No announcement yet.

Which SP is the coolest ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the translator (or the Firaxis people even) hit on the 'tornado' meaning of 'twister' insteasd of the 'distortion' meaning. It might be interesting to see how it (or the other SPs) got translated into other languages.

Comment

I voted Ascent to Transcendence and ToE/Supercollider.
      The latter because I'm a scientist, and the Ascent because I think/hope/fear everything else will come sometime.
      I think we'll get sometime something which would be called a ToE, although (not being an expert in the field) I think the string theory stuff is too complicated. All other advances we have made since the 16th century actually were simplifications (which means simpler concepts, sometimes more horrible maths, which is not a contradiction). I've not yet read anything about string theory having less requirements (as both quantum mechanics and relativity have as opposed to Newtonian mechanics).
      Ascetic virtues: I'm already catholic (see the movie), but not an ascetic one . Weather paradigm: I don't see what is special in it, or how one can make a "quantum leap" (silly expression ) advance. Weather is a chaotic system and advance means probably "increase computing power by a factor of 10 and you can get quite exact forecasts for six hours more". And so on. So "really cool" is to completely change the structures of consciousness.
      P.S. Pandemoniak, I love your signature
      Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Oh, maybe I should add for non-physicists: For physicists, a Theory of Everything is "simply" a theory which unifies the principal forces of electromagnetism, gravity, weak and strong interaction. This is already achieved (I think the Nobel prize 2000 was awarded for the final bit) for all except gravity. After this, there is as bondetamp said just maths, quite a bit of maths, and not to forget quantum fluctuations. At least if one follows the dreams of those who work a the ToE.
        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

human genome (i guess we could cure things) UT (i wouldn't have to learn french anymore! not that its bad i just hate my teacher ), weather paradigm and nano factory (it would be sooooo useful!)

Comment

Merchant by far for me. You get it early in the game and it never expires unlike the civ counterpart. It's always the first secret project I build and always in my HQ (no ineffic) which gives me a great bust for energy and research. If I'm lucky enough and my HQ is on uranium, than I'm a happy happy despot.

Marc
            Marc

"Peace, love and Planet Busters..."

Comment

Merchant by far for me. You get it early in the game and it never expires unlike the civ counterpart. It's always the first secret project I build and always in my HQ (no ineffic) which gives me a great bust for energy and research. If I'm lucky enough and my HQ is on uranium, than I'm a happy happy despot.
              Marc, please read more carefully. the question was about building it In Real Life. We already have plenty of Merchant Exchange, adn the world wouldnt be better/worst if we had one more, unlike the Universal Translator, for example.
              "Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean there's not someone following me..."
              "I shall return and I shall be billions"

Comment

I would like to see Universal Translator coming to life.

With it we could understand every possible language there is (Why isn't this Secret Project called "the Babel Fish ). We would understand why and how the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids, ect...

I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

I allways have to get Comand Nexus, Citizen's Defence Force and Weather Paradigm. and I allways play Spartans.

ascetic virtues wouldbe cool too but, I usually play with police state SE choise, so I don't really need it.

Cyborg Factory is another must have but that was not in the list. (and so is that naval yard thingy and that cloudspace academy)

aaglo: same here.
                  My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

look again. cyborg factory is in the list, its just called cyborg usine (which is factory in french) because pandemoniak didn't know what it was in english.

Comment

I voted for Theory of Everything and Voice of Planet.

Theory of Everything-If this was possible IRL we'd know practically everything.

Voice of Planet-We'd know just how much the planet dislikes us drilling for oil, polluting the oceans, and filling the air with exhaust fumes.
                      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemoniak

Marc, please read more carefully.
                        Ack! My bad dude! IRL, Space Elevators. But I think I read somewhere something about the gravitational pull, soil structure and some other factor makes it very unlikely for one to be built on Earth.
                        Marc

"Peace, love and Planet Busters..."

Comment

Re: Re: Which SP is the coolest ?

Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Planetary transit system! going to leningrad would be so much easier...
                          Wouldn't you need a time machine to go to Leningrad?
                          He's got the Midas touch.
                          But he touched it too much!
                          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
                            I would like to see Universal Translator coming to life.

With it we could understand every possible language there is (Why isn't this Secret Project called "the Babel Fish ).
                            Because it is supposed to actually work?

Comment

Well, I'm surprised that more people aren't interested in the Ascent to Transcendence. Aren't you just a little bit curious about that? Perhaps Fireaxis made a mistake in making SMAC so interesting, as now fewer people are interested in foregoing the pleasures of the flesh for those of the Transcendent thought.

Comment

I don't want to ascend to Transcendence... yet. I still want to fool around.
                                I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Working...
                                X