Orbital Insertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orbital Insertion

It seems to me a recall reading some place that eventually Drop Troops could be put anywhere using Orbital Insertion. Does anyone recall how you get this?

Edward

The Space Elevator SP or the Applied Gravitonics tech (usually a bit later than the Space Elevator, but the Space Elevator is useful anyways). Very fun to drop all over the map.

Z

Comment

Its enormous fun to drop a quantam bhemouth on your opponants - sorts out the men from the conquered...

(+1)

Comment

For the ICS addict, it's great fun to sprout bases (cities) all over the planet although unlike military units, colony drop pods have no move (ie cannot build) until the following turn.

Comment

Can Orbital Insertion bypass air defenses that would stop a regular drop troop assault?

Comment

Short answer - No

Another neat thing to do is create Noodlepods - they can build anywhere along their (2 turn) flight path, so you can set up bases reasonably distant from your empire after you get to 16 tile range (ie up to 31 tiles from your nearest home base - they crash on the 32nd)

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
              Another neat thing to do is create Noodlepods - they can build anywhere along their (2 turn) flight path, so you can set up bases reasonably distant from your empire after you get to 16 tile range (ie up to 31 tiles from your nearest home base - they crash on the 32nd)
              Fusion Needlepods are fun !!

Just be sure to turn off "Air units automatically return for refueling" (or whatever it is), the first option in the Automation Preferences, or it can be really frustrating ("no, don't turn back, you're one tile away from where I want my new base, and you have 12 fuel left!!")

Z

Comment

Hmmm, arent Chopper pods better in every way than noodle pods, being able to travel for several more terms...

I guess if your doing some ungodly ICS then it'd be annoying if the choppers keep stopping in your own bases, needlejets arent afflicted with that bug.

Comment

For the ICS addict, it's great fun to sprout bases (cities) all over the planet although unlike military units, colony drop pods have no move (ie cannot build) until the following turn.
                  IIRC, equipping the Drop Colony Pods with gravimetric struts gives them an added movement point, allowing them 2 move per turn.
                  Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                    Hmmm, arent Chopper pods better in every way than noodle pods, being able to travel for several more terms...

I guess if your doing some ungodly ICS then it'd be annoying if the choppers keep stopping in your own bases, needlejets arent afflicted with that bug.
                    Blake,

Agreed!

Chopper pods are better in every respect except they come later. Same price in terms of mins and far greater range.

OTOH having them aloft can make them vulnerable to attack by any unit as they 'land' every turn. SO unless you rule the skies, sea, and land in the general area you wish to they are subject to interception/destruction as opposed to noodles which are subject to air to air only. But if you are attempting to establish a far flung base chances are you need to have a secured area anyway as drop reinforcements will likely be out of range pre-orbital insertion.

As for me I prefer simple drop pods. They are reasonably priced and allow island hopping to the eventual destination. Very rarely do I find the need to have the range associated with a chopper or noodle pod.

Og
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                    X