how much better is SMAX over SMAC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much better is SMAX over SMAC ?

I've been playing SMAC for the last 2 years. I never had the chance to get my hands on SMAX though, since it was never distributed in my country (at least I couldn't find it).

From the known additions that i read on this forums, there are some things that i didn't manage to clarify so here are the questions:
    1) after installing the expansion, do u still have a choice to play only with the original factions, or the original settings anyway?
    2) apart from the additions of new techs, projects, units are there other changes regarding the interface (screens, menus etc)?
    3) changes on diplomacy, and AI-human interaction ?
    4) other things i might be missing?

once, i read a review (can't remember where though) stating that SMAX was really a step back for AC, ruining much of the good things the original had. Has there been a relative thread discussing this?

1. You can play the original factions, the new faction or both of them mixed. You can always play SMAC instead of SMAC-X when SMAC-X is installed.

2. No, i dont think so, but there is some techs / Sp / units that really makes new strategies.

3. Some new diplomatic propositions and some new coucil propositions...

4. Many.

5. Just get it and make your mind, SMAC-X is far better than SMAC. And not only because there's the Free Drones in SMAC-X.

6. And if you can send me a copy of SMAC-X as well, thatll be welcome. (see Thread : Another favor is asked to you)
    "Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean there's not someone following me..."
    "I shall return and I shall be billions"

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemoniak
      3. Some new diplomatic propositions and some new coucil propositions...
      There are?

1)as pandemoniak said, you can mix and match your factions. if you want to play a builder game you can choose only builder factions and you wont have as much war (with gaiains morgan UoP PKs angels and drones i got the first battle victory in 2240 IIRC)

3)the aliens are always at war with each other, with you if they get their way, and if you play the aliens, the humans wont really like you that much.

4)new landmarks, new SPs new facilities, new native life, new techs, new weapons armour and special abilites, and a different graphic for mining platforms

it absolutely isnt a step back.

ooo don't they look scary!
      Attached Files

Comment

There's as well a different graphic for Alien Artifact, I forgot
        "Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean there's not someone following me..."
        "I shall return and I shall be billions"

Comment

SMAX is better fr SP but I have seen several dioscussions where dedicated MP players prefer to play SMAC.
          (+1)

Comment

Aside from previously mentioned differences one of the big differences is the fix made with a SMAX patch that finally fixed golden ages. A golden age resulting in +6 growth in bases will allow pop booms, thus evening the score for pop boom hindered factions like Morgan.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

some land marks are added also. Manifold Nexus, Unity Crash Site, that Fossil thingy in sea, .....
              My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Manifold nexus and borehole cluster were added in SMAC v4.0 IIRC

Comment

And the Fossil Field Ridge is useless, which leaves...
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

The maintence cost bug on Thinker and Transcend levels is fixed in SMAX.

The Hunter is no longer a game breaker.

Those two items, along with the Golden Age fix, make it worth getting, even if you never use the new factions.

Part of my preference for SMAX is because of the facilities that make sea (or port) bases potentially much stronger than they are in SMAC. There is a facility to increase the yield from sea squares for each of the three factors of production for sea or port bases.

In my opinion, where the original SMAC factions were rather well balanced, both within themselves and vis. each other, the SMAX factions are more extreme. Both the bonuses and the penalties are larger. Mixing new and old factions can result in unbalanced situations, particulalry in MP.

Having said that, I find some of the SMAX factions fun to play.

Comment

Just a few fill-ins:

SMAX has a couple new natives, the sealurk, the spore launcher and the fungal tower.

Another key fix in SMAX is the energy bug fix. At least for Transcend level you get undercharged for infrastructure in vanilla SMAC.

Unfortunately a couple new bugs were also introduced. Many of us now suffer from the interceptor crash bug or the edge of the world crash. There are work arounds though and the best fix seems to be a lot more computer power.

Several new techs, unit options and even SPs were introduced. Key SPs include the Planetary Energy Grid and the Cloudbase Academy. One of the new base improvements makes sea-based energy parks more effective - the Thermocline Transducer.

Sadly I know of no new diplomacy features, but someone with a good sense of humour added text for the aliens. In games with the aliens the human council has only five members.

There is a new victory condition but it only kicks in for one of the two alien factions.

Aliens have a huge edge starting out and it can be hard to win if you encounter them early. Especially if you are inbetween them. My advice, lie low, give them anything they want to avoid war and wait until you have reseached nerve gas. Gassing aliens causes no environmental damage.

The extra stops on the tech tree will not cause the game to take that much longer.

I prefer any game whether it be single player or multiplayer on SMAX. The only reason I occasionally play vanilla SMAC MP games is that not everyone was able to purchase SMAX.

For me the biggest advantage was in having seven more factions to play with. Although the original seven were well done, it is nice to play someone new for a change.

Comment

Does anybody know where I could buy SMAX?

Comment

I was about to ask the same thing - I've never played it, though I still get plenty of use out of original SMAC. I did a thread search and found a few links, but am not sure if they're still shipping.

Dave
                          "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Look at the bottom of this page.
                            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Is the "Planetary Pack" SMAC patched to 4.0 as well as the expansion? I found the pack at a bargain rack, and liked the game a lot back then.

I started playing some more again after getting into a discussion about the best quotes.

Anyway - Hi! Nice forum you've got here!
                              Have you had your crack today? www.timecube.com

Comment

Working...
                              X