Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highest number of tech advances in a single turn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highest number of tech advances in a single turn?

I just finished a single-player game on a 96x192 sized map and, due to the large area, I managed to collect an astonishng number of artifacts from Unity pods. Since most of my bases had already accessed artifacts, I began stockpiling them in one city in anticipation of getting the Universal Translater there.

When I finally got it, I cashed in all of my artifacts and pulled in 23 advances in one turn, including the advances that were awarded for getting advances that award new advances (whew.) I went from Chaos Speeders all the way to Stasis String Deathspheres in one game year.

Needless to say, I won the game.

That's the most I've ever managed. Anyone else have a higher number?

Re: Highest number of tech advances in a single turn?

Originally posted by clocknova
    I just finished a single-player game on a 96x192 sized map and, due to the large area, I managed to collect an astonishng number of artifacts from Unity pods. Since most of my bases had already accessed artifacts, I began stockpiling them in one city in anticipation of getting the Universal Translater there.

When I finally got it, I cashed in all of my artifacts and pulled in 23 advances in one turn, including the advances that were awarded for getting advances that award new advances (whew.) I went from Chaos Speeders all the way to Stasis String Deathspheres in one game year.

Needless to say, I won the game.

That's the most I've ever managed. Anyone else have a higher number?
    I once got all the advances in one turn.....Using the scen editor!
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Re: Re: Highest number of tech advances in a single turn?

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
      I once got all the advances in one turn.....Using the scen editor!
      Cheap!
      ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
      ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

@ clocknova - the highest number I ever got in a single turn was a combination of tech trade, artifacts and research - total of 12 techs, so I got from Gatling to Fusion... But that was one giant leap you did

Comment

uhm 2 (SoHB)
          Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Well, if you just store artifacts for the sake pf increasing this odd statistic, it's no more than a curiosity...
            Ofter, without particular effort, when I build the EG not too early, and I'm on a huge world wit lot of ocean, there are many techs to trade and I get up to a dozen new ones just by trading...

also, you can get a nice bunch if you combine the Universal Translator with the late Secrets discoveries

Much more interesting would be asking how many techs *from your labs only* you could get in a single turn.
            This could be a bit of a mot, self-amusing feat, that is obtaind by fiddling around, and not going for vicotry, just like getting the higest base population...
            for this reason, I rarely get 2 techs per turn from labs in the end game, and only once got 3...

Remember, that have *one* huge SSC (Super Science City) won't do, as the labs from a signle base can't be carried over to next research...
            I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Remember, that have *one* huge SSC (Super Science City) won't do, as the labs from a signle base can't be carried over to next research...
              I have never successfully built what could be called a Super Science City since I was too busy building PBs and Shard Choppers... But I do decentralise all my energy flows so that, say for instance my capital was destroyed by an asteroid, I could continue near as normal within a decade or so.

Comment

6, i think.

Universal translator->secrets of creation-> secrets of AC-> Secrets of manifolds->something else->something else->the tech i was researching the turn i built the UT

of course i'm sure i've done more some time in the early game with trading

Comment

TKG, funnily enough, whenever I tried to reasearch secret tech in a sequence, even when I was capable of selecting them in a row (had all the preqs and techs were available to select) I wasn't able to get them all, until my next research discovery I couldn't select more than two in a row (even with UT)

Comment

I wasn't actually trying to save up artifacts for a research explosion, it just happened that way.

Comment

How many pods did you pop to get your 23 AAs? I'm in the process of doing some stats on the probability and would appreciate your input. From my preliminary impression so far, I'd say you'd have popped quite a number!

BTW the level of difficulty would of course be an important variable in the rate of (normal ie non-AA generated) tech advances.

Comment

I'm still beating you all.
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Well, there were a lot of factors in my favor. I was on a custom-sized, overly large map, and I was the only faction on a very large landmass. I could go back to the map, since it was a custom, and count all of the pods on the continent, if that helps. I just went around with a group of speeders and collected them all. Every time a speeder was cloned by a pod, pod-popping got that much faster. When a significant number of artifacts were gathered on the other end of the continent from myu bases, I would send a transport to get them.

I was also playing at Thinker difficulty.

I didn't do anything funny with the map to give myself any more pods than usual. And no cheating, of course.

Comment

Under the old unpached smac, where if you held a aircraft (gravship is easiest) over a pod, you could pop it and it would still be there for infinite uses, I collected over 1000 alien artifact in one game, and cashed them on the second to last turn.
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

clocknova:
                              Any figures would be of interest, thanks.
                              It certainly helps to have the whole large continent to yourself and ocean transport (if there are no enemy skimships hanging around) is certainly quicker and safer (mws lurking in xenofungus are a real pain). I once had the opposite happening where I collected some AAs in the middle of enemy territory in another continent - all had to self-destruct in the face of enemy attack.

LS:
                              The patched version should have preserved the ability of air and grav units to pop ocean pods. It's tantalisingly taunting in the late game when all's revealed and there are dozens of unpopped pods in oceans inaccessible to your naval vessels.

Comment

Working...
                              X