Strategy Guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy Guides

Ah yes, my birthday is coming up, and even though im.....old enough, my family continues to buy presents for everyone (Aren't we nice? )

So, I thought I'd get a strategy guide. I want a big one, informative, easy to read, yet cheap. I don't want to spend too much money....

Any suggestions?
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

The Velociryx one seems to be quite popular, although I've never read it myself.

Never saw the point, really - I'm happy with the way I play and don't see any need for someone to tell me exactly what to do in every second of my game from beginning to end.

I think you can get it at Amazon.com. Just search for the name of the game.
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
      The Velociryx one seems to be quite popular, although I've never read it myself.

Never saw the point, really - I'm happy with the way I play and don't see any need for someone to tell me exactly what to do in every second of my game from beginning to end.

I think you can get it at Amazon.com. Just search for the name of the game.
      Tried searching for it, but i could not find it.

Comment

Try this link:

I copy-pasted it from a thread regarding vel's online strategy guide elsewhere on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Guz
          Try this link:

I copy-pasted it from a thread regarding vel's online strategy guide elsewhere on this forum.
          Um....didn't vel post this guide on the internet....For free?

Comment

No, this is the link for his book at booksurge $14,95 or something), the link for his free online guide i dont know, but you can come there via networknode.org, then going to the link that takes you to alpha centauri stuff. From there it is somewhere in the files archive.

By the way Happy birthday soon!!

Comment

And yes, this guide online is for free, I downloaded it last week and i personally find it very useful.

Comment

This page lists all tools and Vel's strategy guide is amongst them (190K zipped,560k unzipped, 189 pages)

Comment

Support Vel. Buy his book.
                  "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

The version of Vel's guide on the net I think is only V2.0. The version you can buy is V4.0. I would expect that the later one will have (even) more useful stuff in it.

And of course, if you buy it, you get a nice printed copy, and you support Vel! What more could you ask for?
                    Diderot was right!
                    Our weapons are backed with UNCLEAR WORDS!
                    Please don't go, the drones need you.

Comment

As always, thanks guys! I had no idea version 2.0 was still running around out there, but that's good to see! You'll prolly find some version 3.0's out there free as well, but I'm betting that v1.0 has gone the way of the dinosaur (I know I don't have a copy anymore, but if anybody does, that'd be something....go back and look at it in its earliest stages!).

Anyway, highly recommend getting one of the free versions, and if you regard it as helpful to your game, then I think you'll find the latest version (the one available via the booksurge link) even moreso.

Mr. Pres....not to worry....that's not how my guide is written. It's true, you *can* use it as a roadmap to get you from point A to point B, but it's not really intended to be a: "Okay, on turn three, do this." kinna treatment. Just another pair of eyeballs looking at various aspects of the game to lend a different perspective....

-=Vel=-
                      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx

As always, thanks guys! I had no idea version 2.0 was still running around out there, but that's good to see! You'll prolly find some version 3.0's out there free as well, but I'm betting that v1.0 has gone the way of the dinosaur (I know I don't have a copy anymore, but if anybody does, that'd be something....go back and look at it in its earliest stages!).

Anyway, highly recommend getting one of the free versions, and if you regard it as helpful to your game, then I think you'll find the latest version (the one available via the booksurge link) even moreso.

Mr. Pres....not to worry....that's not how my guide is written. It's true, you *can* use it as a roadmap to get you from point A to point B, but it's not really intended to be a: "Okay, on turn three, do this." kinna treatment. Just another pair of eyeballs looking at various aspects of the game to lend a different perspective....

-=Vel=-
                        Vel, what are the differences between 2 and 4?

Comment

Hey man! Version 4 incorporates the changes brought about by Alien Crossfire, organizes and expands on all the existing information, includes specific "how to" instructions that go hand in hand with several of the concepts discussed, and in general, rounds out the things that are perhaps too-briefly touched upon in older versions. And, there's an essay at the back called "Doctrine: Defense" that you might find interesting.....

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                            Hey man! Version 4 incorporates the changes brought about by Alien Crossfire, organizes and expands on all the existing information, includes specific "how to" instructions that go hand in hand with several of the concepts discussed, and in general, rounds out the things that are perhaps too-briefly touched upon in older versions. And, there's an essay at the back called "Doctrine: Defense" that you might find interesting.....

-=Vel=-
                            Okay....What are the changes from version 3 to version 4?

Comment

More of the same. Further refinements along all points, v3 didn't have the step by step "how-tos" nor the Doctrine: Defensive essay, was not as "tight" of a document, and there were some areas that, upon further reflection, I thought weren't given quite enough attention in v3, so expanded them.

The difference between 2 and 4 is almost a total re-write. The difference between 3 and 4 is....I dunno....40% or so? Significant, but not a total re-write.

-=Vel=-

Comment

Working...
                              X