Getting back into AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back into AC

I was just wondering how many of you out there are deciding to start playing AC more often after having played Civ3 for a while.

I like Civ3. Lately, I have been thinking about my past gameplay experiences with AC and yearning for them.

I seem to feel like AC is still light years ahead of any other turn based game that I have played. (I admittedly haven't played them all, like the call to power series).

AC is old, but it is still the game that gives me great memories.

thoughts?
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Well....i haven't played civIII (played CivII and Call To Power) so I don't know what it's like. But what everyone says, it's really buggy.

I like AC because is deals with ideology instead of nationalism. It's more easy to relate to and has so many different layers to it that I find really refreshing and innovative.

I played Call to Power (back in the day) and even though there was a multitude of units, it doesn't compare with the diplomacy and unit customization of AC.

That, and AC has those 'oh-so-refreshing' planet busters that make much more destruction than the nukes in CivII.
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I won't play Civ3 at all, rather play ToT then that.

But I've been playing ACx again rigorously after a year break. I've modded the rules a bit to balance some of the techs and stuff (copters only move base 5, come later; tanks a bit earlier; some specials projects come earlier/later; etc.).

Been loving it more now then ever!

Comment

Yes, I returned to it and I'm having a blast! It still is probably the best TBS game of all time...
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

:blast:
          (+1)

Comment

Best TBS ever
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

far better than civ3....far, far, far better....far. in fact:

civ3------------><--------------TKG

Comment

A while ago I took a long break from SMAC to ease the sleep deprivation , not to try another game. Never tried Civ III but have been disappointed by what I hear. Loved Civ2 but prefer SMAC/X by far!

Comment

Civ3 is poor in comparison to SMAC. SMAC is well researched and manages to make the unknown seem convincing.

Civ3 can't even make the bygone seem convincing.
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
                    probably the best...
                    Recant now or burn at the stake!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba

Recant now or burn at the stake!!
                      Ok, ok, it is the best TBS of all time! I just wanted to show some respect to the old Civ2...

Civ3 is poor in comparison to SMAC. SMAC is well researched and manages to make the unknown seem convincing.

Civ3 can't even make the bygone seem convincing.
                      Sig material...
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I have only recently started playing SMAC and it is my new favorite game. Civ 2 was my favorite for years. Civ 3 never grabed me like I thought it would... it's just not what I had hoped for I guess. Although I recently bought the play the world expansion pack and have yet to use it... I plan to soon. It's just too hard to tear myself away from AC. The call to power series never really did it for me either. I have call to power 2 but seldom play that. I recently found a copy of ToT and I do like that game a lot... but I only have so much time to spend on gaming, with work and other responsibilites. Overall I would have to say SMAC is the best game ever with Civ 2 as a solid second choice. I have been trying to obtain a copy of Alien Crossfire off of ebay but always get out bid. Guess I will have to shell out some more dough...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm

Ok, ok, it is the best TBS of all time! I just wanted to show some respect to the old Civ2...

Sig material...
                          Your new sig has earned you your absolution.

But you are right: Civ2 even out-does Civ3.

Comment

Well i've started playing this game again after about a year and its still rocks, its much better than civ3 it has far more inovation and style if only we had more turn based game's like AC.

Comment

Just started my first game in over a month - I defected to Theme Hospital for a while, and I've just had too much schoolwork otherwise.
                              Still love the game. It's fantastic, and for an amateur writer like me it has so much scope for development
                              "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
                              X