Builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builder

A few days ago I saw a map/scenario called "Ultimate builder map", but I neglected to download it. Now, I wish to download it.

Does anyone else have this? Or something like this, an "ultimate builder map"?
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

IIRC, it was produced by Dilithium Dad; you can probably track it down with that clue (assuming it's true ).

Comment

Actually it's just a large Planet map with some extra land. [whisper]Frankly I like the original better.[/whisper]
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

It's a Huge map, not large. Many tiles have been tweaked for resources to provide better fast-growth landing sites.

IIRC, there is a link to it in DD's sig.

Well, I was right and wrong. There used to be such a link; there no longer is. Here it is from an old post of DilithiumDad's:

Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:

edit for elaboration

Comment

I've never played on DD's map, but I have played a resource rich map - the map for the 'Veterans' game at CGN. I think that you can overdo it with the good stuff. When there's so much, it seems to take something away from the game. I play Yang quite a bit and I'm used to being careful at the beginning, especially with base locations (rivers, monoliths and energy specials in particular) to avoid a stagnation period and to get at least poor research and cash flow going - Maybe I just don't know what to do with all that stuff .

Comment

I use DD's map a lot to test out different building styles. The main advantage isn't that there are more resources (which is pretty negligible really), it's that he has figured out how to manipulate the landing site algorithm to spread the landing sites around the map rather than having them cluster together. This is done largely with fungus and a very few extra jungle squares. The map has a lot of fungus, which can be a real detriment if you expect to really get huge instantly, but it does assure you of having some time to get settled before Miriam etc. come knocking at your door. This saves a lot of frustration when you just want to try a builder game strategy out without having to play a bunch turns only to find out that you are between a rock and a hard place, or conversely by taking a peek via the cheat menu early in order to be sure that you want to play the game out.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
            X