Information On Some SMAC Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information On Some SMAC Pictures

I was wondering around the internet and found this site with some pictures of AC on it. These particular pictures caught my attention. Are these from the early versions or are these in the game somewhere? My only clue is that they are from early versions that were redesigned.

1 http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/011.html

2 http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/012.html

3 http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/007.html

here is the main menue

edit. this picture makes me think it's some kind of mod or something

Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Check out those PK tanks

Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Wow! That's.........different. I think these pics are indeed from an early version of the game. Pretty spiffy !

Comment

This is most bizarre. Look down at the lower right hand corner at the map that shows the entire planet. Is that a feauture that shows mosture or rain fall

Comment

Silly newbies.

These are from prebeta or early beta. If I had to make a bet, I'd say June or July of '98.
          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
            Silly newbies.

These are from prebeta or early beta. If I had to make a bet, I'd say June or July of '98.
            Ah didn't we both say that they were probably early design pictures? I was just interested if anyone had information about the specific items such as features they dropped. It appears that some features were dropped.

Provost Mango?

Comment

I'm just joking with you. It is just that you didn't even recognize the old unit design system.

Various features were dropped for a number of reasons Either they weren't useful, too buggy, slowed down the game too much, or just didn't fit in well.
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                Check out those PK tanks

http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/017.html
                I agree I think they were early pre-release pics. Also I beleive the tanks you refer to are in actuality crawlers if I had to guess.

Og
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Personsally, I think they should've kept the old base design for the University...
                  "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

i dunno ogie... the lasers on the front lead me to believe otherwise...

i actually like that old unit workshop. plus the old mining platforms from SMAC(they're different in SMAX) are better IMO. in the 018 picture what do you take that thing in the water SW of hawk of chiron to be? a unity pod?

Comment

Yep, it's a unity pod.

Comment

Definitely a unity pod. Looks pretty much like the break up pods of unity from the intro movie.

Og
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I forget why they were changed. There was a very interesting reason for it. It escapes me at the moment though.

Comment

Those old graphics are really cool, I wonder why they changed them all.
                            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I have posted these same pics about half year ago... and I was wondering the same thing...

Shame.. this pre-beta versions look better... or different...
                              I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Working...
                              X