Do You Ever Just Play A Mindless Game Of SMAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Ever Just Play A Mindless Game Of SMAC

You know the kind you just kind play for the hell of it.

You act a bit reckless with your units.

Attack when you ordinarly wouldn't.

Tell Dee or Yang to piss off even when it was a simple request.

Or maybe say the hell with leaving troops in a base.

Ever just let the Planet Busters fly and soak the air with gas.

Ever let Santiago know she will have to lick your boots if she wants that piece of land next to the sunny mesa. Ooops sorry that may just be an edit of mine.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Hell yeah. Sometimes, just to see what happens, I toss everything I have at the first faction I encounter. There's something surprisingly fun about being called a "treacherous pig" and having no-one to trade with.

Sometimes, just to see what happens, I say "Screw the U.N. Charter" and equip every unit I have - especially needlejets - with nerve gas. Riddle me this: How do you kill half of Planet's population in five years? I racked up 2,000 years of sanctions once.
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I hate playing a sub-optimal SMAC game. Feels like a terrible waste of time. At most, I'll save, then muck around for a few turns to try some things out.
      "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
      "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
      - Pekka

Comment

If I just won an early economic or diplomatic victory, then perhaps I'll play a few more turns, using Planet Busters, Nerve Gassed units and Genetic Warfare to try and wipe out the other factions.

Otherwise, if the game is still going, and it still counts towards a score, I do put enough thought into my decisions.
        "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
        "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
        "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

sometimes i do. i might create a scenario where every faction has all the tech (except i'll leave one. once you discover a tech it creates units for you. otherwise the AI will just build native life ) and just PB everything, or take out the whole world in 2150 with string deathspheres .

other than that, i might just let it go after i've won...

Comment

Eh. Forget optimization. Just have fun! Even if I haven't won yet (and I'm playing on Ironman ) I still sometimes declare wars for no good reason.
            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

uh, the AI usually declare war on my and does nothing about it, so instead of declaring wars for no good reason, i ACT on my existing wars for no good reason

Comment

I haven't done that since I just got SMAC 2 weeks ago. I might try it with UoP so once I get all the techs bye bye Planet

Comment

Sometimes it is worth the risk to leave bases undefended; after all, if you can't use or don't need the police effect, you're paying the salaries of those guys to just sit around all day drinking, downloading or otherwise (ab)using XXXX - they could instead have been a hardworking former or crawler or two - then to top it off soldiers just become obsolete in ten or twenty years and you've got to buy them again.

Comment

Once I played a game where I got stuck and doomed to extinction due to a number of reasons (bad starting location, wrong strategic decisions and general lack of skill comes to mind ), and then I decided to have some fun and started to destroy Morgan and Lal using nerve gas and genetic warfare (with a few Planet Busters thrown in for a good measure)... Damn, it was fun!
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

All my games are mindless, reckless and I allways go for alliance with Miriam.
                      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

silly u :=)
                        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I sometimes just roleplay a little... Not wanting to exterminate a pet faction, or perhaps not wanting to ally with the Hive... You know - play as if I was a character from the game, not just some computer nerd.

And - you should build many PDs and fire them freely. The satisfaction of blanketing the enemy with them is just too great to pass up, once in a while - they are really just too fun to exterminate others with. Ofcourse - they destroy any improvements, so many times they are quite inefficient to use.

But... it's the feeling.
                          Have you had your crack today? www.timecube.com

Comment

I just can't play a mean game. I even tried to be completely evil once. I started as Yang, figuring I'd gather up enough tech to gain proper infamy all at once, and then I'd just go around using PS/Planned/Power with small hordes of nerve gassable rovers and just one day up and obliterate whatever factions were handy, regardless of diplomatic status with them. If possible, I'd nerve staple whenever possible (even just for the heck of it) if I hadn't installed the required punishment sphere in that city yet. I think I ended up doing the completely opposite thing and got diplomatic victory in the end. Silly me... One day I'll play an evil game... really...
                            "Never underestimate the human aptitude for stupidity"

Comment

Aren't all games of SP mindless - its not as if the AI has much brain!
                              (+1)

Comment

Working...
                              X