Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ogie Oglethorpe
    replied
    I like both CTP2 and SMAC, but for a chocie between the two the nod goes to SMAC. But to merely say CTP2 is a good game is high praise considering the company it keeps (i.e. SMAC).

It certainly beats hands down the atrocity known as CIV3 and for a strictly historical TBS game as far as I'm concerend the best offering so far in the CIV series (with an acknowledgement to CIV2 as being a great game for its time).

Leave a comment:

• Maquiladora
    replied
    CtP2 out of the box is even more incomplete than Civ3, thats not to say theres alot of bugs in it, most of the bugs in it most people wont see, but if you delve into the files you can see how much they had planned for it, but never had time.

At least they had the foresight to make SLIC language and all the documentation available to everyone and such an open file structure for editing every little detail.

If CtP2 was as inflexible as Civ3 then i might be playing SMAX now. I still have it installed, but mostly for pinching graphics and stuff from.

My votes went to CtP1/2 because of the modding possibilities, and that includes the mods currently available.

Leave a comment:

• FNBrown
    replied
    Originally posted by aahz_capone

In your opinion, what is better, SMAC, civ3 or CtP2?
    I know you're not actually asking MY opinion, but here it is anyway:

SMAC is a finished product. Richly detailed and highly playable.

Civ3 is still incomplete. I do think it could be a great game when they finish patching it. Could have been better, and I think if there's a future for TBS games, it's what we have to build from.

Never played CTP2. If I can get it cheap, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Leave a comment:

• aahz_capone
    replied
    Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
    I bought CtP, played it for an evening, and exchanged it for SMAC.

I bought CtP 2 a month ago because people said it was amazingly moddable.

I still haven't found a way of modding it to my satisfaction but that will come later I hope.
    In your opinion, what is better, SMAC, civ3 or CtP2?

Leave a comment:

• Maquiladora
    replied
    Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia

I still haven't found a way of modding it to my satisfaction but that will come later I hope.
    Well what do you want to do?

Leave a comment:

• Alinestra Covelia
    replied
    I bought CtP, played it for an evening, and exchanged it for SMAC.

Leave a comment:

• aahz_capone
    replied
    SMAC rocks beyond imagination and immitation. And is not as buggy.

Leave a comment:

• MariOne
    replied
    Originally posted by FNBrown
    I've never played CTP. Sadly, I think I DID actually buy it at one point, but never got around to installing it.
    LOL, same by me!
    I THINK I have a "vague" memory that I did buy it at one point, can't recall why, but in case, I probably didn't even unwrap it when I got at home!!!

Leave a comment:

• spartak
    replied
    Voted.

Leave a comment:

• Jac de Molay
    replied
    I played it a few times when it came out and got so frustrated by the utter illogic of the gameplay and UI, I never touched it again.

Smac is a hundred times better.

Leave a comment:

• FNBrown
    replied
    I've never played CTP. Sadly, I think I DID actually buy it at one point, but never got around to installing it.

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied
    What? My favorite game of all time is lower than that crappy imitation of civ? AAARRRGGHHH!!!

I'm going to vote for SMAC.

edit: doh! I forgot that I already had voted for SMAC...
    Last edited by Alex; December 17, 2002, 09:49.

Leave a comment:

• MariOne
    started a topic SMACall to arms

SMACall to arms

For all it's worth, in the Other Games Forum there's a thread for the ACS Game top List....

And SMAC is rated lower than CtP...
Working...
X