No announcement yet.

Hi, New to Boards, & Have a Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the community and don't hesitate to ask questions about strategy and the game mechanics. The vets around here are always ready to answer them.
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

^^ Sensor Arrays :=)
      I first thought u were talking 'bout Condensers...

In my Experiencethe AutoRoad- Option builds only straight Roads between the Bases.
      I Tend to Automate my Formers at some Time.. usually when i hit the 120' Mark on my NonCombat-Units... :=)
      Okay I like Huge Maps I have to permit.
      Last edited by Main_Brain; July 31, 2002, 09:22.
      Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Right, sensor arrays...
        "Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean there's not someone following me..."
        "I shall return and I shall be billions"

Comment

Who by the way should be build on the square you build your Base on (except with Domai.. My Terraformang can never keep up with his expanison )

Comment

why not with Domai ? I build capt... sensor arrays, I mean on the square of my base, most of time

Comment

I also like sensors on the base square but not so much that I will delay my expansion so the formers can catch up. Also I really like sensors on the extremities of my lands for a little more notice of folks floating by
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Spoot
                I have Civ. III, but I find SMAC much more interesting and fun
                Aha! another one has crossed over from the dark side!

ah yes sensors. i play with the fog of war on so i can always see where i need them to go. if you don't know, fog of war darkens the tiles you don't have in your view (either by units, bases, sensors etc.). enemy units can sneak around in the fog of war and you won't be able to see them even if its in your territory. with the fog off, you can't tell which tiles you see and which you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoot
                  I have Civ. III, but I find SMAC much more interesting and fun
                  One more of the Dark Side, indeed. Sounds funny, but hey, what if SMAC was REALLY far better than Civ III ?

Comment

it is

have you played it?

Comment

I full Heartly Agree on Smac/X vs Civ3.
                      I dunno I think the Expectations were far too high on CivIII or it was just that %/% Corruption System which I hated, but that would lead to another Smaxc vs Civ Topic I'd like to avoid ;=)

@Pandemoniak: I simply cant keep up with my Colonilsation Efforts
                      With Domai You can expand and Grow at an INCREDIBLE Speed. And Im not talking about that Fluffy 100 Bases in 100 Turns thingie..
                      I mean in Planned.. -30% building cost of the CP +2growth.. drop demo in and yaaaaay
                      With other Factions I have to slow down at some Point to drop in a Former or two but Domai.. nope Sir keeps on going
                      Problem is that usually my first Formers get build fairly late.. I research C. Eco first but as all my initial bases will bump out CPs liek crazy..
                      So at first I lack Formers and later well it can be a real Pain to move Formers from your Core Bases to the Fringde
                      Also at the Beginning it takes quite an Amnount of Time to build a sensor, at your (safe?) Core bases a waste I experienced. Better build some BoreHoles instead , you also get the Problem that your Colony Pods really come faster rolling than you ncould prepare half of the Spots.
                      But the Main thing is that I choose Demo whenever i can and well the Formersupport .. Pain pain..

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain
                        I dunno I think the Expectations were far too high on CivIII or it was just that %/% Corruption System which I hated, but that would lead to another Smaxc vs Civ Topic I'd like to avoid ;=)
                        Or is i just the governments that are oh my god so simplist compared to SE ?

@Pandemoniak: I simply cant keep up with my Colonilsation Efforts
                        With Domai You can expand and Grow at an INCREDIBLE Speed. And Im not talking about that Fluffy 100 Bases in 100 Turns thingie..
                        I mean in Planned.. -30% building cost of the CP +2growth.. drop demo in and yaaaaay
                        With other Factions I have to slow down at some Point to drop in a Former or two but Domai.. nope Sir keeps on going
                        Problem is that usually my first Formers get build fairly late.. I research C. Eco first but as all my initial bases will bump out CPs liek crazy..
                        So at first I lack Formers and later well it can be a real Pain to move Formers from your Core Bases to the Fringde
                        Also at the Beginning it takes quite an Amnount of Time to build a sensor, at your (safe?) Core bases a waste I experienced. Better build some BoreHoles instead , you also get the Problem that your Colony Pods really come faster rolling than you ncould prepare half of the Spots.
                        But the Main thing is that I choose Demo whenever i can and well the Formersupport .. Pain pain..
                        Ok, right... Most of time, I get C. Ecology quite quickly and support them, so thats propably why I dont extend THAT fast...

Comment

Yeah Its certainly true that the SE-choice raised my Expectations for Gov. styles

I place my Bases very close to each other(okay not Yang-close..) 2 free Spaces apart the most of 'em.
                          Well and as I generally auto. most of my Formers....
                          On the Bright Side on terraforming ist that my cityPlacing totally screws ZOC so that an Sensors in the Middle of 3/4 Bases is enuff ;=)

Comment

Originally posted by TKG

when you move the transport into a base, it doesn't cost movement points to unload you mean?

also something semi-irrelevant, but regarding transports, try putting an infantry transport (only 16 mins IIRC) in a sea base. it allows units to move freely from land to sea base without amphibious pods.
                            TKG

Nice point on infantry transports. I've found them to be an interesting gambit. For those of you that have SMAX use of an infantry transport by Sven is a real boon.

Consider Sven's weaknesses. He is hampered by a -1 growth and a -1 efficiecny. This coupled witht he fact that he is normally sea bound which while rich in energy and nuts is starved for mins. Add to the fact that sea chassis units are expensive compared to the land alternatives and Sven seems to be a slow starter.

With the free pressure dome on the first two colony pods you have a bonus over the other factions. That rapidly disappears though as the other faction pump out cheap colony pods at 3 rows of mins verses 6 rows of mins(IIRC). So by investing early in an infantry transport you can take advantage of your free pressure dome and go land bound with infantry colony pods ASAP. Here also is a little tidbit, if you have any unit next to your seabase you can move the sea based units aground onto the unit. So, proceed as follows with SVEn,

1. Free 10 mins. build garrison unit for police purposes (or build infantry transport and nerve staple before you hit pop 2 at transcend level.) Infantry transport is 2 rows of mins so at 0 industry its a full 20 mins at +1 industry its 18 at +2 16 etc.

2. Time production of colony pod to coincide with pop 2 growth.

3. Load colony pod on infantry transport and move inland. (preferably on a river so that you can disembark your colony pod and move further inland and establish base all on the same turn.

Here are some other generic uses for infantry transports.

a. Early inthe game you can gain former turn adavantage by using your infantry transport to transport your former into a square and then start t-forming on the same turn.

b. Allows easier infiltration and probe actions as you can ahave a probe team outside speeder range and still strike. Likewise you can stay outside sensor range and have a probe team conduct actions from 3 squares out (4 if PT is elite and 5 if PT and Transport are elite) Triple those figures on roads.

I have come to really like these babies as they have fabulous utility all through the game. They can be used as garrisons during FM or other negative police to prevent worm rape.

Of all the factions though I think Sven and to a lesser extent Santi get a lot of use out of these babies as they come early inthe game to them (advent of Flexibility). Later inthe game the objective becomes a rush to D:AP, MMI, and fusion and the window of opportunity and usefulness becomes significantly shorter. But as I said for Sven who starts with flex and Santi who needs but one tech to get flex they can really offer some unique wartime and peacetime solutions.

Og

PS. By the by Spoot welcome aboard to the greatest TBS game made to date.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                            X