No announcement yet.

Self Destruct Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's exactly what I was thinking, MariOne. In one of my current games I have a damaged ogre, with 2 or three stacks of AI Yang approaching in adjacent squares, ripe for detonation. I *assume* a 6-3-1 ogre would behave the same as a 6-3-1 unit that I would build. Has anyone tested this? (BTW, you cannot produce an ogre, you can only find them.)
    "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

Originally posted by MariOne
      Dang, I missed that one!

Can you *produce* an Ogre? Or just find it in pods... Can't recall...

An Ogre is not an "Alien=ChironNative" (PSI) Unit, it's an "Alien=Progenitors" Unit...
      I would figure it does a damage according to its unit stats...

Considering that they *never* heal, the best use for a severely hurt one, apart keeping it in the backlines as extra police unit, could indeed be to detonate it..
      I find myself taking seriously hurt Ogres and disbanding them for mins when starting the secret projects. Never looked at self destructing. If used for self destruct you'll only be talking 3 hps of damage according to the formula for a mark1. Finding a mark2 or 3 Ogre is a rare find indeed.

IIRC (and this is very hazy) I thought disband of the hurt ogre netted something like 50 mins.

This is especially helpful if you want an early SP and have yet to get IA and don't feel like burning some AA's or other units.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I have never gotten ogre MKIII, maybe twice MKII.

Interesting misinterpretation: the first ogre I ever got was MKII, in my first game. I thought: "these things are cool - and easy to get. Great!" So the reality hit me with high velocity (that's what happens when you fall from great heights)

I've never used self-destruct on them. I don't even remember if I ever disbanded them for extra mins.
        hmmmm..... gooood....
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by MariOne
          I confirm that native (wild or bred) units deal 6HP damage (they don't have reactors)
          Similarly, PSI-weaponed Fission units deal 6HP damage for detonation.
          I don't know what other factors might be affecting this, but last night I detonated a spore launcher, and it only resulted in 20% damage against fission units.
          "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

Another superficiality from my part...
            I detonated some worms, of different morale levels, and maybe 1 IoD, but not other kinds.

Also, I realise that I didn't test whether artillery has an influence on detonation strength...
            I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Originally posted by MattyBoy
              This thread demonstrates that there are two classes of SMAC player - those who play MP and those who do not. I'm in the latter camp and have never had to understand how self-destruct works as I never face coordinated attacks.

This could very well be a good subject for a seperate thread.

Excellent observation, MattyBoy.

Having myself moved from enjoying the game in single player, to multi-player mode, there is hardly any comparison when facing an attack from the AI, compared to one from a human opponent. If that opponent has much more experience than you... Your faction will come to a very quick end, especially if your caught unawares.

Now, for me any ways, there is just not that much appeal (or any challenge what-so-ever), in playing the game in single player mode after having experienced multi player SMAC.
              This is what it means to be a Spartan. It's not the killing or the suffering that matters. It's the purity of focus, without fear of death or pain.

Comment

Working...
              X