About Network Nodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Network Nodes

is there a way to tell which one's of your cities(bases) have free network nodes, other then going cities thru with that alien artifact unit?

bonus question: does constructing a thermal borehole contribute to global warming?
    My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

if you press the "G" button for goto with an artifact, all bases with free nodes will say (unlinked node).
    Last edited by Method; July 15, 2002, 17:43.

Comment

And if you automate the artifact it'll be-line to an unlinked node, also if you automate it and their are no unlinked nodes, it'll sleep until you build one. AA's are the only thing I automate

Comment

about the borehole thing: ned, blake, and fitz (i think) figured out the eco damage formula, and it actually has nothing to do with the amount of terraforming you build, but rather the amount of minerals a base produces. IIRC it was posted here on apolyton a while ago. do you have a link Blake?

Comment

TkG's method is best if you want to figure out the closest unlinked node and would be most frequently used.

For any given node you can tell in the base screen as well. If you try to sell a linked node you will get a message that linked nodes may only be "destroyed".
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Or you could switch your screen resolution to 800x600.
            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

what would that do?

Comment

At 800x600, the linked status of the node is displayed in the base screen.

Comment

The GoTo thing isn't perfect; it misses bases that are on different landmasses or something like that.

Boreholes (and terraforming in general) contribute to ED unless/until you have a Tree Farm and Hybrid Forest in the base(s) involved with the borehole (or other terraforming).

Comment

ok thanks everybody.
                    My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

I hate to automate, but the goto idea looks good.

Up to now I have used the method I learned from Googlie. I select the network node in the base screen and click the button to recycle it. If it has not been linked, it asks me if I am sure that I want to recyle it for 40? ec. I say no.

If the node has been linked the message says something like "Sorry, this node has been linked to an AA. We can't recyle it but we can destroy it. Is that what you want to do?" Again, of course I say no.

This question pops up regularly. Probably should go in the FAQ.

bc
                      Team 'Poly

Comment

The "G" command for artifacts is really good at sea, too. If you get an artifact with an IoD or transport, hit "G" when the transport is active and it will give you the distance to the nearest unlinked node (including pactmates!).
                        Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
                        http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Comment

Even if you don't want to use automovement, using the GoTo command does display the available unlinked nodes to which the AA can travel. You can cancel the GoTo command at that point, richer for the data.

Comment

Another thing about network nodes that I discovered by accident recently:

Although you can't disband individual nodes once they are linked, you can disband them via selecting 'all' on the disband menu, ie. disbanding every node you have.

This probably comes under the heading of cheating, as linked nodes aren't meant to be allowed to be disbanded.

Comment

I don't see much of an advantage in scrapping all of my network nodes!
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X