it. Just download the mods created by others... which, by the way, are varied and excellent!

So, you're saying that CtP2 is, without modding, a complete game or are some mods totally necessary? And what about the immense amount of crashing I hear happened with the CtP series?

SMAC only ever crashed on me once, and it was my fault.

Comment

Originally posted by aahz_capone
      Then you are exceedingly lucky.
      (+1)

Comment

Originally posted by aahz_capone
        So, you're saying that CtP2 is, without modding, a complete game or are some mods totally necessary? And what about the immense amount of crashing I hear happened with the CtP series?
        Well, even without mods CTP2 never crashed on me, but it is not a "complete" game without the mods... the AI is horrible, the diplomacy is totally useless... if you want to play the game as it was meant to be played, you'll need mods. And, of course, if you want to improve it too.

BTW, SMAC never crashed on me either. Maybe once. Or twice. Ok, I'll stop.
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
          BTW, SMAC never crashed on me either. Maybe once. Or twice. Ok, I'll stop.
          :hmm:
          (+1)

Comment

Be sure to vote in single games' list:

Comment

Tuomerehu - is your signature line a memorial to Chernobyl?
              Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

aahz_capone said:
                Same here. Maybe twice .
                "CPU not supported" "won't load under insert choice OS here" and other such things you'll never hear from me
                I truly believe SMAC runs so reliably smooth on my PC because it is a simple basic old slow, but solidly-built, computer.
                I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Vote in the mo$t meaningful way po$$ible - buy the game! It'$ $till in the $tore$.

Comment

I already did, I doubt anyone here lacks a copy.
                    (+1)

Comment

Actually, I've bought 2 copies of SMAC. I like the manual so much I thought I had to have an extra should I lose the first. Also, while I'm not the biggest fan of Alien Crossfire I got that with my other copy (Planetary Pack) of SMAC. Maybe I'll get around to playing it in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpshooter
                        Maybe I'll get around to playing it in the future.
                        If not, advertise it here or on e-bay - you'll prolly get more for it on its own than you paid for the Planetary Pack

Comment

Current asking prices are around $100 or something, yes?

-Jam
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

They are both on a single cd, so selling one of them may be a bit problematic. I think I remember seeing another version of the Planetary Pack though, with both full boxes of SMAC and SMAX. My version is most probably a later version (if there were another one at all, but I think so). It's a single disc with SMAC v3.0 and SMAX v2.0 on it. You select which one you want to play from a menu when starting the game (maybe it's like that with SMAX otherwise too, I don't know).

Anyway, the Planetary Pack I got had both full manuals in it, no lousy .pdf:s there , I really hate it when there are no real paper manuals. I don't know about the States, but here in Sweden the vast majority of games nowadays come in DVD keepcases with a thin (if any) manual. Personally, I can't believe companies still charge as much money for them. For me, much of the glory of a computer game is in a real box with a heavy manual and sometimes a poster (as with Alpha Centauri) of a tech-tree or whatever. Besides feeling much more like a real product, it makes for a nice display if I want to have the box visible on a bookshelf or something.

OMG, I'm starting to feel the need for a third copy of SMAC, just for the manual.
                            Last edited by sharpshooter; August 31, 2003, 18:47.

Comment

Working...
                            X