Litte things about SMAC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Litte things about SMAC.

Not quite sure if thats the suitable name for this thread. Anyway...

I've noticed a lot of little things about SMAC, such as when your Hunter-Seeker Algorithm intercepts a probe team, the world FIRAXIS is among the letters. Or when you discover Optical Computers, there is a "Sometimes I swear their watching me." quote. Or how Cha Dawn is referred to as Fungboy.

Are there any more?
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

it isn't optical computers, it's self-aware machines.
    Hi, I'm a sig virus. Pass me on by putting me in your sig!

Comment

Yes. I had a similarly well titled thread "Easter Egg" about the Fungboy base name "Concordat of Worms" which hasn't anything to do with mindworms at all, and about the extremely clever thought name of Prime Function Aki Zeta-5. In some occasions the Firaxis logo turns up. E. g. Nonlinear Mathematics, or the red thingy which dances through the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm video has been interpreted as a 3d-version of it (I'm not totally convinced about it).

Please search for the threads, I think I've bored the other posters enough with this weird stuff.

My desire to understand the Consciousness base "Tau Collective" as a corrupt clique however stems probably from my German origins ("Seilschaft" = rope party was the expression one used for groups of former communist functionaires in East Germany who helped each other to find good positions in the new system. And "Tau" and "Seil" are nearly synonyms).

If you find more such intelligent stuff, please keep posted, I like it.
      Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Remain in Light is the name of one of Fungboy's bases, and it is also the name of a Talking Heads album. That's not all that intelligent really, but it amused me to see it.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

All the factions except the Believers are atheist, and yet one of the Gaian base names is "The Flowers Preach". I find that rather amusing, but then I'm a sick little man.
          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Indeed, Mr. President. And the voiceover for the Weather Paradigm is a "Gaian Acolyte's Prayer."

Comment

Mr. President, I think at least the Gaians and the Hive are religious factions, (Gaians worshipping nature and Hive the greater "self of humanity") and sometimes I get the impression that Morgans worship money in much the same way.

The rest play: UoP plays science, Spartans play sandbox, erm, war, and PK the little kill-joy imposing the UN charta.

Comment

And, of course, New Jerusalem seems to indicate Miriam considers herself the second coming...

(Rev 21:2 - "And I, John, saw the Holy City, New Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven")
                The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus
                  Mr. President, I think at least the Gaians and the Hive are religious factions, (Gaians worshipping nature and Hive the greater "self of humanity")
                  Actually, now that I think about it, I believe the voiceover for the Temple of Planet is Zakharov raging, "Let the Gaians preach their silly religion . . ." So you're probably right. Yang is usually accused of being a nihilist, but he does seem to possess Ascetic Virtues. One of my co-writers from Beyond Alpha Centauri imagines an extension of Hive culture where Yang is revered as a god.
                  Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

IMO, atheism/nihilism is the religion of no-god Yeah, and in this sense, also Zak has much of a preacher ...

Comment

Working...
                    X