SMAC : Win XP Voice Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC : Win XP Voice Problem

The technology "speeches" are all messed up. Parts of them are being repeated, and the voice itself is different and not "accurate".

When I play the mp3s from the hard disk it works fine, so this must be something with the game.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Here are the Readme references to sound:

WINDOWS NT

Almost all features of SMAC should work under Windows NT 4.0. You'll need to obtain NT Service Pack 3 or higher from Microsoft and install it, which includes DirectX 3 or higher support. Note: Sound support under NT currently
    requires us to use emulated drivers; this can in some cases produce poor sound results, including static and sound breaking up.

In your alphacentauri.ini file, set:

8BitMovieSound=1

This forces the sound quality to 8-bit from the original 16-bit. If your sound card has DirectX compatibility issues, this may improve movie performance.

2. Rename the SOUND.DLL to SOUND.DL_. While disabling the sound, it may correct your original problem.

10. Some Plextor CD-Rom drives have been reported to cause movies to stutter when played off the CD. Contact Plextor for a BIOS upgrade which solves this
    problem.

11. If you're experiencing crashes in the sound.dll, perhaps your sound card is having difficulty supporting the Alien Crossfire's 3D Audio. Try setting the EAX and DS3D entries in the 'alpha centauri.ini' file to 0.

(Make sure that you are running the latest patch, v 4.0 - get it from the Aployton file library - as some other fixes have been made to the .exe program)

I am running winXP with no sound problems at all

(I attached the NT paragraph above as IIRC winXP is a derivative of winNT)

G.

Comment

I have the newest patch and the other changes dont help either.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I have the same kind of problem. I have a SB Live and the latest drivers but it doesn't work anymore.
        Member of the P4 party in the SMAC democracy game
        Running for foreign affairs

Comment

I had the same issue with my old system and an SBLive Value. I tried every trick I knew and nothing helped. When I got the new system I used the built in sound card and suddenly the sound worked perfect. Go figure. I am now using the onboard sound that came with my Intel mainbaord, turth be told the sound is so clean and crisp I am just gonna stay with this instead of putting back my SBL.

Edward

(PS: Try reducing the hardware acceleration of the sound card and see if that helps the problem. It worked with a couple of other old game like TA)

Comment

I also have an SB Live Value sound card. This must be the problem.

Comment

Yes, I have a SB Live Value too.
              An old card and an old game ...... Creative aren't the kings of drivers releases ... i think we must live with this.
              Member of the P4 party in the SMAC democracy game
              Running for foreign affairs

Comment

Hmm, I have no sound problems at all, SB Live Value + Win XP. I did on Win 2000 though. Kinda strange.
                /Cesa

Comment

Start-->Run-->type 'dxdiag'-->click on Sound tab-->Set Acceleration level to Basic. It will fix all sound problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X