Intercepter Crash-A Fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercepter Crash-A Fix?

Playing smacx with win98 on a Dell 450, I was never (and I mean never) able to complete a game of smacx because of the "intercepter crash." Then my sound card broke, so I disabled it. Guess what? I was then able to play and consistently complete smacx with no crashes whatsoever. If the mouse wheel fix doesn't work for you, you might want to try disabling your computer's sound card. For those of you who try this, please let me know if it works for you.
    I now have a Dell 8200 with wxp, and I have no problems at all playing and completing smacx, after inserting the force . . . =1.

Crash all the time with Winxp crashes. Where do I do the insertion , I should say I'm pretty new at being other than a user.

Comment

after inserting the force . . . =1.
      What does that mean?

I can usually avoid the interceptor scramble crash by disabling my antivirus program. But once in a while, I still get a crash. And when I get a crash in a particular game, that game seems to be susceptible after that. I would be very interested in trying your method.
      "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

I think he refers to ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 in the Alphacentauri.ini file.

Comment

Oh, yeah, the XP thing. You're right. Thankfully, I don't have XP. I'm just interested in the scramble issue.
          "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

Update

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 is what I mean't. I apologize for any confusion.

Comment

Guess I'm a little dense, but and so, since I don't find that line in my .ini file for ac do I insert the whole thing and is the position important in the file?

Different question ? is the interceptor crash and the WinXP midgame crash( with or without any interceptors) the same thing or only somewhat the same appearing and perhaps not related?

Sorry gang, just reread the thread and got the point this is a smacX fix
              Last edited by Kajak; September 28, 2002, 15:30.

Comment

Kajak - That line is indeed also for SMAC. It appears in "readme.txt" under "Additional Tweaks":
                ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1
                If the game crashes intermittently, try adding this line.
                I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Re: Update

There are many threads that have already covered these points:

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 is only required for Pentium 4 (W98 or XP) - XP with Pentium III works fine without it

The only documented solution to the interceptor crash that I know of (correct me if I'm wrong) is to use Norton CrashGuard, which intercepts the crash and allows you to play on. Unfortunately, that only works on W98.

Comment

Working...
                  X